The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 17, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
mchljrdn

AR-15 Buy vs Build

What's the consensus on buy vs build these days? Are you able to get more "bang for your buck" buying a Mossberg MMR or putting one together? Which of the pre-built AR (<1k USD) are the favorites?
Old December 17, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
djcantr

I would build so you can have it exactly like you want it and know that quality parts were used. Mossberg doesn't list detailed specs of the parts so I would assume they are inferior. If there was no wiggle room on the <$1k for a complete rifle I'd probably buy a PSA.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Quentin2

I like to select the parts going into my ARs so "build" the lower receiver with the LPK, receiver extension, buffer and stock of my choice. I haven't had any problems finding exactly the components I want in an upper from BCM, Daniel Defense and PSA so bought them complete. In the end you do save money over a factory AR because you're not stripping off inferior parts and replacing.

djcantr gave you good advice, you can get an excellent deal from PSA and expect their parts to be much better than many better known companies that don't use the best parts. For example, PSA uses true milspec barrels made by FN and who knows what Mossberg does.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
BillyJack3

Mossberb MMR doesn't even come up in conversation. There are a lot of reputable manufacturers that have proven ARs that you can buy complete. You can also build your own or partially build your own. Or, you can simply choose your lower and upper and snap them together. All depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I purchased my first AR complete, learned the platform and when it was time for number 2, had a real life blueprint to help guide me through building the second where pictures still left questions unanswered. PSA, S&W, DD, Colt, Rock River, Windham, Stag.... Stick with brands that know the platform.

If you decide to build, make sure you can source all partners. Seems to be a big run on BCGs. Can't find them in stock for more than 20 minutes in most places.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Mobuck

Many AR parts are sold out, back ordered, or just gone. I wouldn't be too picky if you do find the parts to complete your project.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:00 AM   #6
chris in va

If you see a Colt Patrol model at WalMart for $899, don't hesitate. That's all I have at the moment.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I would build so you can have it exactly like you want it and know that quality parts were used. Mossberg doesn't list detailed specs of the parts so I would assume they are inferior. If there was no wiggle room on the <$1k for a complete rifle I'd probably buy a PSA.
Completely agree. I'm currently building my own so i'm a bit biased, but i think building is a better option as you figure out exactly what you want in your gun(not to mention it's easier on the bank account to spend the money bit by bit, as opposed to all at one time). If you want to go the Pre-built route, i would vote for PSA as well. They are a bottom dollar price, but exellent quality product. Many of the parts for my gun are from PSA. One small caveat is it WILL take them a while to get the gun to you. They are a small company and currently slammed with orders, so it will take them a few weeks to get it out.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:23 PM   #8
droptrd

for under 1K id build. Thats what i do now. Also, im a diehard mossberg guy. but Im not impressed with their AR. A descent lower and parts kit = $160. A tube and stock = $150. Id just go with a complete upper. $300 and up.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Auto426

If you've never had an AR before, Then it may be best to simply buy one to learn on. It's simpler to play around and disassemble one that someone else already built and learn what's what. You will also have a warranty to rely on if something goes wrong with the gun, and won't be stuck diagnosing the problem and fixing it yourself.

That being said, since I bought my first AR, I would probably do a build for my next rifle. Most likely start with a stripped lower, build it out, and then buy a complete upper. After playing around with my first AR, I now have a pretty good idea where all the parts go and how they fit/work together, making a build that much more simpler.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
doofus47

building is easy. and cheap(er)
Old December 19, 2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Coltman 77

Quote:
Many AR parts are sold out, back ordered, or just gone. I wouldn't be too picky if you do find the parts to complete your project.
This is sad but true.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 19, 2012, 05:20 PM   #12
JimDandy

If you want one, and you want one right now, I'd buy. If you're worried about a new law, I'd buy, and buy now. IF you're willing to wait it out and see what happens, I'd plan on if my first, buying, if a subsequent, building.