The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 3, 2017, 06:58 AM   #26
walks with gun

I spend most of my time working, hunting, fishing ponds and hiking in the woods here in Minnesota, Heck my house sit's out in the middle of the sticks. Over the last 40 years I've carried about every of the most common handguns there are on my hikes and my all around favorite is my old Commander in 45acp loaded with cast trunce cone bullets. I've used this gun and cast bullets to bring home several rabbits, squirrels and knock the heads off a few grouse, it might not be the best bear gun but I shoot it well and figure I can put 7 or 8 shots on target faster than a person can put two shots from a big single action revolver. I'm also somewhat of a four inch .357 fan too, it's a great all around gun for home defense, target shooting, small game hunting, even smaller deer if used right, pretty much a do everything pretty well gun. If I had some extra cash I'd really like to pick me up a GP100 in stainless.
Old June 3, 2017, 09:32 AM   #27
deserted

Yep, I'm still hyping the .327 Federal as the best all-around woods walking caliber. Having carried a single action 7.5" barreled .22 for forty years and not feeling under-gunned in any way, shape or form (I worked in the woods daily for years, and have probably spent more time in the woods than most people ever will), I find that the .327 in a .22 frame is just perfect. Just ordered a bullet mold in a 130grain SWC for my .327s (two S7s and a Marlin 1894).
I think I'll get a SP101 in .327 next.
Old June 3, 2017, 09:34 AM   #28
75218ron

Quote:
Dust and debris will stop a revolver just as quick as a semi auto. Never heard that one before.
Berserker, I've never heard this one before. I believe you may be incorrect.
Old June 3, 2017, 10:13 AM   #29
the possum

All it would take is some of our sticky clay to fill in the locking bolt notches on the cylinder, and it might not lock up properly, allowing the cylinder to spin halfway between the next chamber. Those notches are very exposed where a simple drop in the mud could do it. Or even if it worked for one shot, that mud may get down in the tightly fitted recess where the bolt pops up through the frame, and jam it.

In theory...
Old June 3, 2017, 10:46 AM   #30
ripnbst

Don't overlook 38 Super in a 1911 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 3, 2017, 01:42 PM   #31
Berserker

752Iron, I was quoting another post in this thread, which I disagree with. So maybe we agree. Not sure.

The quoting on this site sucks monkey _______.
Old June 3, 2017, 05:20 PM   #32
Model12Win

I personally feel a .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk the best. Moderate recoil but enough power to handle most anything, with easy to carry ammo.
Old June 3, 2017, 05:45 PM   #33
BigJimP

A well made 1911 in .45 acp ...or a 4" - 6" revolver in .357 mag will both work very well in my view.

It really depends on which one you shoot the best...what fits your hands the best. For animals/or Defense in general -- its all about shot placement ..and picking the right ammo for what you need.
-----------
You have some options today on .357 Mag revolvers...S&W has an L frame 686 plus model ( 7 shot in .357 Mag ) ....or the S&W N frame model 627 is an 8 shot in .357 mag....if either of those makes the decision easier for you. I like the N frames in .357 mag...( the older model 28's ...are a good value all of them are 6 shots / or look at one of the new model 627's - I have a model 28 in 4" and the 627's in 2 5/8" and a 5" ...all of them are very solid guns).

There are lots of very good 5" 1911's out there in .45acp...on a budget - I would look at the new Colts or a Springfield.
Old June 3, 2017, 06:01 PM   #34
Model12Win

A COONAN 357 would be ideal.
Old June 3, 2017, 06:25 PM   #35
the possum

If you have long fingers, maybe. I don't, and many of the possible options get ruled out just because they don't fit my hand. Several other rounds offer similar power in normal sized packages though, like the 10mm, .357 Sig, 9x23mm, etc. The .357 mag can probably be hot rodded more in a revolver, but I'm not sure if an auto will take it. ?
Old June 3, 2017, 07:18 PM   #36
walks with gun

Model12 winchester, I haven't shot one for many years and think it would be a great choice for targets and hunting up to medium size game, but that dang 30 carbine out of a handgun to me is one of the loudest firearms I think I ever shot. I wouldn't mind having one for varmint hunting though.
Old June 3, 2017, 08:44 PM   #37
bamaranger

old saw

You still hear the comment now and again regards revolvers being more reliable than autopistols.........and I think the necessary revision to of old saw is "some".

