The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: General Purpose Revolver, with personal defense in mind
Taurus Raging Judge 6" (.454 Casull, .45 Col and .410 Gauge) 6 9.52%
Taurus Raging Judge 3" 1 1.59%
Smith and Wesson "The GOVERNOR" 3" (.45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .410 Gauge) 16 25.40%
**Theoretical** Smith and Wesson "The GOVERNOR 6" 4 6.35%
Other Large Frame Revolver 6" 8 12.70%
Other Large Frame Revolver 3" 28 44.44%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 29, 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

Judge VS GOVERNOR

Okay so the Taurus Judge has been around for years, proven, effective, realiable...then they made it better(at least IMHO). Taurus added the power of the 454 Casull to the mix, and combine that with a 6" Barrel and you have an effective general purpose revolver(maybe not Conceal Carry or 100yds hunting) but you can still use it as a bedside gun, truck gun or drop a deer at 50 yards or so as well as a awesome bear defense gun. You could probably conceal it if you go with the 3" barrel and for comparison sake, the 3" with 454 gives you the option of a bear stopper over a normal Judge. Now Smith and Wesson, mind you I am still upset with them for the Clinton Administration thing, releases the The GOVERNOR which shoots a .45 ACP, .410, and .45 Colt in an orginal "Judge" size pistol. Here is my a question is having the ability to fire a .45 ACP from a revolver that can shoot 2 other more powerful rounds really worth sacraficing the ability to shoot a 454? Also is it possible to shoot a .45 ACP out of a .45 Colt revolver or did Smith and Wesson actually do something different? I would like to hear anybody else's arguments for or against the GOVERNOR.

My stand is I would rather have a 454, .45 Colt or 410 in a 3" package than .45 Colt, .45 ACP and 410 in a 3" revolver, now the .45 ACP is an outstanding round but it's not really in class with the .45 Colt and 410.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Ozzieman

proven, effective, realiable
Sorry I totally disagree with your assessment having owned 2 Taurus guns, both were very UN reliable revolvers and there customer service is about the same.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

MY PD Poly is completely reliable, and the accuracy with 45 LC really surprised me. It's not my "house" gun, or EDC, but does find purpose next to the seat of my truck when I'm on the road.
For that purpose, all the listed choices were not applicable, so I didn't vote.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 29, 2011, 05:21 PM   #4
tulsamal

Quote:
proven, effective, realiable
I noticed that as well. Funny. Made me think back to previous threads where the .410 pellets were bouncing off a cardboard box.

I would prefer a S&W to the Taurus version. But I would consider either one of them to just be fun guns. "Different" but just for fun. Show me some police departments or military units that are using them.

Gregg
Old November 29, 2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Noreaster

Don't care for Taurus, I owned a couple that broke. The 410 000 buck loads is coming out at the same speed as the 12 gauge 000 buck load (fps) just fewer pellets. I believe there are more efficient choices for SD, but it isn't a bad weapon.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:40 PM   #6
C0untZer0

I'm waiting for S&W to make shells for their 500, maybe a little longer cylinder... It would hold more pellets than a 410

I think it's about as close as you can legally get to a handheld shotgun without the AOW stamp.
Old November 29, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7
mes227

I never liked the Judge or Taurus in general, but I picked up a Governor when they first came out and love it! 6 rounds vs. 5, chambers .45acp, great sights, S&W quality. And the latest .410 SD loads are very impressive.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:49 AM   #8
hydroholic

I like the Raging Judge due to the fact that it can fire the 454 rnd. As far as reliability goes, the Raging series are built better than their other lines. No problems with my Raging Bull ever.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I never liked the Judge or Taurus in general, but I picked up a Governor when they first came out and love it! 6 rounds vs. 5, chambers .45acp, great sights, S&W quality. And the latest .410 SD loads are very impressive.
I have just the opposite opinion. The Governor I looked at was even larger, and bulkier than a standard Judge, let alone my PD Poly. I guess it all depends on your intended use.
Old November 30, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

If Personal Defense is the primary purpose of this weapon... The Judge and Governor are absolutely the wrong weapons. (my opinion)

