The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2020, 09:23 PM   #1
cdoc42

Velocity of the pattern

As I was missing a lot of clays this morning because they were firing out of my electric thrower and getting to 50 yards so fast all I was doing was chasing them, I began to wonder if my load rated at 1200 fps was truly helping at all.

Sure, my technique was not up to par but the question that survived this embarrassment was, "Which part of the shot string is going 1200 fps?" Just the first 10%? 25%? How fast are those last trailing pellets going?

Does it really matter or should I have just concentrated more on my lead?
Old July 27, 2020, 09:41 PM   #2
TXAZ

The basic physics of the problem is pretty simple. As long as the projectile is moving *much faster* that the target, it gets down to a lead issue.
Even if the clays were being thrown at 100 mph aka 147 feet per second (which they aren't, closer to 40 - 50 mph), they're moving much slower than your shotgun load at 1000 fps+.
where you get into problems is when the ratio of the interceptor speed (the pellets) is close to that of the target, then it may become very difficult to catch the target.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 28, 2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Virginian

We are in the golden age of OCD.
Old July 30, 2020, 01:51 PM   #4
jmr40

I don't know the answer to your question. But I do know that a shorter shot string on moving targets is a plus. If you have several feet between the 1st pellets and the last pellets only a few of the pellets will be arriving on target even if your aim is perfect, the rest will be behind the target. The only time a long shot string is an advantage is if you're shooting in front of the target. Which rarely happens.

I bought one of the 20 ga 870 youth shotguns with a 21" barrel for turkey hunting a few years ago. But even with an extra full turkey tube didn't find a shell that gave me patterns I felt comfortable with. I didn't use the gun for several years until I read a recommendation for another type of ammo.

It was the same brand as what I'd tried earlier, (Winchester) same shot size, (#5) same shot weight (1 1/4 oz). But the old shells were rated at 1185 fps, the new loads 1000 fps.

The difference in patterns was dramatic. With the 1185 fps loads I wouldn't have tried a shot over 20-25 yards. The 1000 fps loads were easily a 35-40 yard load.

The shells you use CAN make a difference. Don't know if this is the case here or not.

Winston Churchill
Old July 30, 2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
The difference in patterns was dramatic. With the 1185 fps loads I wouldn't have tried a shot over 20-25 yards. The 1000 fps loads were easily a 35-40 yard load.
In the old days, shotguns and shells competed on pattern and penetration - because chronographs were not well developed. W.W. Greener called his competitors on using two different loads and scotched it by putting the Pettit's Pad in the middle of the patterning board.
Old July 31, 2020, 07:02 AM   #6
stuckinthe60s

its not a speed issue, its an aim issue. if that thrower is close to you in a back yard situation, its not the ammo, or speed, or the target going faster than the shot, its you.
sorry.
now, with that said, what choke are you using?
what brand ammo?
name the machine youre using.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old July 31, 2020, 08:52 AM   #7
clang

If you were chasing clay targets, you were probably shooting behind them, and a long shot string vs a short one probably won't make much of a difference.

If you were shooting at them past 50 yards, you probably also have a problem with your pellet pattern density is too thin.

I always try to get on the clay birds fast and shoot through them.
Old August 6, 2020, 10:19 PM   #8
cdoc42

Sorry for the absence.

Stuckinthe60's- I'm using a Ruger Red Label, 30" with Imp Mod and Mod. Works well in Sporting Clays but this "back yard" thrower fires them out really fast even when the spring is at the least tension (I forget the name of it and it's not at home to check it out). The ammo is handloads at recipes that deliver 1175 to 1200 fps of 7.5 and 8's.

I think Clang hit the mark. I know I was chasing those suckers and at long distance the pattern was probably thin with those chokes. I found a few unbroken clays with one or two holes in them- obviously by "stray"pellets in a blown-out pattern at that distance.

I plan to change to mod and full when I do this again. Also pay a great deal more attntion to my technique.
Old August 7, 2020, 09:06 AM   #9
Double K

First thing is to pattern the gun at the distance the op expects to shoot the target.
Second assuming the pattern is sufficiently dense he needs a person with good vision to stand behind him and watch his swing and where the pattern is going, with good lighting conditions small shot clouds can be seen.
Old August 7, 2020, 12:28 PM   #10
Don Fischer

I think when it comes the shooting, reloading and chasing women men have a definite disadvantage. We tend to over think the problem!
Old August 7, 2020, 02:16 PM   #11
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I think when it comes the shooting, reloading and chasing women men have a definite disadvantage. We tend to over think the problem!
Funny and I would tend to agree!

Most of those electric throwers have a speed adjustment on them-turn it down until you can hit the targets!
You don't need to throw the targets at international trap speeds if your a weekend shooter.
Old August 8, 2020, 05:34 AM   #12
JT-AR-MG42

IIRC, Perazzi did testing on target paper being towed at 50 mph back in the 60's when they were working
on choke improvements.

Testing showed shot strings were approximately 12 feet long.
Needless to say, the beginning and end of the string was thinner.

So there is your window on crossers or a post one 1 left or a post 5 right.

JT