Some autopistols will not run or tolerate much neglect or abuse. And I have seen more than one revolver that copped an attitude with a case/cartridge under the star, a fouled crane or some issue with its nice adjustable rear sight.

But a modern auto is a pretty reliable thing these days. Nearly all LE and military across a broad spectrum have switched to the auto pistol . Where the revolver comes into its own is with the big cartridges. For an auto to approach the power of the big bore revolver magnums, size becomes a real issue,.... think Desert Eagle. (never handled a Coonan). If one wants that power, it comes in revolvers. Otherwise, I would not condemn a good auto based on the old saw, "6 for sure".
Old June 3, 2017, 08:49 PM   #38
Jim Watson

I think even a good automatic is more subject to malfunction than a good revolver. The thing is, you can usually reduce the stoppage in the auto by hand, the revolver is more likely to call for tools and a time out.
Old June 4, 2017, 08:01 AM   #39
Hal

I was using some reloads I had worked up in .357 magnum, using Red Dot as the powder & using small pistol primers (instead of magnum primers).

It left a bit of unburned powder - more than a bit really...

Some of the flakes found their way under the star extractor.

It wasn't enough to prevent the cylinder from closing,,,,but,,,it was plenty enough to prevent the cylinder from rotating.

It tied up that S&W M19 as tight as a drum.

Had I been the lazy sort (of which there is no shortage of here at this site, based on the plethora of comments I've read over the years regarding cleaning), that supposed "jam free" revolver would have been 100% useless had I put it away dirty, then loaded it up for carry - again dirty.

I learned a valuable lesson that day.......
Old June 4, 2017, 09:11 AM   #40
Berserker

Quote:
And I have seen more than one revolver that copped an attitude with a case/cartridge under the star, a fouled crane or some issue with its nice adjustable rear sight.

What does read sight adjustment, have to do with being a revolver?

Even if the shells are under the star, it still shoots. I had a 50s S&W where the crane came loose. But loose parts, while being an operations issues a little different than function of how a revolver works versus semi auto.

Military and cops use SA because the extra capacity out weighs the risk, and they are trained to take care of their weapon. I suspect many civilians do not clean their gun all that often. Revolver I just hose it once in awhile. Every so many years I open it up, but have yet to find anything in their. Even in my woods gun.
Old June 4, 2017, 09:17 AM   #41
rep1954

I don't think the choice of caliber is all that important between the two as much as the ammunition you choose. I will say that I do favor the 357 Mag over the 45 ACP just because I cut my teeth on it and I suppose I know it better. In either case I've always found what has worked out best for me after 44 years of shooting is to stick with or close to the standard weight bullets.
Old June 4, 2017, 04:39 PM   #42
jetinteriorguy

S&W 627, eight rounds of whatever .38 or .357mag ammo suits your needs. If all I could pick is one handgun and one rifle, they would be my 627 and my Henry .357. Just can't beat the versatility of this combo IMO.
Old June 4, 2017, 08:14 PM   #43
t45

My North Carolina woods gun is my Sig 2022 in 40cal. I don't carry for animal protection. I mainly carry for the 2 legged threat. Occasionally I'll carry my PF9 if I'm hiking and traveling light.
Old June 4, 2017, 10:59 PM   #44
bamaranger

sights and star

I see adjustable rear sights (common on magnum revolvers) as a bit more fragile than the low profile semi fixed rears on many auto pistols. I ruined an adjustable rear on an L-frame myself, while it was securely snapped into to a duty holster. That pistol could no longer provide a useable sight pic 'till the rear leaf was replaced. I got chewed out for that,even though I did not see it as completely my fault.......you do stuff, stuff happens. The fixed sights on the DA service revolvers and the Colt SAA seem far more durable to me, think Model 10, Model 57 (?) and so on. I see the dinky rear sight on my Smith Mtn as it's weakest point. And the tiny screws that anchor the rear sights sometimes come loose, and that fine target sight has some really tiny parts that can go south. Aside, I wish Smith or Colt made a .44 along the lines of the New Service /1917 model

Now some auto sights are adjustable, and some auto sights are not very durable. Despite my like of the G20, its poly sights are not really tough, and I've noticed that the poly front sight on my G34 has a most curious ding in it, though the sight pic remains the same. I likely wacked it on a barricade at a match. Steel sights are likely a good upgrade on a Glock.