Get yourself a decent 3-5" .357 Mag or .44 Mag, and call it a day. Forget about all of the .410 crap. It isn't effective out of a pistol barrel, anyway.
Old November 30, 2011, 12:38 PM   #11
mavracer

.410 buckshot from a pistol LOL, If I wanted to hit somebody 4 times with a 32acp I'd just carry my Walther PP.
20+ years ago I had a T/C contender in 45 colt .410 trapsing around the farm I realized that the .410 did little to improve on my 38 special shotshells.
IMHO you can keep either of those giant piles I'll take my 3" 696.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 30, 2011, 01:30 PM   #12
EastKY_DO

My idea of a general purpose, with SD in mind, revolver would be something like a S&W 696 3" (good luck finding one) or a 3-4" S&W Mountaing Gun in .44 Magnum or .45 Colt. I don't see the Judge or the Governor as anything other than novelties w/o any real, practical purpose.

Just my opinion . . . and we all know about opinions.
A ship in the harbor is safe but that is not what ships are for.
Old November 30, 2011, 03:01 PM   #13
3o3brit

Sure, sure.., .410 bounces right off cardboard, and you can't hit the broad side of a barn with .45 from a Judge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNXqaKLuNg
Old November 30, 2011, 03:18 PM   #14
dalegribble

what is the cost of the governer vs the judge?
Old November 30, 2011, 04:51 PM   #15
totaldla

Both the judge and governor are sucker bait.
Old November 30, 2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Chilli9880

Sounds to me like neither are worth picking up. Thanks for the info boys!
Old November 30, 2011, 05:26 PM   #17
fsmitka

I find that big interest in this type of weapon a bit strange. If you buy one just to fool around with, alright, if you have the money go for it. But consider one to use as a serious defensive weapon? Your kidding me. (No I never shot one or owned one, if that bothers you too bad.) A .410 shot out of a 4 inch barrel? If you like .410, get a full size shotgun, at least you would have a chance. You would be better off with one of the mini-9mm that out there or even a 5 shot revolver. At the very least you know where your shots will end up. I can't believe that Smith and Wesson are really copying Taurus. A nice GP-100 or a used Model 19, there are so many other options than a .410 shotgun revolver I am totally blown away with this.

Last edited by fsmitka; November 30, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old November 30, 2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Okay so the Taurus Judge has been around for years, proven, effective, realiable...then they made it better(at least IMHO).
I'd argue that it has been proven it is not effective or reliable.... Out of your options I'd rather have a 6" large frame like a .357. Say a 686 or a Ruger GP100.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:07 PM   #19
Crosshair

Quote:
Sure, sure.., .410 bounces right off cardboard, and you can't hit the broad side of a barn with .45 from a Judge

Yup, the early buckshot loads were indeed poor performers as the soft lead pellets flattened into disks, but with the Federal OOO Buck loads that have been introduced you have some serious performance as the pellets are hard and, even though they are unbuffered shot, flatten very little and stay together.

Here is my test that I did with the Federal buckshot load. 24" of water penetration.

Water penetration test: Federal Premium .410 000 Buckshot 4 pellet in a Bond Arms Derringer

Remember this is in a derringer, in a revolver you will get more velocity and more performance.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:26 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:

I experienced pretty much the same results with my Poly. The accuracy with both 45LC, and buckshot surprised me. What I did that the video didn't show was put a bunch of ragged, nasty, holes through a piece of 3/4" plywood @ 10 yds.
My experience with it gives me enough confidence in it's defensive capability to make it my seat side companion when traveling.
Unlike the "expert" detractors ,most of who have never even fired one, I tried it, and I liked it!
Old November 30, 2011, 11:23 PM   #21
hydroholic

Pretty much the same results from my stepfathgers Judge (public defender). Same results with 3/4 " plywood at about 10 yards as well. Went through with no problem. Definately enough to do some fatal damage to an intruder. I would have no problem with using it as a SD weapon. Pitty the person on the other end. You would have to be insane to think it would not cause great bodily harm or death!
Old December 1, 2011, 05:16 AM   #22
triggerhappy2006

