The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
physikal

Kimber Custom II 1911?

So I just purchased a Kimber Custom II 1911 used for 550 from a friend of a friend.

I am waiting for that friend to deliver. While I wait, I am very impatient, so I started reading up on them. Probably something I should have done beforehand.

I find some forums where people talk about how much they hate them, then some forums where people love them.

I trust these forums the most and have not read anything about them on here. yet.

What is your guys' opinion of Kimber Custom II's or just Kimber in general? Did I go wrong with this purchase? Should I dump it asap and go with something else?

Thanks!
Old June 24, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2
ostrobothnian

Does the pistol have the internal or external extractor? Some of the older external extractor pistols had issues.

Don't listen to the Kimber bashing armchair commandos. At that price it sounds like you made a good decision.

This one will never be sold.

Old June 24, 2010, 11:47 AM   #3
physikal

Ya I just saw that one on another post. That's a very nice looking gun.

I figured the bashing is just like the whole red vs blue regarding reloading presses. Everyone has their opinion heh.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Baphomet

Kimber had some issues in the past with the external extractor. They tried it, it failed and they've long since gone back to an internal extractor. The whole external extractor issue is dead but people love to rehash it ad infinitum.

I can tell you that when I was researching buying a new 1911, about a year ago, I called all three of my local indoor ranges and asked the RM's there, which of their rental pistols seemed the most popular with shooters and had the most reliable track record. All three told me their Kimbers were the least troublesome. One of these ranges IS a Kimber "Master Dealer" the other two are not. Popularity with shooters was all over the board. For me it came down to a Springfield Trophy Match or the Kimber Team Match. Due to some very tiny, personal preference, nit-picky "wins" the Kimber came home with me and it's been 100% since day one.

Talk to actual Kimber OWNERS and you'll hear the same story: Kimber makes one damn fine 1911. Are there better? Sure. Does the occasional lemon slip past their doors? Of course. It's an imperfect world we live in and no manufacturer is immune to the occasional blunder. Long story short... For their price point, Kimbers rock. My Team Match is as tight and smooth as the day is long and more accurate than I am by a fair stretch.

The Custom II is a finely made, all business sort of 1911. Relax and enjoy your new pistol. You've made a fine choice.

Last edited by Baphomet; June 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:21 PM   #5
LarryFlew

It is usually the II's that have had problems like failure to eject (have one of them right now myself) but they stand behind their product and in general it is a fine product line.

My problem child is the Ultra II Crimson Trace. I have little doubt they will take care of the problem if I can't do it myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimber1.jpg (65.5 KB, 51 views)
Old June 24, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
scsov509

As far as other 1911's go, $550 would put you looking at RIA, Springfield GI, or another Armscor product. For the money, the Kimber is a much better pistol IMO. The worst case scenario is that you need a little TLC to get it functioning flawless, which doesn't make it too much different from any 1911 on the market. Don't worry about what you read on forums. You'll be happy.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:40 PM   #7
jmr40

I have had the same gun for 6-7 years with no problems whatsoever. At that price you did great. This is Kimbers most basic gun, and the model that seems to be the most reliable based on internet postings I've read.
Old June 24, 2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I wouldn't sweat it either. For the price you paid, if the gun is in good shape I think you got an excellent deal. Once you take ownership, go put some rounds through it and you'll likely be very happy with it.
Old June 24, 2010, 03:54 PM   #9
coolbreezy

Got my kimber stainless II for 500, and the gun is flawless and I couldn't be happier with it. I had a issue with a range rental kimber II (FTF), buts the range told me gun had tens of thousands of rounds through it and it would have issues here and there.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old June 24, 2010, 04:02 PM   #10
riggins_83

I own a couple Custom II's (all internal extractor), love them all.
Old June 24, 2010, 04:05 PM   #11
dgludwig

You need to shoot it before you love it (or hate it) and certainly before you take anybody's word as to how good (or bad) it is.
Let us know how you fare at the range. I think you'll be happy that you got your new (to you) Kimber and you certainly paid a better than fair price for it.
Old June 24, 2010, 04:48 PM   #12
M&P40

