The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 20, 2018, 03:20 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

Is this TSA approved?

The last time that I researched this topic, which was a few years ago, various manufacturers would label their gun-cases as "TSA Approved" or "approved for airline travel". Now, I don't see any such statements on cases that are sold in stores. Also, the TSA website simply specifies that: "Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only." There's nothing about the case being "TSA Approved".

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

So, would this factory Glock case be OK, when secured by padlock(s)?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...1&d=1529525962

I also noticed that, loaded magazines are now OK, as long as they are not inserted into the firearm, and can be carried in the same locked case. If I remember correctly, it used to be required that ammunition be carried in a factory ammo box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1526 (1).JPG (188.5 KB, 64 views)
Old June 20, 2018, 04:32 PM   #2
TJB101

It’s hard sided .. works for me. I saw another post where the person denoted that they would tether the case to the inside of their suitcase. Haven’t tried that yet but would help hide it from the masses.
Old June 20, 2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Ive used both Glock and Smith &Wesson cases to travel with. Padlock em and youre good.

TSA approved locks can speed up the process of getting your bag inspected after you check it.
Old June 20, 2018, 04:39 PM   #4
zoomie

The ammo rules vary by airline. Check their rules as some are more specific than TSA.
Old June 20, 2018, 05:29 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking as a former TSA Security Screener... in an airport that was actually well-trained and had common sense...

TSA does not care what case you put the gun in, only that the container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
You should also be aware that any individual agent may decide that the factory (or any other) case does not meet these requirements. Even if you've flown with it 2,000 times. Will they? Probably not without reason, but it's always possible. There are some out there that seem to exist just to be a PITA.

Going back as long ago as I worked for TSA, (2007) loaded magazines have always been acceptable. The rule is, small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. Magazines have always been (or at least were when I did it and should be now) considered "specifically designed to carry small arms ammunition". However, it remains a bit of a risk, for the reason stated above. Any given agent may decide to make you have a bad day. Personally, I would never travel with loaded magazines. I see no reason. You MUST be bringing more ammo right? If you are, put the ammo in THOSE boxes. If you're not... I guess I'd wonder why. What good is a mag or 2 of ammo on your trip? In any case, I'd find another container.

One major source of cunfusion is the lock. The actual gun case itself SHOULD NOT be secured with a TSA lock. TSA is NOT allowed to open the gun case itself without you being present and you AND ONLY YOU should have a key to that lock.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bite
TSA approved locks can speed up the process of getting your bag inspected after you check it.
Brian Pfleuger beat me to it, but I'll reiterate for emphasis:

Do NOT use TSA padlocks on the actual gun case. On the outer suitcase that a handgun case is inside of, fine, but the actual firearms case cannot use TSA locks. The law says that the owner "shall" retain the key or the combination. Any TSA agent can open any TSA padlock -- that's the whole point of them. And the federal law does not want anyone other than the owner to be able to open the gun case.

I don't know if it still happens, but it used to be commonplace for a TSA agent to demand that the gun owner hand over the key to the gun case and the agent would go check the gun remote from the owner. NO! That's a direct violation of the law.

Quote:
Title 49: Transportation
PART 1540—CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY: GENERAL RULES
Subpart B—Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and Persons

§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; June 21, 2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Typo
Old June 20, 2018, 10:25 PM   #7
jrothWA

In 2009, flew from Seatac to Detroit,

transported three firearms,[ rifle, pump shotgun & J-frame].

Arrive for check-in and discovered that Minneapolis had a blizzard that October day, and rescheduling was needed.

Check-in at counter, was told to go to TSA area for travel inspection,

Had a simple plastic hard-case, to deter a pop the case and grab I had used three yellow plastic cover child lock to cause all firearms had to go together.

Agent was impressed, he question the two combination bike locking cables, wounded through the handles and around the case body, as to what they were and why one was taped {black electrical}, I responded with ID'ing the cable and the taped one used a different combination to open and I just wanted to remember only one . He agreed with that, but had to get a supervisor to clear the solid aluminum 20 GA., snap cap for the shotgun.

No further problems.
Old June 21, 2018, 03:42 AM   #8
BluRidgDav

Thanx everybody! The factory Glock case is not my first choice for transport, but, I just wondered if it was legal. I've ordered a nice small Pelican case to use most of the time.

Brian, Thanx for your TSA knowledge. But, to answer your questions:

"Personally, I would never travel with loaded magazines. I see no reason. You MUST be bringing more ammo right? If you are, put the ammo in THOSE boxes. If you're not... I guess I'd wonder why. What good is a mag or 2 of ammo on your trip?"

Many folks pack a self-defense handgun & a couple of loaded mags in their travel luggage for CCW in another state that offers reciprocity with their home state. They're not planning to shoot up any of those rounds, unless they have to. And its much easier to slide a pair of loaded magazines into a small handgun case, than a big thick box of factory ammo and those same magazines empty.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:55 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I can see that, but I still think I'd just spend $1.99 on an ammo box.

I fully realize that it shouldn't be an issue... but I can't tell you how many times I was left speechless by agents who were oblivious to rules that we had been trained on literally every single week, for months on end, to the point where you didn't even have to look at the training anymore and could recite it word for word.... and some agents didn't know.

Or worse, some who are intentionally obtuse about a rule. The most common one actually involved firearms.... "the ammunition for personal use" rule. At that time, the rule was that small arms ammunition (up to 12ga or 75 caliber) was allowed in "unlimited quantities for personal use". (I think they've since removed the "unlimited" verbiage but not set an actual limit) How could such a statement be misinterpreted? Well, agents will take it upon themselves to determine what quantity qualifies as "personal use". 50 rounds is personal use, but 100 isn't? or 500? Who gave them the authority to make that determination? Nobody. In fact, the rule even says "unlimited". Yet, they ignore "unlimited quantities", focus on "for personal use" and make themselves the dictionary.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:48 PM   #10
BillM

Most airlines go by an international standard for quantity of ammo you can check
per person. 5 Kg----which is 11 lbs. Alaska has higher limit (50 lbs.) on most flights, and Southwest seems to be OK with pushing that 11 lbs pretty hard. Remember it's per person---so even passengers not checking a gun can pack 11 lbs of ammo.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:46 PM   #11
rodfac

Good advice from Mr. Pfleuger, and I'll add that prior to my first time transporting handguns across the country to attend a defensive handgun course, I took my gun case to the airport and had the TSA personnel inspect it...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 23, 2018, 11:25 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"TSA Approved" is pure marketing. Just like saying "LEO only". Or "Milspec".
A case needs to be hard sided because the baggage monkies throw luggage around. Metal cases are best for that reason and as an anti-theft preventative.
Old June 23, 2018, 11:34 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"TSA Approved" is pure marketing. Just like saying "LEO only". Or "Milspec".
Heh, heh -- or "match grade"?

Since I don't think the TSA has ever engaged in "approving" firearms cases, other than on a one-by-one basis as they pass or reject individual travelers, I sometimes wonder if companies claiming their cases are "TSA approved" should be prosecuted for false advertising. If your case is TSA approved -- show me a copy of the letter or reprt from the TSA that says so.