Now the S&W has the .45ACP for a 3rd chambering and the Raging Judge has a .454 Casull, certainly the .454 is going to be more of an ideal round than the .45ACP. Now I'm sure the argument is going to come up "why not get a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan for .454 and .45 Colt", well that is an option, but in my experience, as a bedside gun .410 would easily drop somebody at the most common distances inside a house. So I would rather have a little bit more of a spread (opposed to a single projectile) and have a .454 or .45 Colt in the next couple cylinders. The purpose behind the Judge and the GOVERNOR are as multi-duty self defense weapons, load them with .45 Colt or .454 and it is decent predator defense gun, .45 ACP or .45 Colt and it is a good choice for a personal defense gun, .410 for the wife's bedside gun, or taking care of pesky critters that decide to move in the attic, basement, garage or barn.
Old December 1, 2011, 06:25 AM   #23
kozak6

Quote:
Okay so the Taurus Judge has been around for years, proven, effective, realiable...
It may have been available for years, but many would disagree about that second part. Also, don't most modern browsers come with a spellchecker?

Quote:
Taurus added the power of the 454 Casull[ to the mix, and combine that with a 6" Barrel and you have an effective general purpose revolver(maybe not Conceal Carry or 100yds hunting) but you can still use it as a bedside gun
A .454 Casull for a bedside gun? I prefer more stopping power, personally.

Quote:
You could probably conceal it if you go with the 3" barrel
Have you actually seen one of these? It's a pretty big gun. The long cylinder means that the overall length is almost the same as their 5" barrel Raging Bull. Not the ideal size, and heavy too.

Quote:
Here is my a question is having the ability to fire a .45 ACP from a revolver that can shoot 2 other more powerful rounds really worth sacraficing the ability to shoot a 454?
This is a bad question. You are comparing a magnum revolver that just happens to be able to fire shotshells to a Judge clone. A better question is why would you get a Judge when the S&W offers the ability to fire the powerful and more affordable .45 acp, better quality control, better customer service, and isn't a Taurus?

Quote:
Also is it possible to shoot a .45 ACP out of a .45 Colt revolver or did Smith and Wesson actually do something different?
S&W did something different. Taurus makes a big deal about things like repeat strike capability in their double action semiautos even though it's been a common feature in firearms since the 1930's. Do you really think they would forget to mention it if their Judge could fire .45 acp?

Quote:
I would like to hear anybody else's arguments for or against the GOVERNOR.
Ok.

For:
It's not a Taurus.
It can fire .45 acp.

Against:
It's a silly fad revolver in .410.

Quote:
My stand is I would rather have a 454, .45 Colt or 410 in a 3" package than .45 Colt, .45 ACP and 410 in a 3" revolver, now the .45 ACP is an outstanding round but it's not really in class with the .45 Colt and 410.
It's disingenuous to refer to it as a 3" package. The cylinder is stupid long. For a similar overall length, you could have a regular .454 with a 5" barrel. If you really want a short .454 Casull, the Ruger Alaskan has a 2.5" barrel and is about 2.58" shorter overall (and isn't a Taurus).

Quote:
now the .45 ACP is an outstanding round but it's not really in class with the .45 Colt and 410.
Yeah, it's a rimless cartridge commonly used in semiautomatics.

Plain-jane .45 Colt is nearly identical to .45 acp. Spicy .45 Colt is different. I will agree that the .410 shotshell is in a different class than .45 acp.

Quote:
The purpose behind the Judge and the GOVERNOR are as multi-duty self defense weapons
The purpose is to part you from your money.
Old December 1, 2011, 07:45 AM   #24
mega twin

I went with the other large frame revolver with the three inch bbl.,but actually,a six inch bbl.would not be much larger than the judge ,or governor.
Old December 1, 2011, 09:36 AM   #25
mavracer

Quote:
Unlike the "expert" detractors ,most of who have never even fired one, I tried it, and I liked it!
Well since apparently only first hand knowledge is acceptable to you. Just how many people have you shot with your judge and what is the difference in average incapacition times between the better 45 colt loads and .410 buckshot.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Closed Thread