The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2020, 09:33 AM   #1
range_rider13

Wards Hercules Model 50 in 20 Gauge

Gentlemen:

I inherited an old Wards Hercules Model 50 in 20 gauge back in 1973. I started shooting it in the mid 1960's and it was well used then. I am told it is a Stevens 311/5100 made for Wards. Serial # 409XX. It is a hammer-less side by side with double triggers and approximately 27 3/4" barrels (so I guess they would be considered 28"). It has a wooden stock and forearm which I assume are walnut.

My question is, where do I locate the choke markings for each barrel? If there are no markings, what would have been the normal/most popular chokes for this side by side? The front trigger fires the right barrel and the back trigger the left.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old August 9, 2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Virginian

Most 28" barrels were choked Modified and Full. I don't remember for sure but I think the choke markings are on the barrel flats.
Old August 9, 2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Pahoo

Agree

Quote:
Most 28" barrels were choked Modified and Full.
Yes, I'm good with that. Now, if you can't confirm with any barrel markings, try to locate a local smith that has a choke gauge. It's a "V" shaped plate that has marking, on the face. You can also Mic the bores or put a dime, into the muzzle. The full will not let the dime, through. You have a nice old classic there and some of my favorites. ....

Be Safe !!
Old August 9, 2020, 07:56 PM   #4
range_rider13

Gentlemen thank you both for your replies.
Old August 9, 2020, 11:43 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

The dime trick works on 12 ga., not 20.
Old August 10, 2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Ricklin

I do believe

The dime only works on old 12 gauge full chokes. That little trick helped me figure out an issue, once upon a time.
I bought a used Winchester 101, one of the originals, not the current one. It was marked modified and full.
What it ended up being was modified and less modified. I bought the gun to shoot trap with.
The chokes had been opened up, I assume it was modified for steel shot.

The plus of purchasing from a real live gunshop. The owner knew I purchased the gun for trap. He did not have another gun in the store that was suitable. We ordered in a suitable trap shotgun, and he applied the full amount I paid for the gun that had been modified.
Small shop, he did not have a choke gauge. I did not think to check it.

Modern full choke 12 gauge may allow a dime to pass the muzzle, and still be a full choke.
Old August 10, 2020, 04:48 PM   #7
range_rider13

Ricklin, I have a Browning BPS from 1995 and a Winchester 101 from 2017 both in 12 gauge and a dime does barely pass through the invector plus full chokes that came with each shotgun.

My old Wards Hercules Model 50 is at my gunsmith's having the safety repaired and new front sight installed. I'll ask him if he can show me where the chokes are marked or measure them for me. When I took it in to him last week he did mention that most guns of that vintage were full and modified. Virginian and Pahoo verified it.

I'll let you all know what I find out when I get it back.