The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
BabaOriley

270 Win - Rem 700 Load Development Info

Hi all,

I'm posting this in several locations on the Internet, in hopes someone else may be interested, and have some input, or at least appreciate what I'm doing, and be able to use some of the info themselves.

Basically, what I did was take 4 powders, and 2 bullet weights, and make up 3 charges of each combination. I then took these rounds to the range and put up pie plates with a ~1" dot spraypainted on them to see what kind of groups I could register at 100 yards.

At this point, the research feels less than half done. Mainly because it felt to me like I wasn't shooting to the rifle's capability. I used a one of those cheap red plastic rests from MTM, and it just didn't look stable through the old 9x Bushnell Banner I was using. I want to invest in some good sandbags now.

If you have any questions/comments, please send them to me, so I can consider them for further testing.

Thanks!

Download the pdf containing the info I have compiled so far by clicking here.
Old May 24, 2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Alleykat

Guess I'm just speechless. Sounds like you're doing what everybody else does when they work up loads.
Old May 24, 2008, 05:59 PM   #3
kingudaroad

Rudeness and sarcasm. If thats what you were looking for you've joined the right forum BabaOriley. :barf:
Old May 25, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4
achildofthesky

Nice write up.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Patty
Old May 26, 2008, 10:14 AM   #5
elkman06

+1 King..
Thanks for the info Baba, I have spent a large amount of time loading for my 06 and not nearly as much for my .270. Some of your info may be useful.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 31, 2008, 03:28 PM   #6
BabaOriley

Quote:
Guess I'm just speechless. Sounds like you're doing what everybody else does when they work up loads.
I guess that is all I'm doing. I just wish more would share their data. It may have saved me some of the expense of loading 160 rounds to find out my rifle loves Varget powder with these 90 grainers.

As I said, I'm not done. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old May 31, 2008, 08:18 PM   #7
neight

baba, i have shot a number of groups that look like those ... i discovered that groups were expanding rapidly as the barrel got hot. now i only shoot 3 shot groups, and let the barrel cool way, way down between 3 shot groups. you may already know this, i'm just sharing my experience.

thats a great writeup that you did. a .270 load i have gotten great results with lately is 42.0 g. of H4895 and a 130 g. hornady spirepoint.
Old May 31, 2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Red_Eagle

130 gr

When you get around to testing 130 gr., try Sierra Game kings with IMR 4831. They grouped at about 1 inch from my Mossberg 100. I'll be trying 140 gr Hornady SSTs next.