The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 2, 2020, 05:09 AM   #1
chrisintexas

Smallest gun you can shoot accurately, comfortably

What is the smallest gun in calibers you have that you have been able to shoot comfortably, accurately consistently?
Old July 2, 2020, 05:13 AM   #2
cptjack

22 250
Old July 2, 2020, 06:01 AM   #3
jmr40

I've found several of the small single stack 9mm's to work quite well for me. Sig 365, Glock 43, and the Ruger LC9s in particular. Of the 3 I have a slight preference for the Sig, but I shoot them all well enough at 10-15 yards.

AT 25-50 yards then a bigger gun starts to be an advantage for me.

Winston Churchill
Old July 2, 2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Nathan

CW380. I can shoot it fast and accurately. A timer and target tell me so.
Old July 2, 2020, 07:35 AM   #5
jar

Smallest would be my Baby Browning. I have one that's even smaller but the safety is a swipe up for fire mode and somewhat awkward.

the Baby Browning:

the Walther model 9:

Old July 2, 2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Double K

J frame Smith's, my wife has a 431pd which is 32 H&R magnum, very accurate and mild.
Old July 2, 2020, 08:09 AM   #7
PSP

I learned to shoot my Seecamp pretty accurately even though it has no sights.

The Walther TPH was easy to shoot well. Small but usable sights and nice trigger. The .25 cal. had noticeably more recoil than the .22lr.

The Beretta Pico has nice sights, easy recoil but one must accustom to the very narrow grip. Quite accurate.
Old July 2, 2020, 08:18 AM   #8
Blue Duck

It depends on the definition of accurate. Actually, some of the little 25 autos can be shot pretty good. I find that I am not that confident with anything much smaller then a Smith and Wesson Shield as a primary weapon, but I have a little Colt ,380 Pocket lite that I can shoot pretty good.

I usually carry bigger weapons, but sometimes, as opposed to carrying nothing, I will carry one or two of those North American mini revolvers in .22 mag, and those I find a little more challenging to shoot accurately, and mostly use a point shoot method. However, they can still be very deadly at 3 or 4 yards at least, maybe even farther, but they would still be my last choice, of the guns I have.
Old July 2, 2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Bozz10mm

I have Shields in 45 ACP and 9mm. I can shoot them comfortably, consistently and fairly accurately, but I wouldn't want anything smaller.
Old July 2, 2020, 09:25 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

The smallest?,,,

The smallest?,,,

That would have to be my Taurus 22-PLY and 25-PLY,,,
Chambered for .22 LR and .25 ACP

Many of you guys are probably tired of this image,,,
But I'm posting it again so others can see what I'm talking about.

These little shooters are so danged ergonomic,,,
That they naturally point where I want the bullet to go.

Shooting slow I have no problem hitting a 10" paper plate at 25 yards,,,
At 7 yards (Tueller distance) they shoot a nice 3" group.

A sharpshooter friend of mine,,,
Holds a much smaller group at 7 yards.

The only thing I had to do was paint the front sight white,,,
The original matte black was a bit hard to see.

So, these two are the smallest guns I own,,,
That I can actually hit something with.

Next would be my Ruger LCP,,,
I practice with it enough that I shoot apple sized groups at 7 yards.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 2, 2020, 06:16 PM   #11
10-96

For me, it would be my Sig P238.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 2, 2020, 06:55 PM   #12
Cosmodragoon

I've messed around with really small guns. The smallest gun that I can shoot well and comfortably with reasonably powerful ammo is the Ruger LCR. It pocket-carries better than the small polymer-framed 9mm guns due to the shape. The cushy grip and decent stock trigger helps too.

Of course, I'm not talking about .357 magnum or heavy loads in .327 Federal here. The sweet spot for the LCR is .38 +p and the 85-grain loads in .327 Federal.
Old July 2, 2020, 08:07 PM   #13
Forte S+W

That would be my Ruger LCP.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...3&d=1593643201

Now I know that some folks will be along to argue that the LCP isn't comfortable to shoot, but I can honestly say that I've shot worse, that I can/have shot over 50 rounds through my LCP on a single trip without requiring a trip to the Emergency Room, and that I don't feel the need for my carry guns to be soft-shooting, nor accurate enough for long-range competition shooting out to 200 yards, or whatever other superfluous expectations folks place upon their carry guns which often comes at the expense of efficiency.

