The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2019, 11:55 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

New Hi-Point

Quote:
Quote:
Hi-Point To Offer Brand New, Modern Pistol That Breaks Their Tradition

Hi-Point’s PR company, Shults Media, had this to say about the upcoming release:

“This is not an old model with a few tweaks like the latest version of someone’s 1911. This is an entirely new pistol of a more contemporary design and yet will retain Hi-Point’s affordable pricing, reliability, robust construction, accuracy and owner following lifetime warranty.”

There are no details as of yet, but word on the street is that it’ll be released at the end of this month, possibly during SHOT Show week.

Guns.com reports that the new pistol will sport a threaded barrel, and have at least a 10-round capacity. While the new pistol is said to be modern and presumably much different from their traditional lineup, they say that the price will remain affordable.

Wonder if they are getting away from the blowback design, and heavy ZAMAK slide?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 17, 2019, 12:39 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I'm underwhelmed.
Old January 17, 2019, 12:44 AM   #3
Joe_Pike

I'll likely never own a Hi Point, but I will also never bad mouth them. They bend over backwards when it comes to customer service. That's more than I can say for some way more expensive brands...<cough>Sig<cough>.
Old January 17, 2019, 12:52 AM   #4
sigarms228

Interesting and competition is getting really stiff at the price point that new model may come out at with other options near the $250 range.
Old January 17, 2019, 12:53 AM   #5
TruthTellers

The size/weight of Hi Points is one of the biggest inherent flaws of the current design, so I believe it's simply common sense for Hi Point to get leaner and lighter because when I see 9mm's like the EC9s, PT111, SCCY, and Kel Tec selling for $200-225, those are modern pistols that you can get holsters for, have decent ergonomics, easier to release the slide, better magazines... just better guns; the only thing Hi Point beat them on is price and warranty.

Since this new pistol is going to have a threaded barrel, it appears that this isn't being built to avoid state/local AWB laws, so I don't understand the magazine capacity being 10 rounds, unless this is going to be a single stack pistol.

I need to see more, but so long as the price can be a bit under $200, have better mags than the current Hi Point, a slightly better trigger, and less clunky and bulky, it'll be worth looking at. I was considering getting a .45 Hi Point, but choose not to since it didn't have a threaded barrel, so if Hi Point were to make a threaded .45 that was about $200, it would be half the price of a similar M&P.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:04 AM   #6
luger fan

Last summer I called High Point and asked why they don't modify them to take a Glock mag. She laughed and said she gets the SAME call 10 times a day.

She explained they sell all they can make and have a constant back order. She said IF they ever slow down in sales they would consider shutting down production and modifying them.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:15 AM   #7
Lexspeed

I'll have to put that new model Hi Point on my dream list of guns I want to buy....at no.500.
On a more serious note, I respect Hi Points business model. They produce low price, functional guns and provide great customer service and warranty. There is a eager market for that approach and apparently they are about to add to their product variety.
Old January 20, 2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

I am interested to see how it performs. Should be interesting. I enjoy being open minded. It to work out in the long run, over the Narrow mind that does not even give a gun a chance.

High Point Carbine.
What gets me is the fact that the Ruger PC9 is no light weight. Heavy gun. Almost 7lbs before you put on a scope. Not for me. Does not seem much like a carbine. And they seem over run with problems.

I would actually get a High Point, and spend the money to get the NEW Stock.
Old January 20, 2019, 12:21 PM   #9
reddog81

The market for cheap guns has exploded over the last decade so I guess they need to step up their game. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I don’t see the point of a threaded barrel on a $200 gun. The tax stamp for a suppressor cost $200 alone and a decent suppressor is $500+. Who’s going to spend $700 on a suppressor and put it on a $200 gun?
Old January 20, 2019, 02:25 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexspeed View Post
I'll have to put that new model Hi Point on my dream list of guns I want to buy....at no.500.
On a more serious note, I respect Hi Points business model. They produce low price, functional guns and provide great customer service and warranty. There is a eager market for that approach and apparently they are about to add to their product variety.
I note you're from Ill-i-noise. You do know our masters won't let us buy it, if it's made out of zamak like the "HiPoint Classic."
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 20, 2019, 03:18 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I don’t see the point of a threaded barrel on a $200 gun. The tax stamp for a suppressor cost $200 alone and a decent suppressor is $500+. Who’s going to spend $700 on a suppressor and put it on a $200 gun?
That's an easy one. Someone with only $900 to spend who really wants a suppressed handgun.
Old January 21, 2019, 12:13 PM   #12
Bamashooter

More power to Hi-Point. I had a C9 9MM many years ago when I couldnt afford much else and it was accurate and reliable. That was good enough. A few years later I bought one of the old camo stock 9mm carbines and added a cheap BSA red dot optic and it was deadly out to 100yrds. Again it was accurate and reliable. That was good enough. Now I have a crapload of guns and its hard to get around to shooting them all. Ive recently purchased a Ruger PC Carbine and added a Sig Sauer Romeo5 optic and that setup with glock mags is perfect for a PC carbine but I will keep the Hi-Point because its always been a good gun. I hope their new gun does well because back when I was raising a family I couldnt always afford to get the nice cool gun and Hi-Point was always reliable and accurate and affordable. Im still debating on getting a 10mm carbine from them just to have one. I would be willing to bet its accurate and reliable.
Old January 21, 2019, 12:50 PM   #13
KyJim

I'll have to admit to poking fun at Hi-Point from time to time, but I actually think they have filled a niche for those who cannot or do not want to pay for more expensive guns. I still recall my days as a poor law student when the only handgun I could afford was an RG revolver I bought for $50.

