The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Felenari

535 "racegun" project suggestions.

So a while ago I had an opportunity to buy a 535 turkey thug mossberg new for 181$ out the door with tax and bg check. I was saving for a 930 to work on as a project but this was too cheap to pass up for me.

Im using it as a project gun now and am racifyingâ„¢ it for fun and practice. I just swapped out the follower, opened the feed port (not sure if this is the right term) a bit with files and filed down some sharp edges on the underside of the lifter and some other spots. I adjusted the interruptor as well since the shells sit just a hair higher now when feeding. Used 400 grit paper to raise the edge of the lifter a bit.
20190116_230808~01.jpg
Not quite done polishing yet but this is it so far.

I used some masking tape but due to poor foot placement and an inconveniently placed sleeping chihuahua I ate floor and managed to put a good size scratch on the receiver that continues onto the magazine tube. Other than that it looks OK I think.

I changed the slide release with a shoten armory extended one. The long model so I can reach it with my thumb from the pistol grip stock. The 20inch barrel came with a .670 ported turkey choke but I bought an imp cyl for general use and got a four or five inch (haven't measured) browning rifled choke for slugs and just to see what rifling does to 3.5inch 18p buckshot at close range on paper. Rifled barrel someday but not on my budget right now. I'm planning on getting the magpul semi pistol grip stock so I can easily field strip without needing to take the stock off.

When I learn how to weld I might attach some plates onto my lifter so that it can feed short shells like Aguila minis cuz why not right? Oh, got a limbsaver pad for the stock right now. Lucked out on ebay for 25$, makes a huge difference when shooting the heavier shots.

Screenshot_20190120-151908_QuickPic~01.jpg
Also made a titanium safety I can reach with my index finger. Haven't changed the slide release in this pic yet. Still need to add some checkering to the smooth surfaces but I wanted to see what it looked like mounted and if I could reach it. Gonna go for a brighter color when I heat color it again this time also. It's not perfectly symmetrical either. Hand filed from a little chunk of Ti I had left from another project.

Im planning on changing the crummy velcro ammo saddle to something that I can bolt onto the receiver. Does anyone know how to calculate thread size needed for a thickness of plate? Would 8-24 work for this with 20lb torque? Still new to machining and tapping holes etc. My Forte is in jewelry and blacksmithing atm.

Anyone know of anything else I could do to this? I know you can polish the bolt but I don't want it to rust on me after I take off the blue coating. Or parkerised or whatever. Still don't know how to tell them apart. :-P

If no one comes from the future to stop you, how bad could it be?
Old January 20, 2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Felenari

I'll get better pictures later if anyone wants also.

Old January 30, 2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Felenari

Is it worth it doing work on the bolt group?