The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 10, 2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Tucker 1371

Which is best for me?

If I show up at a USPSA or IDPA match with my CZ75 SP01 (safety, not decocker) which class/division will I get put in for either? The pistol is as it came out of the box. I'd like to just show up and shoot while buying as little extra crap as possible and without doing anything to my pistol.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 10, 2016, 10:29 AM   #2
9x45

You wold be USPSA Production DIvision (mags loaded to 10 and scored minor), or IDPA ESP Division (same mag capacity and minor scoring). Since you are not a member of either organization, and have never shot a classifier, you will be unclassified. You will need some extra crap though, a good gun belt, like a Wilderness Tactical Instructors, a good holster, like a BladeTech Revolution, at lest 5 mags for USPSA, and 5 mag pouches, singles are better because they conform better, you only allowed 2 on your belt for IDPA. Electric ears are a plus, Peltor Tac 6's are $50 Amazon. Bring 250 rounds for USPSA and 150 for IDPA. Best thing is to contact the nearest match director and ask if they have a mandatory training required before you are allowed to shoot. Some clubs do, some don't. You will be squaded with experienced shooters who will help you thru. One wierd thing is you must start with the hammer down in USPSA, meaning you may have to lower the hammer with your thumb, don't know your exact CZ model. Don't remember the rule for IDPA ESP.
Old March 10, 2016, 11:46 AM   #3
RickB

You can shoot the CZ in either SSP or ESP, in IDPA.
SSP, you must start hammer-down. For ESP, you can start hammer-down or cocked 'n' locked.
If the hammer is down, you have the choice of safety-on or safety-off in both divisions.
Old March 11, 2016, 01:03 AM   #4
Tucker 1371

I have my Safariland duty belt that I use for work might do in a pinch for USPSA, I'm eyeballing either a Bladetech or KT holster. Also have a Stormrider overlord belt. Both are very stable but bulky and require an inner Velcro belt. I am short magazines and mag pouches, probably going to buy Mec gar mags and Safariland pouches.

For IDPA I'm pretty well set besides the magazine pouches.

I know none of that gear is really optimal but I'd prefer to shoot IDPA with the holster I carry my CZ in regularly, or for USPSA Id like to shoot with a close analogue to my duty holster (something like a Safariland ALS). I don't want to use my actual duty gun because .40 is expensive.

I guess my biggest concern was whether or not my CZ was too heavy to run in either association without modification.

Last edited by Tucker 1371; March 11, 2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old March 11, 2016, 09:42 AM   #5
9x45

Competition gun belts are not gear belts, like your'e looking at. If your'e going to get an inner/outer belt, go for the CR Speed belt, it's designed specifically for competition, and used by most everyone in USPSA, especially in Open and Limited, that run inner/outers. In IDPA you can't use an outer belt. You are better off to start with a Wilderness Instructors 5 stitch, and if you really get into the game later, go for a CR. The KT holster does not have any tension or position adjustment, and is pretty wide and bulky. Again you are better off with a BladeTech Revolution or Safariland ALS. Safariland mag pouches are fine, especially the # 773 adjustable and # 074 singles. Don't recommend Megars either, they fit variants of the CZ, you are better off to get OEM mags. You will find that you want reliability in competition, and what you will see in competition is what guns and gear work. Your CZ is not too heavy, and generally speaking, the heavier the gun, the less the recoil event. Lots of guys add weight to plastic frame guns for that reason. You really need to get to a match, even if just to watch, before you go out and buy a bunch of stuff that's not optimal for competition. There will be plenty of CZ shooters at both IDPA and USPSA matches.
Old March 11, 2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

10-4, good to know my gun makes weight, I'd hate to show up and get told to bring another gun next time. Unfortunately Safariland doesn't make the ALS for a CZ SP01. The KT Duty AKELA does have a spring loaded retention strap which seemed pretty fast for a retention holster to me and requires a motion somewhat similar to the ALS.

For IDPA I want to compete in my EDC setup, with a T shirt or a jacket, because I never wear vests on the street. My motivation to start doing competitions is for training, I don't want to spend money and build muscle memory on gear that I'm not going to be carrying out on the street.

To paint a better picture here are my reasons, in order, for wanting to compete-

1.) Training
2.) Fun
3.) Benchmark my skills
4.) Fun
5.) Becoming a better shooter (training)
6.) Fun
<
100.) Winning a competition

*edit
Quote:
You really need to get to a match, even if just to watch, before you go out and buy a bunch of stuff that's not optimal for competition. There will be plenty of CZ shooters at both IDPA and USPSA matches.
I have both belts already, and I didn't buy them for competition. I lack mag pouches, a holster, and 3 magazines. I am specifically avoiding buying anything I don't absolutely have to. If it's something I already have I don't care if its optimal for competition if will hold a gun up and get me out there that's good enough for me. Really just wanted to know if my gun would make weight for IDPA and fit somewhere into the rules in USPSA.

