The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 31, 2019, 10:12 PM   #51
clockwork65

Not a thing wrong with it, Reynolds. I'd rather see a kid shoot a gun they're comfortable with than develop bad habits from worrying about recoil. But at 5'1 and only 8, you might need to buy him a basketball!
Old January 31, 2019, 10:32 PM   #52
ammo.crafter

Kid's first

Look at a 7x30 Waters. Good deer/hog round and a very light recoil.

I have been shooting this round for 15+ years and have yet to need a second shot.

Deadly accurate and will put three rounds into a quarter size group at 100 yards.
Old February 1, 2019, 11:54 AM   #53
Tallest

This probably goes without saying, but I think perceived recoil is very much based on, and reacted to, by the kind of sensation. A serious push that moves the shooter but doesn't pop too hard against the shoulder may be less offensive to a youngster than hard, fast recoil that he holds solid against.

I know that a good, thick, soft recoil pad makes it a lot more bearable for me, even if I'm shooting 220 grain round-nosed loads from a light weight -06. I don't mind the "shove" nearly as much as the "jolt" that bruises.

So putting something soft and squishy on it may help as well. Just another $.02

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 1, 2019, 12:35 PM   #54
jfruser

1. Check out Hornady & Federal for reduced recoil loadings, now that Remington no longer makes them.

2. 7-08 is a real-deal medium game round, just as 7mm Mauser was a real-deal service round. Don't expect too much reduced recoil from full-power ammo.

3. I have reconciled myself to the AR15 as a hunting rifle/carbine. Given a collapsible stock and a decent optic, it is miles ahead of any of the centerfire "youth" rifles in terms of flexibility and use-ability by kiddos.

4. My own solution(s) for small-stature shooters sensitive to recoil were:
a. Ruger Compact Rifle in .243Win with a big honking PAST recoil shield.
b. AR15 with collapsible stock in 6.5Grendel
Old February 3, 2019, 08:45 PM   #55
reynolds357

Quote:
Not a thing wrong with it, Reynolds. I'd rather see a kid shoot a gun they're comfortable with than develop bad habits from worrying about recoil. But at 5'1 and only 8, you might need to buy him a basketball!
He is big. I am 6' 6" and he is a lot bigger than I was at that age.
I agree about the recoil. I don't want him becoming recoil shy and developing bad habits. He shot my .224 Valkyrie yesterday and said he wants to hunt with it, we will see. He shoots good. He has killed deer at 220 yards with his 223. The last two he shot were hit good, but still ran forever. The dog trailed one of them about 300 yards, and we found him in a creek bed. I don't know how far the other would have gone, but after it ran over 200, I anchored it with the 257 Roy before it hit the wood line. (Both were lung shots) The 223 does great at shorter yardage, it just doesn't seem to have the energy to get it done on the long shots unless you hit the heart or CNS.

Last edited by reynolds357; February 3, 2019 at 08:52 PM.