The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 19, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Tayta_Mayne

break in last night.

I went to bed last night at 12 am. At around 2 am I got up to get a snack. I heard someone reving up a car and looked outside to see what was going on. I started to ealk outside to see if they needed help or if the wanted to use my phone. Well before I could get outside the guy sdtarts walking down the stree, walks behing my van and dosnt come out the other side. I knew what was going on rite then. I opened the dorr and yelled " Hey, what do you think your doing?!? ". The guy takes a step back and looks at me and then steps towards me like he wanted to attack me. I ran out to the middle of the yard and told him he had better run now. He took my advice and started running down the street. I almost went after him but I decided that could get ugly. Come to find out the truck he was in at first was stolen from sown the street. The owner was a retired sherriff. He had been working on the truck, it had no radiator. Haha. So what would you guys have done if this had happened to you? Oh by the way he tried to peel my lock but I topped him after he put two puncture holes above and below the lock, it still works. I am staying up and waiting for him to retaliate. I filed a police report last night too.
Old November 19, 2006, 08:42 PM   #2
kc-griz

You got lucky. I would NOT have run out to the middle of the yard. You didn't know if he was armed or combative or both. Your best move would have been to phone the police immediately before confronting the BG. It's possible the police would have been able to apprehend one or both perps.

Years ago, I caught 2 kids scoping out cars in my apt complex parking lot at 3am. One appeared to be holding a baseball bat I assumed to be used to break the glass of the car they were going to either steal or vandalize. I yelled out the same thing you did. The kid with the baseball bat looked at me, raise the bat and made a motion that resulted in an all to familiar sound that made me about *hit my pants right there. It was a very short pump 12ga. Suddenly feeling very vulnerable, I dove for the bushes for concealment and that's the last I saw of them. I was very lucky that night too and learned a very valuable lesson.
Old November 19, 2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Blackwater OPS

Yeah, I think I've said it before, I can protect me and mine best from the inside. Nothing outside is worth your life. Call 911 and let them deal with it, they get paid for the trouble and have less liability in a lawsuit.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 19, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
marlboroman84

Yea bad move to run outside. Yell at him from the front door or something while calling the cops, but a car isn't worth getting shot over. Glad you're ok though.
Old November 19, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5
cloudcroft

I agree, bad move running outside, but not because you went out but because you went out WITHOUT a damn gun...you MUST ASSUME the people are armed. Why would you bring nothing to a gunfight?

Run outside if that's your style (it is mine, and I've done it several times) and protect your property...but have the tools needed to deal with things once you get out there...be prepared to engage and destroy.

-- John D.
Old November 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Pucker

I had some punks F'n with my truck a couple weeks ago. The alarm makes the keychain beep when it's going off so I went out with a .45 and a flashlight. They hadn't stolen anything but if they had, it wouldn't have been the first time. I will not allow a second.
Old November 19, 2006, 11:12 PM   #7
Hardtarget

In Oct,2004, punks broke into my truck. Its a F-150 Supercab. They broke the window of the driver side rear door. They carefully popped the surround and stole the radio. Ever priced that little window? Ford LOVES those windows! Try $700. If I get the chance, the next bunch will not be happy with the way their night finishes! I will go out...
Mark. Been two years and I still get mad.
Old November 19, 2006, 11:34 PM   #8
BerettaCougar

Quote:
I had some punks F'n with my truck a couple weeks ago. The alarm makes the keychain beep when it's going off so I went out with a .45 and a flashlight. They hadn't stolen anything but if they had, it wouldn't have been the first time. I will not allow a second.
So you would shoot someone over a stolen radio or broken car window?

Why do the mods let crap like this exist? :barf:
So snappy to close a off topic thread but let garbage like this ride.
Old November 19, 2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Pucker

Couger, build a bridge and get over it. What do you suggest, responding with mace? Let some degenerate disrupt your peace and see how you feel.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:16 AM   #10
BerettaCougar

If I ever (which I pray I never have to) use a firearm on another human, it will be in SELF defense... or in defense of another person that I know 100% is in danger.

If you live in the 'hood and you drive a car worth two nickels maybe it's time you relocate.

I'm not against citizens arrest, but come on...shooting some kid who wants to take your radio? Call the damn police... Too many keyboard commandos I tell ya.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:20 AM   #11
Blackwater OPS

What I think is funny is that people post on here their plans to commit 2nd degree murder. If you do shoot them, don't you think the prosecuter will find this? (unless you live in Texas, then shoot away )
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old November 20, 2006, 12:27 AM   #12
cloudcroft

I agree: It's up to the good-guy who is involved in the crime to decide how to react...or not. It's his/her call. Don't second-guess him/her.

Do what YOU want, that's your business, but also let others do as they want.

