The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2020, 12:04 PM   #1
mrt949

If you always carry when out and about do you carry in your home

I carry every where I Go
But in my home I Stage firearms in special places
How about YOU ?
Old October 27, 2020, 12:45 PM   #2
mk70ss

Carry out of the house always, in the house, several firearms are within reach but out of sight.
Old October 27, 2020, 01:37 PM   #3
Bfglowkey

When I lived in San Antonio, carried everywhere and almost had to carry in house as well. ( Nice apartment complex but shady ass folks hopped the fences all the time)
Now I live in Northern Maine and i have a 1/2 mile buffer or greater in all directions so I went old school and have a rifle over the mantle, a pistol in holster on the coat rack and the shotgun in the closet. Rest are tucked away sleeping soundly dreaming of when they can come out to whack coyotes, moose or deer.
Old October 27, 2020, 01:58 PM   #4
CDW4ME

Affirmative. If I'm wearing pants I'm carrying.
Regardless of location (home included) a lethal threat (somebody(s) trying to kill me) merits at least 357 Sig / 40 S&W and I carry accordingly (Glock 23/32 minimum).
Old October 27, 2020, 02:57 PM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Affirmative. If I'm wearing pants I'm carrying.
Yup, me too.

And if Im not, they are both within reach by the bed, fireman style.
Old October 27, 2020, 03:02 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
If you always carry when out and about do you carry in your home
Carry, everywhere.

"Staging guns" here and there strikes me as a tragic accident waiting to happen.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 27, 2020, 04:22 PM   #7
cc-hangfire

Unless carrying is illegal or will get me fired or when I sleep, my gun is on my person. I understand that everyones’ circumstance is different, but I’m with lee n field above on staging firearms.

In addition, if you ever need a firearm you’ll need it quickly. Watch some Active Self Protection YouTube videos. Criminal predators always use surprise and speed to their advantage, even if it happens in your home.

Where’s my gun? In my pocket or on my hip.
Old October 27, 2020, 04:55 PM   #8
BarbarianCBX

I carry everywhere where legal, including inside my home. Well, unless I'm naked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old October 27, 2020, 05:57 PM   #9
ballardw

Yes.
Old October 27, 2020, 07:21 PM   #10
Bob Willman

With tuckable holster and mag carrier. if my pants are on I am carrying. Also that way there is no need to secure the firearm from any visitors.
Old October 27, 2020, 07:25 PM   #11
Carmady

I'm not really into stats, but here's one I made up with no research:

100% of home invasions occur at home.
Old October 27, 2020, 07:32 PM   #12
peterg7

If I’m lounging I have an LCP in my pocket, if going out or just came in Shield on the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 27, 2020, 08:03 PM   #13
Forte S+W

My Ruger LCP quite literally follows me everywhere inside and outside of my house, I've been known to carry it inside of my pajama pockets when I get up to use the bathroom at night, and even accidentally took it into the shower with me because I forgot that I had it in my swimtrunks pocket.

It's just so small and lightweight that it honestly takes more effort to leave it behind than it does to carry it.
Old October 27, 2020, 08:31 PM   #14
rodfac

I carry both home and out & about. Up in the morning...and I strap in before I have my coffee. We live on a farm, far from help if needed, and the gun is an integral part of my work day. YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 27, 2020, 08:42 PM   #15
Onward Allusion

Interesting. No paranoia accusations yet. Granted we're on page 1. Oh, back to the OP - yup, always...
Old October 27, 2020, 08:58 PM   #16
jrothWA

Only problem I have is WHICH one to grab first, at home!

I carry when out the door.
Old October 27, 2020, 11:30 PM   #17
ozarkhillbilly

Why is "staging" an accident waiting to happen?
Old October 28, 2020, 06:56 AM   #18
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkhillbilly View Post
For one, when you come home and find a recently well armed burglar waiting for you.

