The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2020, 11:12 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A max load for a 243WSSM is not a max load for a 243WSSM AI. It is considered by most to be the starting load. Its not usually enough for a starting load. On the slower powders the max wssm load is not enough powder to be a safe starting load for the AI. Cold weather hang fires.
While I don't doubt this is true, I don't see how it is on topic for this thread, which is Starline rifle brass.
Old September 7, 2020, 12:02 PM   #27
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
While I don't doubt this is true, I don't see how it is on topic for this thread, which is Starline rifle brass.
I started the thread about a load that went massively over pressure when only changing from R.P. and Hornaday to Starline. Then a day or so later I was telling one of my friends about it. He told me it was odd because he almost blew his 243WSSM up using the same powder and we later determined same lot.
Even though I titled thread Starline Brass, it was really about an over pressure ptoblem observed using Starline brass. I now believe the problem was a combination of Starline brass, hot published load data, and a powder lot that seems wildly unforgiving.
Old September 7, 2020, 07:25 PM   #28
Marco Califo

I agree that this thread turned out to have nothing to do with Starline brass, which I personally have confidence in.
Starline may have slightly less case capacity. That is why whenever you change components you start testing at starting loads as standard procedure. Max loads in magnum cartridges is dicey. Don't blame the brass, because you did not work up your load.
I would order Starline 5.56 today, if it was available. And wish they made 300 WM.
Old September 7, 2020, 07:40 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Based on what you've said, I'd say the problem isn't Starline brass alone, but failure to work up to a safe level load with the Starline brass.

Complicated by using someone else's data (derived with different components in a different firearm) at face value, and possibly and "unforgiving" powder choice.
Old September 23, 2020, 04:46 PM   #30
straight-shooter

Only other thing that comes to mind after reading through this thread. Once I had some imperial sizing wax that didn't get wiped off the case. When the bullet was fired the brass couldn't hold to the chamber and resulted in the case trying to back out. End result was a blown primer and a good extractor mark like the op describes. Just a thought....