The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 17, 2019, 08:59 PM   #1
TruthTellers

AK47 owners, what optics do you use?

I've always thought the AK was best with iron sights, partly because mounting optics isn't as straightforward as AR's and partly because I don't think the platform is accurate enough to bother, with a scope at least.

BTW, the context of this thread is with 7.62x39 in mind, not 5.45.

Red dots are an option I guess, not for me, I can't use them due to astigmatism, but for AK effective ranges of 200-300 yards, they'd do okay.

So, for other AK owners, do you use optics with your AK? Why or why don't you and for those who do, what do you use?
Old March 17, 2019, 09:19 PM   #2
Mobuck

"BTW, the context of this thread is with 7.62x39 in mind, not 5.45."

Not that much diff. Pretty much same effective range(due to poor accuracy of both).
Old March 17, 2019, 09:26 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I use a Ultimak rail and a micro red dot. Sits low over the bore and the red dot gives me everything i need for an AK.
Old March 17, 2019, 10:18 PM   #4
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I don't think the platform is accurate enough to bother, with a scope at least.
That is a rather silly statement
Quality AKs are every bit as accurate as a USGI M4
Should our fighting men ditch their ACOGs and ‘not bother’?

That said
If you want a proper educated suggestion, you first should tell us what the purpose of it will be...Fun plinker? Home defense? Chasing steel? Hog gun?
Old March 17, 2019, 10:36 PM   #5
ROCK6

I have out-shot more than a few with ARs using an Arsenal AK; most AKs are far more accurate than the trigger puller is capable of and to say they're an inaccurate platform...is simply inaccurate.

That said, I do like red-dots. If you have an astigmatism, there are some good prism optics out there (such as Primary Arms) which work for many that have astigmatisms; however, they have typical scope eye-reliefs. Another option to look at are some of the holographic optics, as some work better than your normal red-dot optics for those with astig as well: EOTech, Vortex Razor UH-1, and Holosun's.

Lastly, some just stick with a LPVO scope in the 1-4x or 1-6x range with the right mounting platform.

Of course, many just stick with standard irons and focus on the 100-year and in ranges...

ROCK6
Old March 17, 2019, 10:41 PM   #6
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
I use a Ultimak rail and a micro red dot. Sits low over the bore and the red dot gives me everything i need for an AK.
Love the RS mounts
One of my favorite AK set ups is the RMR on an RS mount
Old March 17, 2019, 10:55 PM   #7
Ignition Override

No optics or any other type of tactical etc gear has been bought for, or used on any of my approx. twenty guns, whether rifles or handguns. I own four AKs: all imported.

With decent eyes for age 63, I only use iron sights, but I won't misrepresent myself as a really good or trained shooter.

AR guys are sometimes lucky that AKs have leaf sights (vs. apertures) and either have No side rail for an optic, or the guys aren't in the same area when a trained AK guy/gal with an optic is present.

The owner of a Hungarian (AMD-63?) with an optic was shooting at 300 yards, and when nearby AR shooters saw his target group, they stopped shooting and stared at the AK guy's surprisingly good (to them) results. The AK shooter said "This is getting boring", packed up and left.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 19, 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old March 17, 2019, 11:02 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
That is a rather silly statement
Quality AKs are every bit as accurate as a USGI M4
Should our fighting men ditch their ACOGs and ‘not bother’?

That said
If you want a proper educated suggestion, you first should tell us what the purpose of it will be...Fun plinker? Home defense? Chasing steel? Hog gun?
I have no intention of putting an optic on mine, I'm just wondering what others are doing with theirs.

My use for it now is everything you mentioned except the hogs.
Old March 17, 2019, 11:22 PM   #9
TXAZ

No optics.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 18, 2019, 10:09 AM   #10
amprecon

I've gone Ultimak and mini red dots before, then went back to stock. There was no other setup as good and felt they needed something so I went back to the red dot and Ultimak. It is the most simple and rugged setup I've found so far and the red dot is head and shoulders above the iron sights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dual AK's b.jpg (216.2 KB, 50 views)
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old March 19, 2019, 06:56 AM   #11
Road_Clam

When I was playing around with some handloads and precision I mounted my 4-12x Leupold on a KVar mount. Only problem was the very high placement of the optic and I had to use lots of cheek spacers to get a decent cheek weld.

https://www.k-var.com/kv-04s-optimiz...or-ak-variants
Old March 19, 2019, 07:45 AM   #12
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by amprecon View Post
I've gone Ultimak and mini red dots before, then went back to stock. There was no other setup as good and felt they needed something so I went back to the red dot and Ultimak. It is the most simple and rugged setup I've found so far and the red dot is head and shoulders above the iron sights.
I tried those some years ago and after a number of issues stopped I using them.
-I cooked a few red dots
-Knocked out of alignment during normal use
-Repeatedly loosened even after gallons of thread locker
And frankly they were a pain in the arse mounting & remounting

I guess if you don't have a side rail and don't want to install one, or like the look over function

After trying the RS Regulate mounts I'll never go back
Simple
Rugged
Lightweight
Easy on & off
Returns to zero

Most I have set up with an RMR, one an older compact ACOG, and another has the newer ACSS compact ACOG. After being won over decades ago by the benefits of low power optics on AUG's, I've come to love them on AK types as well.
Old March 19, 2019, 12:37 PM   #13
PushPuller

On my personal AK I did for the longest time have a cheapy quad rail handguard that I put a cheap NC Star red dot on, and to be completely honest it worked flawlessly but not necessarily better than the iron sights. I hated the way it looked so I took it all off. My dad has a side rail on his WASR with an EOtech and you can hit propped up clay pigeons with it from 250 yards out no problem at all.
Old March 19, 2019, 11:10 PM   #14
Ignition Override

Folks, on AKs with limited wear, in 7.62x39, what sort of groups can you get at 100 yards using a red dot or other optic, using quality ammo?

I'm really curious how they might do with the standard aperture sights installed on typical ARs (16" barrels) in .223.

Of course a Romanian or Chinese AK in .223 might prove interesting when using common AR sights.
Old March 20, 2019, 07:11 AM   #15
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Folks, on AKs with limited wear, in 7.62x39, what sort of groups can you get at 100 yards using a red dot or other optic, using quality ammo?

I'm really curious how they might do with the standard aperture sights installed on typical ARs (16" barrels) in .223.

Of course a Romanian or Chinese AK in .223 might prove interesting when using common AR sights.
A properly built rifle will easily group ~2moa even with cheap bulk import ammo.

Tags
ak47 , optics , red dots , scopes