The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Installing choke system in old bolt shotgun barrel

Should a gunsmith be able to install a screw-in choke system into my old bolt action 20ga shotgun barrel?
Old January 14, 2019, 05:02 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Unless you have some collectors classic gun, it's a waste of money. It will cost more to do it than the gun is worth.
Old January 14, 2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Doyle

Depends on how thick the barrel wall is. I don't know the number, but there is a certain minimal wall thickness that is needed to tap.
Old January 14, 2019, 05:54 PM   #4
FITASC

Call Briley in Houston and give the name and model of the gun. If their regular chokes won't work, their thin-walls will; however, as mentioned, it will cost more than the value of the gun.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 14, 2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Scorch

Cost of the barrel threading and a choke tube will be about $200-ish. The shotgun's worth $75-ish. Why?
Taylor Machine
Old January 14, 2019, 09:05 PM   #6
FITASC

Why? Because maybe it has some sentimental value and this can make it more usable to the OP.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 15, 2019, 03:21 AM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Why? Because maybe it has some sentimental value and this can make it more usable to the OP.
I understand that well, FITASC, but I asked the OP for his reasons. Maybe it's a project, maybe it's "just because". Heavens knows I've spent way too much money myself just to see how stuff works.
Taylor Machine
Old January 15, 2019, 11:11 AM   #8
Roamin_Wade

Well, the reason I ask is because I have an old Mossberg 20ga bolt gun and if I could thread that barrel I could use it with a scope and possibly even hunt with it. A Savage rifled barrel 20ga is just over $600 so if it is $200, thats cheaper than buying a whole gun. I've called Briley's and they say they can't do it but I know what a machine shop is and I know it can be done and that they just may not want to do it in an effort to sell me $1000 worth of stuff. I used to work directly next door to Briley's at a Dresser Rand machine shop.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:21 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Setting aside issues of collectibility, it depends on the barrel thickness. If thick enough, yes. If not, nope.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:29 AM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
Well, the reason I ask is because I have an old Mossberg 20ga bolt gun and if I could thread that barrel I could use it with a scope and possibly even hunt with it.
Please 'splain to me why you want to add a choke then a scope to hunt with it. They are "opposite" in purpose.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Roamin_Wade

Doyle, I'd like to shoot Sabot slugs with it.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:58 AM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
Doyle, I'd like to shoot Sabot slugs with it.
Sabot slugs require no choke at all - in fact, they need a rifled barrel. You might be thinking of "foster" slugs. In that case, why not just cut off the muzzle and leave it cylinder bore? I.E. turn it into a dedicated slug gun.
Old January 15, 2019, 02:35 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...they need a rifled barrel..." And other types don't need anything but a cylinder choke. As in no choke.
"...know it can be done..." It's not about that. It's about the thickness of the barrel wall.
You're going to have D&T anyway, I'd be thinking Ghost ring and a blade vs a scope. Those come from Williams. Basically a large ring peep. Slugs are mostly a 100 yard thing.
Old January 15, 2019, 02:46 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

The distance you hunt with with a smoothbore should not require a scope.
Old January 15, 2019, 03:46 PM   #15
FITASC

Unless you're old like me and your eyes suck at distance.

OP, on ShotgunWorld.com is a gunsmith named Mike Orlen who does choke installations all the time. His info can be found there. CALL, he rarely answers emails, and ask him. Last time I checked, for a regular barrel, he was about $55 plus the cost of the choke tube.(and shipping)
Old January 16, 2019, 06:47 AM   #16
Remington74

Since you mentioned shooting slugs and mounting a scope on that shotgun, have you tried mounting the scope and shooting slugs with it as-is? You might be surprised at the results, or maybe not. It may be worth a try but in the end it's your shotgun. Good luck!
Old January 16, 2019, 09:53 AM   #17
Doyle

I can't help but wonder if the original poster "thinks" he needs to use a rifled choke in order to shoot sabot slugs. Sadly, there are many who don't realize that the SOLE purpose of a rifled choke is to separate a shotgun owner from his money.
Old February 1, 2019, 08:13 PM   #18
billcarey

I'm late to this thread but $150 will buy a nice old 20 ga Mossberg 185 bolt shotgun with the screw type choke.