The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
1BadKX

SPEER 55 grain TNT HP for .223

I recently picked up a box of these SPEER 55 grain TNT Hollow Points (Speer item # 1032) for reloading .223 in my AR15 (1 in 9" twist).

However, I noticed while looking up some load data, that I should've bought the 50 grain. It says these 55 grain (item 1032) bullets are "High Velocity" and made for the 22-250.

Would this matter? I'm just beginning to reload and am looking for functionality at this point, rather than a high level of accuracy.

Also, if these will work alright, does anyone have any recommendations on loads? Because I can't find any data for these bullets being used for .223.

Thanks everyone.
Old March 22, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The only thing that likely means is the jackets are heavy enough that at lower velocities than the .22-250 produces, they may not exhibit the explosive performance on varmints they otherwise would. They also may not like the faster twist rate AR barrels. They may exhibit jacket slip or mid-air disassembly fired from those? I would call Speer and see which they are concerned about?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 22, 2008, 10:41 PM   #3
1BadKX

Thanks Nick, I have e-mailed Speer and will let you know what they say.

Regarding this type of situation...when I can't find a specific load for my powder and bullet listed in my manuals:
What's the "standard" when I can't find specific load data for my exact components. For example: 165gr Sierra JHP and Accurate No.5 powder. I can't seem to find any load with these two components listed. I have the Lyman 48th ed manual and the Lee Loading manual (13th ed?). I'm more concerned with the powder, so should I find a heavier load..say for 170gr bullet that lists Accur No 5 powder, which is 6.5 grains? Or can I use a different manufacturer's bullet, say Hornady XTP 165 gr with Accurate No 5, and use these Sierra JHP's? Would this be the same for these 55 gr Speer TNT bullets with H4895....just use a different bullet that lists this powder and go with that?