The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 18, 2019, 08:09 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Long Action AICS Magazines

Looking to upgrade my 300 WinMag Rem 700's stock to a tactical stock/chassis that accepts magazines. I heard that I need to be careful when it comes to choosing magazines. i.e. I can't simply just buy "long action" and expect it work fine with 300 WinMag ammo. Can anybody shed more light on this? Any suggestions for AICS style magazines that work fine for 300 WinMag? I don't reload and only use factory ammo (typically Hornady or Federal) if that helps.
Old July 19, 2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

300 WinMag has a wider head than the descendants of the 30-03 that are associated with long actions. You want to be sure the stock is inletted wide enough in the magazine well area to accept the magazine for your cartridge.

Your best bet is always the horse's mouth. Ask the stock makers their stock fits a Rem 700 in 300 WM.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 19, 2019, 04:24 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

You should be fine with factory ammunition in most all long action AICS mags for 300WM. Unless you're getting really long bullets (a la high BC) ammunition, which is available, but not as prolific as your 180, 190, 200 gr bullets.. Just look at the specs of the magazine from the manufacturer you are buying from and compare it to your typical ammunition COAL. The real bear comes from reloading your own and messing with lead-in. If you're trying to seat your bullets in the rifling, that's where you can run into trouble with the magazines. If you are getting quality magazines, not knock offs, you should not have any trouble.
Old July 22, 2019, 07:21 AM   #4
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Your best bet is always the horse's mouth. Ask the stock makers their stock fits a Rem 700 in 300 WM.
Agreed, this will be the plan.

I see Magpul made a magnum AICS magazine that will fit 300 WM. I just hope it'll fit in the stock(s) I want to upgrade to (of course, I'll be asking them prior to purchasing).