The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Hookem2244

To Saiga or not?

I have a buddy with a Saiga and have handled but never fired it. For all intents and purposes it appearrs the ultimate defefense shotgun, but he complains that the extended round mags he has do not feed consistently. On top of that the last gun show I went to had the prices nearing $1000 for the shotgun. I am considering getting into a Saiga but have a pistol gripped Defender pump gun that does what I need it to and don't know if its worth the investment?
Old July 25, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
BigJimP

Is it worth the investment ...( you already know they don't feed reliably ...) ... so no, not in my opinion ..../and the cost is irrelevent to me...

the ultimate in defensive or fighting shotguns ...not in my view .../but then the last thing I'd depend on for defense is a shotgun anyway. Handguns - if you can shoot effectively - are way more versatile ...

I think you need to consider what you need for "Defense" ....vs an all out "gun battle" ... Most of the experts say a Defensive situation is over in a few seconds ....so having more than 3 rounds in a shotgun may not matter...

If you really want a top end Fighting shotgun - look at the Benelli M-4 ...but if you don't like the $1,000 price tag on the Saiga ...you are really not going to like the $ 1,650 or so price tag on the M-4 ....( but sometimes you get what you pay for ). Buying a shotgun, or any gun, that you know will not feed reliably - makes little to no sense to me....

Here is a link to the M-4 / at least check it out ....
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php
Old July 25, 2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Hookem2244

Thanks...that was pat of my question ...is the feeding issues a one-off or is it a known issue? Also, do we know why the dramatic price hike on the saiga? I remember a few months ago seeing them from 500-600 bucks...
Old July 25, 2011, 05:29 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't own one ....but based on what I hear, the feeding issues are relatively common. But I don't have any details on whether it can be fixed with better parts or what is causing it...

Price trends on them ....I just don't know .../ I see a few at the gunshows ...and maybe the prices are up - just because ...

I've kind of written them off as junk - so I don't pay any attention to them honestly. Some of the guys I shoot with - at my local range - talk about them / and I've seen some articles in gun magazines and on-line about them - but I don't know anyone that has bought one.

But like I said - I sure wouldn't invest in anything that had feeding issues. I think you have a lot of other choices out there ..if you want a "fighting" shotgun.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Hookem2244

thanks much for the info and feedback.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
BigJimP

Sure....

If I were you ....unless you just want to potentially burn up $1,000 .../ or if the $1,000 budget is no big deal .....I'd say wait for someone in your area or group of buddies to buy one ...and ride on their learning curve.

Maybe they're getting better ...maybe not ...kind of hard to tell. Maybe it would be fun to have --- maybe not ....

Several months ago - at a gun show / strictly on a lark ...I spend $ 20 on a 50 round drum mag in .45 acp for a 1911 ....( its junk / but I knew it was probably going to be junk when I bought it). Has it been fun to shoot ...when it doesn't jam, its ok .../ its really heavy ...but it'll make a great gag gift for one of my buddies birthdays ...so I'll have $ 20 worth of fun out of it ..../ I look at the Saiga - the same way ....( but for $1,000 ...I might be aggravated vs laughing it off ...) ...
Old July 25, 2011, 06:54 PM   #7
rottieman33

I own a Saiga 12 and have never had any feeding problems. And if you do get one with feeding problems it cost less then a $100 to fix. This is me in this video when my Saiga 12 was bone stock. 45 rounds not 1 problem.
And the prices have come back down on the Saiga's you can get one now just over $600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzIpjYRSH-s

Last edited by rottieman33; July 25, 2011 at 07:00 PM.