It's a "Criminals' Lottery" of sorts: They pick the wrong people to assault/rob and they die...probably with a bug-eyed look of shock on their face. They pick other more "humane" people to assault/rob and they live to tell about it, and are able to do it again to someone else.

Keeps them guessing, doesn't it.

As I said, contrary to ignorant but popular belief, criminals' lives aren't worth jack. Good riddance.

The moral of the story is, "Don't mess with people...they can give you back whatever THEY want, "excessive" or not, it's their call."

You start it, they finish it, however they want.

-- John D.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:29 AM   #13
Blackwater OPS

I have a quote as well...

TFL Members are ambassadors to the world for firearm owners. What kind of ambassador does your post make you?

--Capt Charlie
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old November 20, 2006, 12:33 AM   #14
BerettaCougar

Quote:
What do you suggest, responding with mace?
Actually that would not be a bad idea, or maybe a whistle or air horn, wake up the neighbors (these low lives do not like the attention), calls the cops, keep the gun in the holster until your life is on the line.

Complain to your local govt. Try to get the community to ask for more police patrols? more lights on the roads, build a fence around your house, RELOCATE, all are possible answers that may keep someone from dying and you out of prison for the next 20 years for murder.

People like you do not help the movement, and if it were my forum you would of been silenced a long time ago.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:51 AM   #15
Tayta_Mayne

Here is the thing, When i stuck my head out and yelled out at first i thought he was already in the process of peeling the column. So my reaction was get him out of the van. It just so happened that I stopped him from poppeing my lock though. I got a good clear look at him, I dont live in a nice big house with a nice big lawn like some of you do. My lawn is 15' so I knew he was un-armed. He threw his screwdriver down as if to say " Dont shoot I'm un-armed! ". Only then did I even fully oppen my door, and only once he made a move towards my house did I advance. I'm not going to let some wacko get me and get inside my house. You guys can say keyboard cammondo as much as you want. But until you've had thousands of dollars stole from you and then catch someone in the process of stealing thousands more with only maybe 2 seconds to respond before they peel out in your car while giving you the finger I'd suggest you really think about what you would do. i posted this so all of you might think about it incase if anything happens to you like this. I would have reacted differently if I knew what was happening. But as i stated before I got up to get a snack, and i dont carry a pistol on me on my way to my kitchen. By the way the cops truck that the guy left out front of my house stated rite in front of two other cops if he would of had a chance he would have let the undertaker decide on how to treat this guy.

Now let me clear this up. It was one guy. I got a good look at him after getting him to stop what he was doing. He was un-armed. Only then did I advance 5 feet off of my porch, after shutting my loved ones inside the house. You do not always need a gun. This guy looked like he thought he was about to die when I advanced. Then I yealled " You better f#@$ing run rite now! ", which he did. I did not give chase. I let him go. The funny thing is all of this happened while I had a mouthfull of frosted cookie, pink frosted cookie in hand! All I needed to run this guy off was an intimadating yell and a cookie. You just have to use your head. If he would have pulled a weapon I would have locked him out darted to the hall and grabbed my 12 gauge. And remember this all happened within a 15 second time span. If I would have waited 5 more seconds to yell he would have been in my van and starting it up. I am glad that I stopped him when I did.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:55 AM   #16
Tayta_Mayne

Couger, I yelled loud and I yelled the whole time I was outside. No one so much as looked outside. not everyone lives in a good area. And I honestly take that type of response in a condesending way. I do not have the money to just pick up and move. Also there is not enough time to do all that. I was un-armed completely. No mace no whistle. And i still stopped him. Just think about the average joe who dosnt have a lot of things in life. If that van got stolen and crashed I would be out so much that I would be feeling its loss for years to come.

Also crime is every where man. Not just in the "hood".
Old November 20, 2006, 01:23 AM   #17
BerettaCougar

tayta, most of my comments were not geared towards you.
For the most part they were aimed at some of these buffoons.

You acted more or less the way I probably would of.

When i'm home I usually am not packing, but never too far away. from a gun.
12 gauge in the bedroom with 8 slugs, and always atleast one handgun loaded either on me or near me.

Please do not take my comments as insults whatsoever... I know a stolen auto is a huge problem but you will live on, and you will more than likely stay out of prison for killing a person the media will more than likely try to portray as a victim of society and you know all the other crap that comes with that.

Not only the legal issues, think about the emotions involved, I don't know about you but killing someone would devastate me if it was over a damned radio!!!!

I know society owes nothing to these scumbags, and you sure as hell owe them nothing, you worked for yours and from what I gather your a family man, which means you're working for a family. We are humans, all of us, even the slug that is breaking in your car. In recent times I bought an air horn it's louder than hell... a lot louder than a human scream, I keep it right next to the door... incase I fall victim to the same.

