The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 9, 2018, 12:21 AM   #1
dakota.potts

An article about my experience in gunsmithing school

Hello everybody,
some of you that I've talked to frequently know that I went to school to study gunsmithing. I graduated about this time last year. In that time, I worked for two companies (a growing custom precision rifle company and a US manufacturer of AK 47 type firearms). For reasons I'd prefer not to discuss, I chose to leave both jobs and I'm now working as an aerospace machinist while I gain experience and save money for the time when I'm ready to pursue professional gunsmithing again (likely as my own venture).

Anyways, part of that goal is revitalizing my website about precision gunsmithing and shooting, which brings us full circle to an article I published about my experience in gunsmithing school.

This is a question that comes up on gun forums from time to time and I believe this thread will continue to come up in future searches, so I hope it provides some more insight for people who are considering making the same move or are just curious about what it entails. I talk more in depth about the skills taught in different semesters, what it took to get through school successfully, and some of the potential downsides or gaps in education to be aware of.

I hope it's alright if I share the article here. It is a lengthy read but I tried to be pretty thorough.

Thanks for being a supportive community.

https://www.pottsprecision.com/blog/...-my-experience
Old June 9, 2018, 05:48 PM   #2
DaleA

Glad to see you back. I look forward to reading your article.

I am reminded of an old western where a European gentleman is asked by a young cowboy if the man is a gunsmith and could he fix his six-shooter?

The gent draws himself up to his full height (he was really short) and proclaims, "Young man, I am a MACHINIST! Guns are simple machines, of course I can fix it."

As you're doing more and more complex stuff I hope you keep a soft spot in your heart for firearms.

BTW, in no way shape or form am I disrespecting gunsmiths. I have the utmost respect for them and what they do. My uncle once told me to go ahead and take the side plate off my DA revolver to see how it works as long as I'd be comfortable in the future with looking at all the little parts instead of shooting. He wasn't far wrong.
Old June 11, 2018, 09:07 PM   #3
dakota.potts

Dale, Thanks for your response.

Aerospace machining is a great and complex field and I am learning a lot. Learning to make parts bigger around than I am on a 5 axis mill and doing near daily set ups has really helped my learning as a machinist.

But at the end of the day, as much pride as I have in the job, it doesn't compare to gunsmithing at all. Everything I learn, I want to apply to gun work. Nothing quickens my heart or excites my soul like the idea of getting to do precision gun work for a living. It's that thought that drives me to work overtime hours to save for my professional future and share my love via my website
Old June 13, 2018, 08:11 PM   #4
MarkGlazer

Congratulations on your accomplishments. The possibilities for your future are endless. Case in point is a transfer agent that I used to work with until he relocated. The guy is a college professor who runs both a transfer service and gunsmithing operation from his garage.

Dave Ramsey is fond of speaking about a guy he knows who loved working on guns. He started out having a hobby and the next thing he knew he was taking in guns from friends, then friends of friends. His hobby became his full time profession out of his shop at home. It's not an easy path but it has great potential. You obviously need the right environment and tools at your disposal as well as good organizational skills and business acumen. You've got plenty of time. I wish you well.
Old June 14, 2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Longhorn1986

Very well written, thought out article. You sound like a young man with a good head on his shoulders.

My "brother from a different mother" is a professional locksmith, who now dabbles in gunsmithing as well. He is able to apply what he's learned in one profession to his (relatively) new interest.

Best of luck to you!