Unlike some manufacturers in the past, Hi-Point pistols seem reliable, even if not designed for 50,000 rounds. Will I buy their new pistol coming out? Very doubtful, but I wish them success.
Old January 21, 2019, 01:07 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Unlike some manufacturers in the past, Hi-Point pistols seem reliable, even if not designed for 50,000 rounds.
The round count they are capable of might very well be quite a bit more. But if a Hi-Point does quit, just send it back. They'll either fix it, or replace it.
Old January 21, 2019, 02:30 PM   #15
kenny53

I would never make fun of a person who owned a Hi point, I am glad there is a gun out there that someone on a limited budget can afford. I have never seen a High Point fail. But I don't believe I will ever buy one unless someone just about gave it to me.
Old January 22, 2019, 01:55 PM   #16
nanney1

Video of new Hi-Point from TFB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QNezEUW0k
Old January 22, 2019, 09:52 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Now it's a TACTICAL High Point!
Geeze....
Old January 23, 2019, 12:39 AM   #18
Bamashooter

Looks better than the old C9. I bet it runs just as good. Higher capacity mags would be nice.
Old January 23, 2019, 03:40 AM   #19
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1 View Post
Video of new Hi-Point from TFB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QNezEUW0k
Not everything I wanted in an improved Hi Point, but I'd have to get my hands on one before I pass any judgement. Higher cap mags is good, hopefully the slide is easier to rack and the trigger is a bit better.

The magazines look like a HUGE improvement.

Hopefully the .45 is in the works.
Old January 23, 2019, 09:26 AM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm underwhelmed.
Same here.

It's just a re-warmed version of the same old design with some questionable additions (grip safety).

I purchased a brand new S&W M&P Shield for $215 not very long ago, and it's a better firearm in every single respect than this new Hi Point. Unless this Hi-Point undercuts that price by a significant amount ($100?), I don't see where it's relevant to anyone putting any thought into the purchase.

Which admittedly may be be Hi-Point's primary market.
Old January 23, 2019, 10:42 AM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Same here.

It's just a re-warmed version of the same old design with some questionable additions (grip safety).

I purchased a brand new S&W M&P Shield for $215 not very long ago, and it's a better firearm in every single respect than this new Hi Point. Unless this Hi-Point undercuts that price by a significant amount ($100?), I don't see where it's relevant to anyone putting any thought into the purchase.

Which admittedly may be be Hi-Point's primary market.
Right but Shields aren't always $215. You're comparing a very good sale to a standard price. The best I can find the original Shield now is $249 at PSA. For a retail location it's likely a fair amount more than that. Not sure what the cheapest Hi Point online is.

To be clear, would I save and spend the extra? Yes. But I'd also go further than a Shield. Different price points always exist.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 23, 2019, 01:31 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
Right but Shields aren't always $215. You're comparing a very good sale to a standard price. The best I can find the original Shield now is $249 at PSA. For a retail location it's likely a fair amount more than that. Not sure what the cheapest Hi Point online is.

To be clear, would I save and spend the extra? Yes. But I'd also go further than a Shield. Different price points always exist.
Agreed.

But here's my point. With a little bit of research there is almost always going to be a better budget option for your need. <$200 surplus Star BMs & CZ-82s (granted - no factory support on those options), $250 new Shields and SD9VEs. Plenty of other used guns.

The Hi-Point, as I see it, has two market audiences. Those who are looking for a new pistol with the absolute cheapest price, with no other considerations factored in and no will to do a little research or forethought, and those knowing exactly what they are getting and wanting them for the fun/irony/internet notoriety of the design.

I imagine the features like the threaded barrel, optic mounting point, and accessory rail play well to that second demographic. Considering the thought of a $500 optic, $200 weaponlight, and $800 suppressor on a $150 pistol makes me chuckle. Honestly, I hope someone does it and puts it on the web for us to enjoy.

Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. Just my observations and worth what is paid for them.
Old January 23, 2019, 01:54 PM   #23
TruthTellers

One thing to consider with the new magazines is that they were designed to be used with parts also used in the C9... probably the bolt. So, what I'm thinking here is Hi Point has a plan in the works to use these same mags in updated carbines too. Since they're also going to make larger capacity magazines, they'll be a perfect fit for the carbines.

If you like the current carbines Hi Point makes, imagine that same carbine with straight 20 round factory magazines.

Very smart move by Hi Point, they're setting themselves up for long term success.
Old January 23, 2019, 02:04 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

Fishbed, I think I am in catagory 3. Or maybe what you could call 2.1
I bought a Hi-Point C9 a few years ago. At a time that Hi-Point hatred seemed to be at a peak, and before the Torture Test videos proved the naysayers wrong. My reason? Simply to see if they could possibly be as bad as the haters all claimed. Most of whom had never owned or even shot one. What I found was a very accurate, fun shooting, reliable 9MM pistol.......So I bought a used JHP (45acp) model to go along with my C9. Incidentally, I found the same to be true with the JHP. Now it needs a big brother in a 4595TC Carbine.
Old January 23, 2019, 03:30 PM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
Now it needs a big brother in a 4595TC Carbine.
I won't lie. I've been tempted by the thought of a Hi-Point carbine, but that 10-round capacity has always been a deal-breaker.

And between 9mm ARs and a CZ Scorpion Evo3, I'm set on that front.
Closed Thread