Too many chances for bad things happening, and still way slower to get to, if you even can, than one always on you.
Old October 28, 2020, 08:23 AM   #19
rodfac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkhillbilly View Post
For one, when you come home and find a recently well armed burglar waiting for you.

Too many chances for bad things happening, and still way slower to get to, if you even can, than one always on you.
My thoughts as well. We have grand-kids that show up unannounced from time to time...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 28, 2020, 08:38 AM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Carry, everywhere.

"Staging guns" here and there strikes me as a tragic accident waiting to happen.
I have "staged" guns. We have no children in the home, live out in a rural area, have no juvenile visitors. One of us is always home (both retired). So, I would opine that the "danger" of staging guns is rather a matter of the particular situation and environment.

Last edited by dahermit; October 28, 2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old October 28, 2020, 12:56 PM   #21
Onward Allusion

Nothing better than having it on your body. Pretty damn hard for one of them rugrats to grab the gun from you and shoot themselves with it if one is wearing it. Unless you have guns every 3 feet in your home, reaching for a stashed gun still ain't as fast as drawing one.
Old October 28, 2020, 04:31 PM   #22
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Nothing better than having it on your body. Pretty damn hard for one of them rugrats to grab the gun from you and shoot themselves with it if one is wearing it. Unless you have guns every 3 feet in your home, reaching for a stashed gun still ain't as fast as drawing one.
Again, the situation must be taken into regard. We have a security system that we monitor the only point of entry of our house. We can see persons who approach that point of entry giving us enough time to access our staged guns before they could get through the steel, dead boted security door. We are never more than a few feet from a staged gun. We have multiple monitors so we are virtually always aware of what is going on (if anything), at the entry point.
Old October 28, 2020, 05:19 PM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
I have "staged" guns. We have no children in the home, live out in a rural area, have no juvenile visitors. One of us is always home (both retired). So, I would opine that the "danger" of staging guns is rather a matter of the particular situation and environment.
Children (and grandchildren) and ignorant visitors was my concern, when I made the "accident waiting to happen" comment.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 28, 2020, 07:26 PM   #24
Rangerrich99

Nope. I have a couple guns staged around the house. Once I get in the house, I want to get into some shorts or sweatpants and a T-shirt and relax.

Of course, I live in a ridiculously safe neighborhood, and the house is pretty tough to get into if you don't have a key, so i feel pretty good about walking around my kitchen unarmed. Excepting a few large kitchen knives and a gun in the menu drawer. Can't help it; I like being comfortable.
Old October 28, 2020, 08:15 PM   #25
Forte S+W

Weighing in on the whole "staging" or "strategic placement" of firearms throughout the house thing, I disagree with the assertion that it is a universally unsafe practice, because the arguments against it are entirely reliant upon what-if scenarios including the presence of undisciplined children and/or the gunowner placing his firearms out in the open where anyone can see them and grab them with impunity.

Personally, I don't strategically place firearms throughout my home because it's easy enough to just carry my LCP with me everywhere I go, but if I were going to start strategically placing firearms throughout my home, then the average what-if scenarios used in arguments against the practice wouldn't apply to me because I don't have any children and don't intend on having any children. If I did have children then I would teach them not touch them the same why my parents taught me never to touch a firearm, by simply explaining that I could be hurt very badly or potentially be killed if I did. Seeing as most kids don't like even getting an itty-bitty splinter in their foot, explaining a bullet is much larger than a splinter and would pierce clean through the foot ought to be sufficient enough to convince kids not to play with guns, or at least it was enough for me to keep my hands off the loaded revolver my dad kept on the mantle.
Furthermore, I most certainly wouldn't leave them out in plain sight where an intruder could just as easily grab one and use it against me, but that's just common sense, and obviously arrogant fools who only consider their own narrow viewpoints to be valid/correct either intentionally overlook in order to strengthen their shallow arguments, or otherwise completely lack a working concept of common sense so they just automatically assume that whatever mistakes they would make are shared among others.