The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Deltadart

Rifle Front Sight Pusher

I am looking for a pusher for the front sight on a Uberti 1873 Winchester clone. The rifle has an octagon barrel and does not have a ramp. I see a lot of pistol sight pushers available, and Williams has the front ramp sight pusher but I do not find any pushers for this particular rifle. I know there are the various brass or plastic punches available to use with a hammer, but I would rather not use those. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old August 25, 2020, 11:32 AM   #2
Dave T

I waited before responding in case someone else knew of a pusher but apparently like me, they don't know of one either.

The only method I've ever seen (or used) was to clamp the barrel in a padded vice and have at the sight base with a hardwood, plastic or brass rod...encouraged along by a hammer or preferably a mallet.

Sorry that isn't what you asked for but then life is full of these little disappointments. (smile)

Dave
Old August 25, 2020, 03:27 PM   #3
arcticap

I looked up pushers too.
And even though some are "universal", they're for pistols.
But I also wondered if one of them could be used for this application because the rifle barrel itself is smaller than a pistol slide.
But the magazine tube would also be in the way.
Even if it were removed, I don't know if these pushers would work as advertised on this particular sight, and may even cause damage.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then try to find a competent friend [or gunsmith] who would be willing to help make the adjustments for you.
It would be helpful to determine the amount that the sight actually needs to be moved to help minimize errors.
There's a formula that can used.
I looked it up:
--------------
The formula for front sight adjustment or replacement is:
Record:
error on target in inches
distance to target in inches
sight radius in inches.
divide error on target by distance to target,
multiply by sight radius.

The sight radius is the distance between the front and rear sight expressed in inches.

If the rear sight is adjustable, adjust it to the middle of its adjustment limits to allow a range of adjustment up or down after replacing or modifying the front sight.

For example, if the sight radius on a pistol is 10 inches:

error on target= 12" low.
distance to target is 900".
sight radius is 10".
12" divided by 900" = 0.01333 x 10" = 0.133".

The front sight has to be lowered by 0.133 inches or a bit more than 1/8 of an inch (.125).

Last edited by arcticap; August 26, 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old August 25, 2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Deltadart

Arcticap
Thank you for the formula. That will show me exactly how far to move the sights without much trial and error. Very helpful. I did find a sight pusher from Williams Gunsight. This one is for ramp sights, so that you do not break the screws off trying to beat the sight into alignment. It has a set of jaws that are replaceable, or moveable. By adding a spacer and longer screws the jaws can be lowered some. That may work for the rifle barrel I have.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod16152.aspx
Old August 25, 2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Here is a tip for using a brass punch and small hammer to drift the sight in any dovetail. Place the punch as low as possible on the sight. Place the tip of the index finger of your other hand on the interface between the sight and the dovetail on the opposite side. If you do this at a bench you can steady the muzzle of the gun with the hand that has the finger tip on the sight. I have never had to use a vice. Use a light hammer, I like to use a small ball peen hammer with an 8 ounce head. Strike the punch carefully with light strikes. Your finger will tell you when the sight moves. It will not be enough to see the move, but your finger will feel it.

I have never used a formula to figure out how far to move the sight, I usually do it at the range. After the sight has moved a little bit I fire a few rounds to see where my point of impact is. No different than adjusting an adjustable sight at the range and using a few rounds to zero in. It does not usually take very long to get the sight adjusted right where I want it.
Old August 26, 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Pahoo

One size, does not fit all

Quote:
I waited before responding in case someone else knew of a pusher but apparently like me, they don't know of one either.
I too have been waiting as well. In my earlier year. I made a pusher out of a 2" square of steel tubing. It worked on that M/L application but did not fit all. Currently I'm mostly use an Aluminum punch that I made out of a long "gutter" nail/spike. I do have brass punches of different diameters but on this application, I mostly use aluminum. .......

Be Safe !!
Old August 26, 2020, 05:09 PM   #7
Old No7

This one is advertised in The Single Shot Exchange magazine (I've not seen it elsewhere) -- the reports on it are very positive, and there's no chance of a hammer hitting your rifle.

This Link (Click HERE) to the Wyoming Sight Drifter also has a short video on how to use it.

Old No7
Old August 26, 2020, 06:29 PM   #8
arcticap

Deltadart,
Here's a photo of an Uberti 1873 front sight from one of their models, the short rifle I think.
Is it basically the same sight as yours?

https://www.range365.com/uberti-1873...-rifle-review/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZG3RZUQLUZFHFJQE2T5J7JCHGM.jpg (41.6 KB, 151 views)
Old August 26, 2020, 07:10 PM   #9
Deltadart

Yes it does look similar to my rifle.
Old August 26, 2020, 09:40 PM   #10
Deltadart

I have never seen that sight adjusting tool, the idea looks pretty good to me. I am wondering if I could grind off the point of spring loaded center punch, take a small piece of brass round stock. Drill a compatible hole in one end and silver braze it on to the center punch rod. I have those pieces readily available and it should not be much of a project.
Old August 26, 2020, 09:52 PM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

This is the front sight of my Uberti 1873. I replaced the original with a Marbles front sight with a gold bead.

The front sight of a Winchester Model 1873 that left the factory in 1887.

The front sight of a Winchester Model 1890 that left the factory in 1928.

The method I described will work for any of them.

I doubt if your idea with the spring loaded center punch would work. I doubt if the spring delivers enough of a smack to move a sight sitting in a dovetail.

I have drifted a lot of front sights and rear sights on rifles with the method I described.
Old August 27, 2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Dave T

I would love to find a currently made copy of that middle picture of Driftwood's original 1873. Anyone know of a source for a sight like that?

Dave
Old August 27, 2020, 07:05 PM   #13
arcticap

Why not look for an original?
At least you know that the original part exists.
Search dealers of antique Winchester gun parts.

Last edited by arcticap; August 27, 2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old August 27, 2020, 07:08 PM   #14
44 Dave

DSCN5626.JPG'73 with a Lyman tang peep sight