Last edited by Tucker 1371; March 11, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old March 11, 2016, 02:07 PM   #7
9x45

Well, don't take any gun game as training, except for the weapon manipulation and shooting fast and accurately part while moving..... Your CZ is fine, still wouldn't get a really wide holster because there is no adjustment, it may fit you well, it may not. Straight drop belt loop holsters are still the best, and you don't want retention for competition. You might consider an IWB holster for IDPA, although it's not required. Here is a CZ write up for you.

http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/id...LegalFINAL.pdf
Old March 11, 2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Tucker 1371

I do want retention because if, God forbid, I have to use it for work I'll have to clear a retention holster. I want to get better at presentation to target, shooting and moving, shooting accurately, and shooting accurately quickly.

I know IWB probably isn't ideal for IDPA either but that's how I carry so that's how I will compete.
Old March 11, 2016, 07:00 PM   #9
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker 1371
For IDPA I want to compete in my EDC setup, with a T shirt or a jacket, because I never wear vests on the street. My motivation to start doing competitions is for training, I don't want to spend money and build muscle memory on gear that I'm not going to be carrying out on the street.
I can't count how many times I've heard that from someone who wants to shoot IDPA. Once they get hooked, their priority list eventually inverts at some point. Funny how that works.

In the meantime, be safe and have fun, but please don't be "one of those" who poo-poos the rules and/or others as "gamers" because they don't share your (current) priorities. As 9x45 correctly pointed out, it's a game, after all, not SD training.

Good luck at your upcoming match!
Old March 11, 2016, 07:35 PM   #10
9x45

The premise of IDPA is practical/tactical, and you should run your carry gun from an IWB holster, with full house ammo, under a T shirt, however, you will find the top guys running OWB trick stuff.
Old March 11, 2016, 08:00 PM   #11
Tucker 1371

Thanks y'all. If I find myself really getting into the competition aspect of it then I very well may change my gear. But for now it's a less wallet shocking way to improve my skills than attending something like the Gunsite Academy. And it seems a heck of a lot more fun. I know it's not training per se but anything that forces me to quickly draw, shoot, move, and think has some kind of training value.

I've gotten some good SD training from some good instructors over the years, I just want to further develop the skills and fundamentals that go into applying that training.
Old March 12, 2016, 11:27 AM   #12
g.willikers

While the games might not pass for training exercises, they will help you develop very good gun handling skills.
And don't be overly concerned with the equipment.
If it can pass the rule books and safety concerns, use whatever you like.
I started with a $10 nylon holster and army surplus mag pouches.
Eventually got around to replacing it with nice leather stuff.
Never did graduate to gamer gear and still could sneak into the top ten at local matches on occasion.
(Like when the top guys were away at a higher level match).
For now and the near future, the equipment is the least of it - really.

Last edited by g.willikers; March 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old March 12, 2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Jim Watson

IDPA specifically allows duty gear in Tier 1 (local club) matches IF you are active duty police or military and it really is your working rig. Don't be like the guy who showed up in a mishmash of gun show tackytickle nylon and foreign surplus claiming that was what he wore as a reserve officer in South Podunk.

USPSA has some limitations on Production harness.

Both outfits have rule book provisions for guns and gear. Reading up is helpful.

The first time out, nobody will care what you shoot or what you draw it from as long as you are generally safe and can follow range requirements and stage instructions. So anything you have that is remotely suitable is ok to start with. The caution is to avoid buying something new that does not meet specs.
Old March 12, 2016, 10:12 PM   #14
Tucker 1371

Got it, don't really care to shoot the County's Glock 22 at a match, I know it's probably the gun I should be getting better with but I kinda hate shooting it.

Sorry to be such a PITA guys lol, thanks for the pointers though. Like I said I have belts that will work for either IDPA or USPSA, just need a duty style holster for USPSA and mags and mag pouches for either.

I take it I won't be allowed to do back pocket reloads in IDPA can I?

Yes I'm that cheap.
Old March 12, 2016, 10:18 PM   #15
Jim Watson

You may indeed reload from your hip pocket.
The rule is that you must carry ammo in the same place for the entire match and it can't be above the waist. Pants or jacket side pocket ok, shirt or breast pocket not allowed.
Old March 13, 2016, 06:10 PM   #16
Tucker 1371

Ok thanks!