The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Bewildered & hung up about mold brands.

Hello to all:
Got nothing but time on my hands this winter.
I've been casting for years so I kind'a know what I'm doing. But as I late I've been casting & G/checking for a 32 Special with and old Lyman 321297 mold I pick-up years ago second hand. Cheap compared to today's prices. After a little tweaking of the loads I've gotten great results from Alliant 2400 in that cartridge. Very pleased with the 32s outcome.

But now I have another cartridge I would like to cast for. The old Venerable (30-30 Winchester)
But all the info lately read. Many casters say the Lyman 311041 is the best mold for that 30-30 application. Then there are those who say the Saeco 307 mold is the better of the two. Could you fellers shed some light on the subject. I don't know if my RCBS mold handles will fit a Saeco mold even.
But , _What's your preference on these two similar molds & why please?

(As always, any & all comments are welcome)

Have a couple 30-30s here to cast for.
1. Marlin model 36 lever
2 Winchester model 94- Pre

S/S
Old January 31, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I would say try Lee 2 cavity. You can get 3 molds that have the handles already on them for less than the price of just one of the others.

All 6 of my molds are Lee. My fave is the 45-70 405 grain HB single cavity nose pour. My Marlin shoots them well.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
reloader28

I know my Lyman handles fit RCBS molds, but I had to drill seperate holes in them for a Saeco mold. If you have a drill press its easy. Or get some Lee 6 cav handles. Cheap and very nice handles.

Alotta guys like the Lee 30 cal molds. I have tried nothing but their pistol molds.

The RCBS 150gr (drops at 160gr) shoots good from my 30-30's and so does the Lyman 311041 (drops at 180gr). I just picked up an NOE 311-165 FN (drops at 170gr). Very nice mold and it has a HUGE meplat. Still working on the perfect load for it, but it shows promise. Should make an awesome hunting bullet. I do have to use the Lee handles with the NOE mold.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I would say try Lee 2 cavity. You can get 3 molds that have the handles already on them for less than the price of just one of the others.
Years ago I was given a Lee mold to try Sir. To be honest I had a devil of a time with it. To hot or too cold. Although the bullets it turn out were more than satisfactory for my needs (hunting & paper) I'm not one to mic every corner on a bullet looking for perfection. And my abilities for the most part cause me to want to cast bullets near frosted all the time. Then again if I were to want pretty bullets I'd polish them up with a cloth once their seated. But, I kind of turned away from aluminum shortly there after that one experience with a Lee. And went to iron from then on. You are right m&p45acp10+1 about the difference in costs. No doubt about that Sir. To have a supply of iron molds for each of the calibers here. I could have probably bought a new Weatherby Lazer Mark I kid you not. Any how. I do thank you for your input m&p45acp10+1 as it was surely appreciated._

The RCBS 150gr (drops at 160gr) shoots good from my 30-30's and so does the Lyman 311041 (drops at 180gr). I just picked up an NOE 311-165 FN (drops at 170gr). Very nice mold and it has a HUGE meplat.

I just was over there at NOE for a look see peek reloader28. That 041 and 311-165 both are neat looking bullets when I open their design sheets. Especially that 3 cav all G/C with one cav being a HP also. Now that mold is the cats meow. But it appears those molds are indeed aluminum. I suppose I could ask if there willing to machine me one made from brass. Then again I could purchase a iron 2 cav and have someone HP one cav for me. Either way the prices would probably be equal across the board. The only difference I can see would be the bullets Dia. measurement when dropped. I suppose I could call Lyman and ask about there 041. Or perhaps someone here knows and could post what it is please? I can't use a 309 here. My preferred cast is 311-312 if I can get one? Than a simple re-size down to 310 for both rifles use. Any how its a work in progress. Well Sir. Thanks again for your input also reloader 28. Knowing about the 311-165 is indeed helpful. Decisions decisions. "It ain't easy is it."

S/S
Old February 2, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
reloader28

Sure Shot The Noe is an aluminum mold, but VERY high quality. Nothing like a 2 cav Lee. More like a Seaco plus it includes the top punch, 2 allen wrenches and a container of Bullplate lube.

I have the Lyman too and its amazing how much bigger the meplat is on the NOE 165.

I'm not sure if its advertised on the site or not, but when they did the group buy on the 165 he offered a 314 dia too if that helps you out any.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:07 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I'm not sure if its advertised on the site or not, but when they did the group buy on the 165 he offered a 314 dia too if that helps you out any.
314 dia. is to much for my purposes. 311-312 max. NOE has a 6 month wait on there 3 cav molds though. Accurate Molds on the other hand can ship fairly quick. But they don't do any HPs. Where as NOE does. Both manufactures use aluminum for their blocks. I know I can get a Lyman 2 cav and have one cavity HP'ed pretty reasonable. By doing it that way I would have iron instead of aluminum and the Lyman would be near the same price as NOE or Accurate >aluminum< molds price. Still undecided how to proceed. Again its still a work in progress reloader28.-