The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Gbnk82

Backpacks

So I have recently been looking for a pack that I can double as a range bag and possible hiking bag.ive been looking at the pals compatible bags because I would like to be able to attach a few mag pouches to the back to carry to the range.my first purchase was a cheap walmart pack a field line tactical which I returned after 2 days because the stitching was busting before I even used it.now I am looking at the 5.11 packs either the 12 or 24.my question is for the price of these bags +-$100 is there better quality to be had in that range or are the 5.11 packs the best for the price..thanks
Old February 13, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2
JimDandy

I've mentioned it before, but with the USMC transitioning from ILBE to FILBE (or USMC Pack whatever name they land on) they're surplusing the ILBE cheaply. The 3 Day "assault" pack is under 100 new, even less used (though "used" covers a LOT of conditions so I go new), has a thicker shell/fabric than most packs we can get, PALS webbing, a spot for a hydration system (that may or may not be wise in an indoor range for lead reasons) and works well/mates with the main pack good for a bugout bag or backpacking.

It gets slightly better reviews than the MOLLE II system with a buttpack that does abou the same. Plus I don't think the buttpack has PALS webbing.

Military Surplus will get you a tougher/heavier duty item than you can get on the consumer market for cheaper. If you don't want to look like you're playing dress up, then dye/paint/cover it.
Old February 13, 2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Gbnk82

The ilbe packs did come to mind but size was a concern for me it just seems most of those would be a bit to large for what I want.size wise the field line I had was perfect small enough to keep in my car but large enough to fit everything I wanted in it.i feel most Ilbe packs would take up a bit more space but if I was buying a pure hiking/camping or a bob then they would be my first choice
Old February 13, 2014, 02:14 PM   #4
BarryLee

I own a 5.11 Rush 12 pack and have found it to be a very good all around pack. It’s an excellent EDC if you prefer a pack over a shoulder bag. I personally found using a backpack for EDC a little much for me and have switched back to a messenger type bag, but again this had nothing to do with the quality of the bag. I can’t really say if it’s worth the cost or not, but in my experience the 5.11 bags seem to be of good quality. I own three different bags and they have held up well to what I consider normal use.

For hiking I really prefer a pack designed specifically for hiking with a better waist belt, but the Rush 12 would probably work fine for short hikes.

As for a range bag to be honest I’m not sure it would be my first choice, but again if you’re looking for a multiuse bag it could work. Obviously a lot depends on how much you plan to carry, but just guessing you could probably carry a handgun or two, a few boxes of ammo, safety gear, and a basic tool kit.

If you haven’t done so you might consider bags from Maxpediton and Condor.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2014, 02:40 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Bags, packs....

I'd look at www.blackhawk.com www.cabelas.com www.uscav.com www.csmgear.com www.cryeprecision.com www.policehq.com www.galls.com .

Clyde
Old February 13, 2014, 05:49 PM   #6
nemesiss45

Check out geigerrig packs. My next pack will probably be from them. Their selling point is their hydration bladder which you can pressurize to squirt/spray water which can come in handy in lots of situations (and allows in line filtration)... but their tactical line looks like it could pull range bag duty fairly well.
http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-p...pack-1600.html
Old February 13, 2014, 05:57 PM   #7
nemesiss45

Also, I have been using various 5.11 duty items for the past 6-7 years and, imo, their clothes are top notch, their bags and most other items are OK but overpriced, and their boots are crap.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:22 PM   #8
jmr40

I've got a couple of the "3 day assault packs". One in digital green, the other in desert camo, picked up cheap at gunshows. $25-$30 IIRC. They are great day packs for the money. Mine were lightly used, and I've seen a few new for around $90. Just be careful it is military issue. Lots of cheap knockoff's

I don't use mine for a range bag. I found a cloth tool bag from Home Depot to work better than any of the range bags I've seen and they are a lot cheaper.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-...3N11/203224309

Plus, it doesn't scream "guns inside" in my vehicle.
Old February 14, 2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Don P

Quote:
Plus, it doesn't scream "guns inside" in my vehicle.
No it doesn't it screams tools inside steal me!
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 14, 2014, 05:09 PM   #10
nemesiss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
No it doesn't it screams tools inside steal me!
With that logic, maybe the best range bag would be a winnie the pooh diaper bag.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:37 AM   #11
arizona98tj

A couple of years back, when I was gearing up for a precision rifle course, I picked up a 5.11 Rush 72 pack. I needed something to hold everything I might need while out in the desert shooting during the day. (rangefinder, ammo, spotting optic, log book, tools, GPS, wind meter, hearing & eye protection, rear bag, jacket, lunch, water, etc.) With a shooting mat and rifle case in hand, everything else needed to fit in the backpack. I also used the backpack as my front shooting bag.

It did everything I needed it to do and it worked well. I was very satisfied with the results.
Old February 15, 2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Erno86

I do like the sturdy back packs from Ranger Surplus stores, though the closest one to me is about 30 miles away located in Rockville, Maryland.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ranger-surplus-rockville

--- George Orwell
Old February 15, 2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Johannes_Paulsen

I have had good experiences with packs from REI.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500001_Backpacks