The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2020, 09:55 AM   #1
ghbucky

Looking for feedback on a Bushnell Nitro scope

I've been doing research into optics over the last few days and ran into this:

Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10x44

It ticks all the boxes I was looking for at a pretty shockingly low price (Amazon lists it a $229).

Does anyone have any experience with this, or Bushnell optics in general? Are they any good?

What I was looking for is a low power variable scope with a fairly small objective lens with adjustable parallax and First focal plane for out to 500 yards.

Most of what I was encountering was 4 times the price and up for that list, so I'm leery of it being this low of a price, but I'm certainly not going to complain if it is good.

I've read that there are cheaper scopes that don't react to dial changes until they 'settle in' by either tapping them or firing a couple of times. Is this one of those?
Old August 12, 2020, 11:23 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Your last line hits on exactly what I have heard about these scopes.
The erector system seems to be "sticky". Adjustments will usually take effect when dialed in, but not always. Sometimes a shot or three must be fired for the erector to 'pop' to where you want it. Sometimes, especially with smaller adjustments, it won't change until you dial back past the original point, then go back past it again in the intended direction.

For example, say it's sitting at 14 clicks from center.
You dial up to 18 clicks, but it doesn't move.
So, you have to dial back to 12, then back up to 18.
...And hope it actually worked.

I ran across this article a while back, where the Nitro stopped tracking properly twice, even though it was still moving the appropriate amount, otherwise. I know that sounds unclear, but it's best to read the guy's own description. Regardless, it is not very confidence inspiring.
Scroll down to "Tracking": Battle of the Asian Optics

They aren't the only scopes around with those kinds of issues, though. The Filipino Redfields are known for sticky tracking, and have been since the first imports (the Revenge line - one of which, I own).

Bushnell scopes, in general... I used to think their stuff that was above "budget" grade was okay but overpriced. ...Until an Elite 4200 developed a wandering zero, on top of growing hazy with just a year's worth of use. Bushnell couldn't even replace it, because they had discontinued the product, due to quality issues.
I won't buy Bushnell scopes now.
Some of their other optics and fine, or even good. But I won't buy their scopes.
Old August 12, 2020, 11:41 AM   #3
ghbucky

Thanks,

That article was very informative.

I'll keep looking for my unicorn.
Old August 15, 2020, 10:05 PM   #4
BuckBerry

I’ve got the very same scope. (SFP, not sure if that’s what you listed or not). For the price, I guess I don’t have any major complaints. I’m not an extreme optics snob, but I’m also not a newby. I’ve had 2 scopes that have become my “standard”: Leupold VX-3i, and Vortex Viper HS-T. I love those scopes. This Nitro is not on that level, period. But again, FOR THE PRICE, it’s not bad. I do like the tool-less zero adjustment of the turrets. I don’t like how Bushnell markets the scope as a $400-ish scope but then they are constantly on some type of epic sale. The sale price is really the standard price. I’m not really pleased with the eye relief, but it’s not terrible. It does seem to be quite durable.

Hope this helps..... Dang I sound like a snob...
Old August 17, 2020, 08:36 AM   #5
2damnold4this

I have a Bushnell Nitro, though it's a different model. The way I use it, I don't mess with the adjustments after setting the zero. I use the Mil dot reticle to determine holds and don't try to adjust the turrets. If you want to use the turrets to dial for wind or range, get a different scope.