The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2020, 04:31 PM   #1
napg19

Diamondback DB9R, 9MM Carbine 16" bbl.

Thinking about getting one of these carbines.
Would like to hear all opinions, pro's and con's especially for the high dollar being asked for this.
All reply's appreciated.
Old October 26, 2020, 10:18 AM   #2
stephen426

What model are you looking at specifically and how much are they asking? I just picked up a DB9RPFB7 which is the 7 inch model from www.grabagun.com for $800. While that might seem a bit high, supply is fairly low. They have a 16 inch model on sale for $899 here

Over all, the gun seems well built with no rattling. I did not really get to put it though the paces due to limited time, but I ran two 30 round mags through it without any issues. I sighted in using a bore sighter and mounted a Crimson Trace red/green dot on it. I was able to hit the steel plate easily from 25 yards, as it should be able to do.

I am a bit of a trigger snob, so the factory trigger had to go. It was not not smooth and light like I like. I put the CMC 9mm PCC trigger, but I’m not that impressed. I put a Triggertech Adjustable on my AR-15 and that trigger is amazing. It has a very light, short first stage trigger pull before hitting the second stage, which is very clean and crisp. Weight is adjustable. They said they are releasing an AR-9 trigger soon, but I didn’t want to wait. The CMC uses a sheet metal housing and does not have snug down screws.
Old October 26, 2020, 12:02 PM   #3
napg19

I will have to get exact model number. But is going for $889 here. Trigger is abit heavy.
Will the lower reciever take regular ar15 parts like upgrade trigger from Velocity, ambi-safety, dual mag release from Tacdom and ambi bcg release by phase 5 EV3 from Tacdom also. This is what I have on my ar15 lower from Aero Precision.
Thanks for info.
Old October 26, 2020, 09:16 PM   #4
stephen426

Quote:
I will have to get exact model number. But is going for $889 here. Trigger is abit heavy.
Will the lower reciever take regular ar15 parts like upgrade trigger from Velocity, ambi-safety, dual mag release from Tacdom and ambi bcg release by phase 5 EV3 from Tacdom also. This is what I have on my ar15 lower from Aero Precision.
Thanks for info.
The trigger should fit, but the AR-9 is a direct blowback as opposed to a gas operated system. The bolt is coming back harder than with the .223/5.56, causing damage or premature wear. That is why there are specific AR-9 or PCC triggers as well.

Ambidextrous safety should not be an issue. The gun has the safe/fire marking on the other side and rotates when the safety selector is moved.

As for the ambidextrous BCG release, I don't see and issue either as the rifle profile is standard AR-15 except for the magwell. I have never used it so I can't answer for sure though.

As for the Ambidextrous mag release, I got my gun set up for Glock mags. It is a bit of a weird system as there is a longish lever as opposed to a regular button. They do have a disclaimer on the Tacdom site that says the mag release is for milspec guns only. Take a look at the right side of the gun: https://diamondbackfirearms.com/portfolio/db9rmlb/ It does not seem to be used switchable would ambidextrous may be out of the question.

Last edited by stephen426; October 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old October 27, 2020, 09:05 PM   #5
napg19

Thanks for the info. I should have known better on ambi mag release. I will look into ar9 triggers though. The full model number is DB9RMLB. This hand guard has m-lok slots vs the key mode as seen in reviews. I have a E-OTECH sight I would put on and maybe iron sights from Me-Prolight cause the front sight has a Tritiun insert in it, as small as it is. I like the light weight of this
carbine. I have to check with heart doctor tomorrow due to weaker heart muscles. Had a ICD put in last month , but it's on opposite side of shooting shoulder, that's why Ixm looking at 9mm carbine. AR15 may or not be a problem for me to shoot anymore.
Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated.
Old October 27, 2020, 10:47 PM   #6
stephen426

@napg19,

Glad I was able to help. Their guns do look pretty cool and have some decent features, but their stock triggers really do leave something to be desired. My Smith & Wesson M&P Sport had a much nicer stock trigger. I added some Meprolight sights on mine, but I wouldn’t spend too much money on irons since E-OTECH is a good reliable sight.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope the doc gives you a green light to keep on shooting. The recoil from 9mm isn’t that much lighter than the AR-15, but a short barrel AR-15 is a heck of a lot louder. If you enjoy shooting, consider a .22 LR conversion kit for your AR-15. Practically no kick at all and ammo is a LOT cheaper.

Good luck and take care!