I know you mean nothing but good in your post.
Old November 20, 2006, 01:29 AM   #18
BerettaCougar

http://safetycentral.com/911pesasiair.html

This air horn is sort of like the one I have.

IT IS LOUD!

The one I linked you to has a smaller can than mine, so the sound may not last as long.
Back when I tested mine it lasted for about 35 seconds (had it blasting into a pillow) you can hear it start loose power after about 20 seconds.
Old November 20, 2006, 01:40 AM   #19
Tayta_Mayne

Thank you Couger. I just get defenseve over my area. I love this town, but it is going downhill. I also feel if i move, I've let them win. I do plan on moving to Florida soon though, but for other reasons. But really, you are using this post in a good manner. It seems as though you have thought about this type of problem before. I never let it escape my head that it could happen, or worse. My guns were within 12 feet. But I had so many thoughts in my head at the time, " wake everyone up, grab a gun, yell at him, run out there, call the police, get other peoples attention, ect. ect. ". But the truth is i did what felt natural. If I would have waited any longer he would have been in my van. He already punctured the metal arround the lock and was about to pop it out when I yelled. It is an older chevy so within 3 seconds of being inside he would have been gone. And truth be told I thought he was inside the van when I first yelled. So imagine the call to 911, " Umm yeah theres this guy in my van on the street, ok so hes down the street now, oh nevermind he's gone now". And this doubles as my work van too. Ladders paint supplies some christmas gifts, oh and two little giant ladder systems. Those little giants are expensive too. I know its material, but that my lively hood. I'm glad it worked out the way it did though. I just have two holes in my door now.
Old November 20, 2006, 02:04 AM   #20
skeeter1

True words

Quote:
Yeah, I think I've said it before, I can protect me and mine best from the inside. Nothing outside is worth your life. Call 911 and let them deal with it, they get paid for the trouble and have less liability in a lawsuit.
For whatever reason, in my neighborhood, many people have their garages so full of crap that there's no room for a car inside. I thought that's what a garage was for. Silly me. My car goes in the garage every night.

As for going outside after a BG, not me. That's what a call to 911 is for. Break into my house, and the rules change entirely.
Old November 20, 2006, 02:12 AM   #21
Pucker

I said I would not allow my truck to be broken into again. I never said I would murder a punk in cold blood.

Last edited by Pucker; November 20, 2006 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Not raising the bar...
Old November 20, 2006, 03:40 AM   #22
Axion

Quote:
People like you do not help the movement, and if it were my forum you would of been silenced a long time ago.
I agree. People talking about how they would shoot someone for trying to steal their car only lends credibility to the anti-guns.
Old November 20, 2006, 06:16 AM   #23
Edison Carter

When you draw down on a punk and he stupidly raises a tire iron and advances on you.... how is it again you explain to the police and DA that you were SAFE in your house, and and you deliberately put yourself in the position where you had to shoot him?

Second degree murder, I think.

I won't cry for him.... I won't cry for YOU, either.

EC
Old November 20, 2006, 08:55 AM   #24
Daves-got-guns

i had a missed-incident thats in the same catagory as this alooong time ago. I was 18 and i had a friend who was a girl, 16 down the street and she had her little sisters there too. It was 4 in the morning and her mom knows how to pick a b/f, bar-hopping type. Well she tried to call my cell to get me down there to save her ass cauuse this winner-in-life was tryin to break into the house and she didnt know if he was high on drugs or just wanted to case the place since he had already stolen her 13 year old sisters coin collection worth like 500 bones i beleive. I didnt get the call, and i didnt have buckshot for my shotgun, so i bought 10 rounds just in case he decides to come back. Idk what i would have done if it woulda came down to me confronting him but i think the laws more leaneant to people who have to use leathal force on a bg like this. I wouldnt want to shoot somebody but the barrel of a 12 is a pretty damn good detorant if the shtf. Also a few weeks later he met up with some of the moms "friends" and the put him in the hospital about a block away from their house, so 2 blocks away from mine in a local church parking lot i beleive, guess sometimes crime don't pay afterall!
Old November 20, 2006, 09:21 AM   #25
Daves-got-guns

thats also another big point for justifying lethal force, drugs. Thats one thing nobodys really tooken into account here, seeing that alot of malicious people are high on some sort of substance and you don't know what their gonna do. Also i understand why these fellars get riled up, and their trigger fingers get "itchy", you might feel somebody has done you wrong, or just doesn't have respect for you and your well-being and i've felt that way, but it still doesnt justify laying lead into somebody. Maybe they don't respect your right to co-exist, but so what? this country isnt exactly free and alotta times the victims do become the criminals, so you might as well just let it go, take your rage out on the gun range on the bg target, it'll help.