The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2019, 08:24 PM   #1
HappyTrap687*

Improving plastic stocks

I have a GP100 and a Howa 1500. They both have plastic stocks. I would like to improve their appearance in my opinion. How do you folks remove that ugly mold line down the middle. What kind of equipment do you use? Does it turn out so that it is absolutely not visible? I have a lot of tools and can do most anything. I just don't know where to start and what to do . Thanks
Old January 8, 2019, 05:10 AM   #2
std7mag

Happy,
Essentially your down to a Dremel tool with sandpaper, some bondo, and paint.
It's that or buy a new stock.
Razor blades don't work that great. At least not for this application.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 8, 2019, 10:02 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

I would use a emery board. They come in different grades and cut slower.
A Dremel tool will work but cuts too fast, it can burn the plastic or make gouges.
If you use the Dremel tool and make a mistake you will be looking for new stocks.
Old January 9, 2019, 04:38 PM   #4
Pahoo

My SWAG

I would scrape with a sharp knife and only "concentrate" on the line until it's gone. Then I would try to match it to the adjacent texture. I do not know what finish/texture you have. The last one I did had a kind of a rough dull texture. I managed to get a fairly good match using some course emery cloth and lightly peened the pattern with a soft mallet. I do not wipe the area with the emery cloth, just laid rough side down over the area and basically pound in a finish that closely matches what's there. You have to look real close to see that it is not original. This may not work for you but gives you food for thought. …

Be Safe !!!
Old January 10, 2019, 02:17 AM   #5
ballardw

Anything related to modifying small pieces of hard plastic I would refer to plastic modelers. Perhaps take the plastic item(s) to your local hobby/model shop. They will have things like small sanding blocks, knives and assorted tools and likely give you an idea.

However soft plastic can be an entirely different kettle of fish depending on how soft.
Old January 10, 2019, 09:20 AM   #6
FoghornLeghorn

In my experience anytime you remove material from any surface, plastic, wood, metal, there's going to be a distinctive line. In order to avoid such, it's necessary to refinish the entire object. In the OP's case, to redo the entire rifle stock.

As far as the GP100, mine is a rubber stock with wood grain inserts.

I don't understand what he wants to do with it. Unless his has aftermarket stocks? Then why not just buy something else?
Old January 11, 2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Mobuck

For the HOWA, just switch to a "Boyds" or other brand of aftermarket.
I can virtually guarantee that anytime you start sanding, grinding, or whittling on that synthetic stock, it will NEVER match the original surface.
Old January 11, 2019, 07:22 AM   #8
jmr40

There isn't much you can do to improve the appearance of the softer rubberized stocks made by Hogue. On the ones with a hard plastic rifle stock some sandpaper and a can of Krylon can do a lot.

As to performance on a rifle a generous free float of the barrel channel is all that is needed. Adding stuff to the forend to make it stiffer is a waste of time.

Winston Churchill
Old January 11, 2019, 01:08 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

For plastic, you have to sand with both halves together to blend it in. It may require the entire stock be refinished too to have a consistent appearance.