The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2019, 10:51 AM   #1
SmellyShooter

.410 Shotgun Restoration

Complete amateur at gun repairs here. My Father-in-Law had two shotguns (20 ga and .410), one that belonged to his father and the other belonged to his grandfather, and he had left them for who knows how long in the back of his closet and during that time he assumed that they had gone into disrepair and wouldn't be safe to fire. I finally got ahold of them and it turns out they're both completely fine, just a bunch of dust and finish wear. The other issue is the .410 is missing the bead sight and I honestly have no idea how to go about replacing it. So question is how do I fix that?
Old February 7, 2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Doyle

Bead sights are either sweated on or threaded on. If it is sweated on and you can't do that yourself, then you'll have to take it to a gunsmith. If it is threaded on, then you'll have to extract the broken threads and screw in a new bead. You'll need to measure the thread size because there are a handful of different sizes that manufacturers used over the years. Replacement threaded beads are readily available and cheap.
Old February 7, 2019, 11:54 AM   #3
SmellyShooter

I think its threaded on, I'll have to check later since I'm at work avoiding doing work. What kind of tools would I need to remove the broken threads? And what would the best way to measure the thread size? This is pretty much my first experience with something like this so tons of questions.
Old February 7, 2019, 12:48 PM   #4
gwpercle

The easiest fix is to bring the gun to a local gunsmith shop , they can remove old threaded part and replace bead.
While there you might want to look at a fiber optic bead...these are nice.

I wanted to replace my shotguns bead sight and was told they screw in....mine didn't screw in, it was just pressed into a hole on the barrel , the bead shank had no threads....unscrewing the bead got me nowhere . Once out I installed the fiber optic.
I have had some experience gunsmithing but learned a lot at the gunsmith's shop when I screwed something up.... just go there first and avoid making a mistake.
Gary

Tags
410 shotgun , advice needed , amateur , help needed