The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2008, 12:42 PM   #1
pete5409

.38 colt short specs.

I need the specs for this old cartridge. I´m planning on reloading 125 grain cast lead RN´s or 158 grain cast LSWC´s with Alliant powders. What´s the correct diameter for this bullet: .358 or .360? I´ve read that the diameter will vary from one manufacturer´s barrel to another but I don´t know how or where to take the correct measurement. I tried getting the caliper between the grooves from the muzzle end but I don´t know if this is correct. Can anyone direct me to a websited with this info. Thanks in advance for the info!!!
Old June 2, 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Scorch

You can load it with .360" cast lead bullets.
Old June 3, 2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hollow-base wadcutters are a good choice for reloading the OLD .38s like this.

On firing, the bullet's skirt expands to grab the rifling, often giving far better accuracy than you'd get with a solid based bullet.

This is especially true with guns from the 1870s and 1880s. As it originally started life, the .38 Short Colt used a heeled, outside lubricated bullet that was the diameter of the case mouth, or a lot closer to true .38 caliber than today's .357 standard for ".38 caliber" bullets.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.