As long as I can shoot it accurately, it won't injure me to train with it or break my wrist when I have to shoot it in a hurry, and that it will stop an attacker so long as I do my part, then that's all the comfort that I need. Yes, there are guns which are more comfortable to shoot, but that comes at the expense of either effectiveness by downgrading to a less powerful cartridge or ease of carry because the gun is bigger or heavier which serves to distribute the recoil over a wider area and/or dampen it. To me, the ability to absolutely carry the LCP with me absolutely anywhere, in virtually any attire at all the time is far more comforting than the relative comfort at the range.
There's a time and place for fun at the range and a limit to the amount of time once can spend at the range which tangibly quantifies as legitimate training as opposed to just having a leisurely afternoon at the range shooting stationary or otherwise predictably moving targets and pretending that it is somehow adequately preparing you for an actual attack or gunfight that can occur at any given time of day.
Old July 2, 2020, 11:00 PM   #14
Ingramite

.22 Magnum Pop Gun

How about a North American Arms Pug?

I only kept it for a short time before I traded it away. A little 5 round single action revolver. Mine even had a laser sight on it!

I know folks love them but I couldn't in good conscience recommend one. It was a novelty for me. Something I had always wondered about, now I know. It was a very well built little revolver. Loading and unloading was not exactly speedy or something you would want to attempt under stress.
Old July 3, 2020, 01:15 AM   #15
ms6852

My Springfield 911
Old July 3, 2020, 01:19 AM   #16
Cheapshooter

No problem with getting acceptable accuracy from my LCP, Taurus 22Poly, or Kel-Tec P32. But I haven't mastered the are of accuratly shooting my NAA 22 Short Mini Revolver.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 3, 2020, 02:22 AM   #17
peacefulgary

Ruger LCP with Hogue grip.
Old July 3, 2020, 05:11 AM   #18
jman841

My Ruger LCP 2 with the Hogue Grip does decent at 10 yards.

Here's groups at 10 yards from the range yesterday. Top is my Glock 19, bottom left is a Sig P365 (Rented it to try it out) and bottom right is my LCP 2.

I clearly shoot the Glock much better than the other two, but I have a lot more trigger time on it and it's def much more comfortable to shoot.

With that said, I think my polished Gen 4 Glock 19 trigger has a nicer wall, break, and reset than the Sig. The Sig has a much cleaner take-up, but I could care less about take up as I pull the take up prior to the shot.

Old July 3, 2020, 08:11 AM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintexas View Post
What is the smallest gun in calibers you have that you have been able to shoot comfortably, accurately consistently?
.38 snub with a larger grip.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 3, 2020, 10:18 AM   #20
Eddiejoe

I tried the Ruger LCR in .38 Special, but it hurt too much to shoot. I switched to the Sig P365 and that is very accurate and the recoil much more manageable.
Old July 3, 2020, 10:35 AM   #21
Ricklin

Keltec P11

The width of the Keltec makes for a soft shooter.

I force myself to put a magazines worth of rounds through my LCP every range session.
I'll be the first to admit that after the last round it does not get another at the range.
Old July 3, 2020, 11:31 AM   #22
kenny53

I will have to say my LCP. Not fun to shoot but I can hang on to it and it makes holes close to where I point it.
Old July 3, 2020, 01:24 PM   #23
triplebike

My Ruger EC9S. Very comfortable to shoot and quite accurate. Very easy to conceal and extremely reliable.
Old July 3, 2020, 04:25 PM   #24
jetinteriorguy

My Lc9s with a rubber grip sleeve. Very accurate, easy to carry, and ultra reliable.
Old July 3, 2020, 04:57 PM   #25
Dufus

The smallest I have shot proficiently with is my Colt M1908.