I dunno about the comments regards shooting a revolver with a case under the star. My experience has been that if that oddity happens, I cannont close the cylinder, .....no way to fire a round.
Old June 4, 2017, 11:27 PM   #45
bamaranger

cops

You'd be surprised how many cops treat their sidearms. Trained, probably, motivated, maybe not. I've seen both autos and revolvers neglected/abused enough to cause reliability issues.

I believe the current modern auto pistol, (pick your favorite) is far ahead of the early service autos like the M39 and M59 Smiths, and worn out GI 1911's, which likely started the "6 for sure" mantra. Any of the various torture tests of the modern auto, so popular these days , is pretty convincing of how far we've come with the auto pistol.

While most hi cap autos do bring more ammo to the fight, and a faster reload, what I see as their strongest advantage is ease of shooting, very important for all, and a plus to the marginal officer. Range scores as a general rule jumped significantly in my outfit with adoption of a modern 9mmDA/SA auto, despite its dual personality trigger. The stiff DA trigger, and magnum ammo of the big L-frames were just too much gun for some in the rank and file.

Better get back on track. I suppose a woods gun is like any other shootin' iron, to each his own. For me, the lighter, flatter, easier to carry 10mm or .45acp auto has become the way. I won't part with my big revolvers, but they don't get out as much as they used to.

"Hosing down a revolver" now there's a maintenance routine....hopefully not with the garden hose!!!
Old June 5, 2017, 07:49 AM   #46
Berserker

Guns that people plan on shooting at a distance or with accuracy have adjustable sights. You can snob noses and 4" revolvers with fixed sights. You can get SA with adjustable sights, depending on use.

Many concealed carry guns do not have them, so they do not snag.

Signts do not reflect the reliability of gun.

I do not need to worry a out lube to much, or to little, or if my gun likes my bullet. Don't have to worry about limp wristing, and even with an injured hand I can load. Yes, I know there are some tricks to load a semi auto one handed, but I sure don't want to learn or try them under stress.

My preference. Many people like capacity. When I go on coke buys, I bring the 15 shot Glock. I also do snowshoeing int he winter with dogs, loaded with round nose FMJ. No bears or people.
Old June 5, 2017, 07:50 AM   #47
Berserker

If you do get a round under the star in a revolver, you know about it, fix it. No surprises.
Old June 5, 2017, 11:02 AM   #48
disseminator

On the street, or in the woods: 40 S&W gets it done.
Old June 5, 2017, 11:17 AM   #49
Wyosmith

Just me,,,but I have always liked revolvers better for the field use and autos better for town/potential fighting.

Either will cover the ground of the other, but for a "field and stream gun", I have always liked the revolver.
I can vary the ammo without any concern for function.

It doesn't throw out the brass (I reload my own ammo, so that is something I think about)

The single action pulls on most revolvers are much better than on most autos so using it to fill the pot is easier.

Even a cheep revolver is usually very accurate. (Although my revolvers are not the cheap ones) Some autos are as good, but to get revolver level accuracy in an auto you are usually going to spend a lot of cash.

More revolvers come with adjustable sights then come on autos. Again not a concern for fighting, but it is a concern for head shooting birds or squirrels or killing a deer at 70 to 125 yards

But that just my feelings on the subject. It doesn't make me "right" and someone else "wrong".

Last edited by Wyosmith; June 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old June 5, 2017, 01:19 PM   #50
Pathfinder45

Quote:
but for a "field and stream gun", I have always liked the revolver.
That's good, Wyosmith. Honestly, that's all I care about for packing a handgun. I'm not even armed when I go to town. I work all over the Portland metro region doing tree service, armed only with chainsaws and pruning loppers. I escape to the real woods whenever I can, and when I do, a Vaquero 45 is my constant companion.