The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 10, 2022, 10:23 PM   #26
thallub

The lawsuit against Remington was about Bushmasters advertising, nothing more.

"The Man Card" ads:

https://www.ammoland.com/2010/05/bus...#axzz7NC11RXXb

i thought the ads were stupid back then and still do.
Old March 11, 2022, 12:12 AM   #27
Metal god

Was that really the add that is in question ? Does anyone know the questions they asked to get your "man card" ?

That first part of the add simply does not rise to anywhere near a liable offense IMHO . I'm a strong believer in the intent of your words/adds mean much more then how someone takes it/them .

I've always thought if someone goes to the darkest possible meaning or place a comment or add "could" go without the add or the wording actually going anywhere near there . Say more about the mind of the person reading the add then the add it self .

I'm seeing this general point more and more in society where many seem to look for the worst in a statement rather then any other possible meaning . I'd really like to know what the questions were to get the "man card" .

Lets play a game ? What are some questions in a man card promotion that would make the company/manufacture liable either criminally or civilly for anything a purchaser would have done ?

First off wouldn't what ever the "criminal" did need to be pretty much the same as what was advertised ? "Do you like going hog wild shooting at things" does not mean you want to shoot up a school . Again what possible questions could they have asked that any reasonable person would conclude they were promoting extreme violence on innocent humans ?

I'll say it again , maybe it's your brain going to deep dark places the advertiser had no intention on going .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 11, 2022, 12:35 PM   #28
thallub

The PLCAA allows lawsuits for cases "in which a manufacturer or seller of a firearm knowingly violated a state or federal statute applicable to the sale or marketing of the firearm and the violation was a proximate cause of the harm for which relief is sought;