I own four Kimbers and would trust my life to any of the four. Never any issues other than finding more time to enjoy them. Go enjoy your new gun!
Old June 24, 2010, 10:15 PM   #13
railroader

This is my kimber custom 1 that I just put new grips on. It still runs great after 10 years and it would be my last handgun I would sell. Mark

Last edited by railroader; June 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old June 24, 2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Stevie-Ray

I trust my life to a Kimber every day, an Ultra CDP II. And though it's not the same model as yours, you got yours a hell of a lot cheaper. Hopefully, you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Old June 25, 2010, 12:25 AM   #15
ragwd

I have a custom 2, at least 3000 rounds down the tube. Great trigger. Nice price, sounds like a good deal.
Old June 25, 2010, 09:07 AM   #16
Rinspeed

Both the Kimbers I own have run 100% since day one. I do only use top notch mags, same as with my other 1911s.
Old June 25, 2010, 09:40 AM   #17
beltjones

The problem with asking these sorts of questions is that so few people have a valid opinion.

You'll hear someone mention how reliable their pistol is, but they won't mention that it only has 200 rounds down the pipe.

Or someone else will mention that their pistol is crap, but they won't mention that they have 10,000 rounds through it with the original springs and extractor.

Someone else will mention that the fit and finish is the best they've ever seen, but they'll neglect to tell you that it's their first pistol.

For $550 you got a great deal on a servicable pistol that is infinitely upgradable.

If the gun gives you any trouble, document exactly what happens and take pictures if possible. Then research the cause of the problem before you blame the gun - many times 1911's fail because of magazine issues.

Some Kimber-specific issues to keep in mind is that they have carbon steel barrels that aren't treated to prevent rust, so keep an eye on your barrel and make sure it's stored oiled and in a dry place. Do some research into extractor tension, and test your extractor. It's easy to adjust the tension if you do a little homework. Finally, 1911's have maintenance schedules you need to adhere to. Do some research into how often you need to replace springs and extractors - this is probably the best way to avoid problems before they start.

Finally, shoot it! And have fun!
Old June 25, 2010, 10:43 AM   #18
TacticalDefense1911

I have a Kimber Custom II that has about 6000-7000 rounds or so through it. It is extremely accurate, has a great trigger and is dead nuts reliable with all types of ammunition even though it is the feared external extractor version. The most important thing that you need to know about a Kimber is to find a magazine that works with them. I've found that they are very magazine sensative. I've had very, very good luck with Tripp Research Cobra magazines. The only cheap magazine that I found that works with them is the stock Kimber 7-round mags with the dimple on the follower. For the nice price you got yours at I think that you will be very happy with your new toy.
Old June 25, 2010, 11:09 AM   #19
Slamfire

I wore out two hammers, sear surfaces wore, on this Kimber Custom Classic. Otherwise it is been 100% reliable.

When I took it up to the Marine Armorers at Camp Perry, to get the trigger pull adjusted and the short GI trigger installed. (I have short fingers) They told me to replace the original MIM internal sear with a forged one as they felt any trigger surfaces they honed on the original MIM sear would just rub off.

So I walked to Springfield Armory's shop on commerical row, bought the forged part, they installed and tuned the trigger, and life has been good.

Kimber has made over 100,000 M1911's. There are sure to be a few complaints.

But I have never seen any Kimber issues as bad as the workmanship on this Colt barrel.

This factory barrel came on a Colt Target Master. The barrel is ringed where they milled a locking lug groove.

Old June 27, 2010, 09:57 AM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
The most important thing that you need to know about a Kimber is to find a magazine that works with them. I've found that they are very magazine sensative
And why would that be, do you suppose? That is, why would a Kimber be any more "magazine sensitive" than any other 1911 pistol, whether they be cheap or expensive or anywhere in-between?
Old June 27, 2010, 01:37 PM   #21
longeyes

I've had a Kimber Custom II for eight years now, with over six thousand rounds through it. It's without doubt the most accurate pistol I own. I had some jam problems with it until I decided to use only Wilson magazines. That has seemed to eliminate the malf issue. At this juncture, all considered, I'd considered it a very good handgun; it's definitely one of my HD weapons.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson