The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2019, 01:54 PM   #1
stagpanther

I was wrong about 9mm AR's

I built myself a 10mm AR a while ago--it was a good learning project but I simply thought I would never like a 9mm one based on my experience, I thought it really should have a locking bolt rather than a blowback bolt and I didn't like the idea of being wed to Glock magazines which can result in a chamber jammed cartridge if the cartridge is fed at too much of an angle.

But then I thought, maybe this could work, since there is no gas system other than barrel back-pressure in the bore, changing the calibers can be done in a minute or two with a simple swap out of barrels and bolts. That in itself is pretty cool--but the biggest surprise to me is that the 9mm bullet driven at higher velocities performs amazingly well, it seems to group even tighter across a wider range of cartridge types than my 10mm set-up. What's more, it's pretty dern light weight, well balanced, and most of all--it actually makes me look like a half decent shooter whether I'm shooting free-hand or off bags--and using just a simple unmagnified reddot at that. This thing is silly stupid fun--and how can you go wrong shooting ammo that's the cheapest around with the exception of 22 rimfire?

I took off the old Bushnell beater reddot off and replaced it with a Primary arms one which I got on sale--fabulous deal for what I got it for. I like the rugged build and the attention to details--positive clicks on the turrets--and the turret caps even have raised screw surfaces for slotting into the turret screw slots--meaning you don't need to go searching for that spare dime or penny to adjust elevation or windage.

Attached Images
File Type: gif IMG_1123.gif (183.3 KB, 355 views)
Old January 7, 2019, 02:29 PM   #2
9x19

Welcome to the fan club!
Old January 7, 2019, 02:30 PM   #3
stagpanther

Yes--time for me to publicly eat a large slice of crow pie. (beats cow pie, though)
Old January 8, 2019, 03:09 AM   #4
stagpanther

I don't know if anyone follows Clay Martin on Guns America--I do because he's a great firearms reviewer with solid experience and I love his sense of humor. In a recent review of a 45 acp sidearm compared to the standard issue one, he had this to say: "9mm--which is European for stun."
Old January 8, 2019, 08:57 AM   #5
MarkCO

They are a ton of fun, easy to shoot and, with the right bullet, pretty dang effective in the terminal ballistics category.
Old January 8, 2019, 09:56 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
They are a ton of fun, easy to shoot and, with the right bullet, pretty dang effective in the terminal ballistics category.
I'm about to load up some 95 gr TAC xp's and push em fast to see how they perform.
Old January 8, 2019, 01:27 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Shot an M-16K(FA SMG version, provided by a Colt rep. Fabulous guys those Colt reps.) using IVI ball, at Second Chance, years ago. Thing would easily hit IPSC type target, uphill, at a bit over 100 yards. No recoil, but some muzzle jump just like any 9mm SMG. I would expect a 10mm would have a bit more felt recoil and muzzle jump. Probably not noticeable though
"...silly stupid fun..." Absolutely. SMG's are just like that.
"...European for stun..." Same idiotic nonsense Cooper came out with.
Old January 8, 2019, 02:23 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
Shot an M-16K(FA SMG version, provided by a Colt rep. Fabulous guys those Colt reps.) using IVI ball, at Second Chance, years ago. Thing would easily hit IPSC type target, uphill, at a bit over 100 yards. No recoil, but some muzzle jump just like any 9mm SMG. I would expect a 10mm would have a bit more felt recoil and muzzle jump. Probably not noticeable though
"...silly stupid fun..." Absolutely. SMG's are just like that.
"...European for stun..." Same idiotic nonsense Cooper came out with.
The only appreciable difference I notice between the 9mm and 10mm is the extra noise the heavier 10mm carrier makes banging around in the upper--and that it easily snaps bolt catch levers when trying to rig a last shot hold back.