The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 18, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1
boylen33

New Here-Questions about a couple Winchester Rifles

Hi guys (and gals),
I am new here, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes. If this post is in the wrong catgory, I sincerely apologize!

I have a couple guns that were handed down to me from my father. I am looking to get rid of them, but I have no idea what I should ask for them. I'm hoping you guys can help me with some information.

The first one is (reading directly from what is stamped on the gun):

Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter Magnum 7 m/m Rem. Mag
Made in New Haven, Connecticut USA Winchester Proof Steel

The serial # on the other side of the barrel is:
G1926920

It has a Simmons Model #1104 Scope attached.

The gun is in what I would call good cosmetic condition and excellent firing condition. I have fired it numerous times without any problems.

The second gun:

Winchester Model 70 XTR 30-06 SPRG.
Serial #: G1419490

Scope: 2x-7x Redfield

I've included pictures of both guns.

I really appreciate any information you can give me, especially a price range I should ask (and maybe a minimum price I should take).

If you need any more info, let me know and I can try to provide it for you if you can tell me where to look specifically on the gun. Thanks in advance!

I
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7mm.jpg (217.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 30-06.jpg (237.8 KB, 47 views)
Old November 18, 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Buzzcook

Your best bet as far as assessing value is to go to gun broker and find what the guns sold for there.

At the very least I'd say $450.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:40 PM   #3
jmr40

Nothing at all wrong with those guns, but you'd have a hard time selling an older pushfeed Winchester around here at most any price. The pawnshops are full of them that won't move. It may be different in other parts of the country but I have 2 similar guns that I couldn't sell for $300 each. I will keep them before I'll sell for less than that.
Old November 19, 2011, 07:49 PM   #4
ed1957

I have also recently inherited guns and hope someone here can help me find info on two of the Winchesters I have.
The first one is a model 1885 and has 25 wcf stamped on top of the barrel between the reciever and the rear barrel mounted sight. In front of that sight is engraved, manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven Conn. U.S.A. This gun also has a flip up sight at the rear of the reciever. I'd like to know when this gun was made and it's value.
The second gun is a model 61 pump action .22 On the barrel is stamped Winchester trade mark Made in U.S.A. and model 61 22 sl or l.r. On the underside of the reciever in front of the trigger guard a serial number is stamped twice. 308277 Again I would like to know when this gun was made and it's value.
I do also have a model 101 12 gauge. Judging from the pictures I saw on the winchester website I will say it is the field model of the 4 variations they have photo'd. I have seen this same gun listed through a dealer online for $1,399. Does that sound like a reasonable comparison of value?
Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by ed1957; November 19, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old November 20, 2011, 09:13 AM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Hijacker

Welcome to TFL Ed ! Your first post is a hijacking of someone elses thread . Not a great way to start out , but no big deal either . I'd suggest that you read the stickeys on posting to get a better idea of proper ettiquet (sp) . If you repost your questions as a thread you will get responces . The first responce you get will ask for pictures , as it's impossible to asses even ballpark value without them . Have a good one !
Mike

Tags
7 m/m , 7mm , winchest , xtr