The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How many magazines do you carry?
only the magazine in the carry pistol 41 36.28%
the magazine in the pistol and only one extra 55 48.67%
more than one extra magazine 17 15.04%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27, 2020, 04:54 PM   #26
Eddiejoe

I used to carry just what was in the EDC (SIG P365) - usually 12+1.
I have changed to at least the 15-round as the extra and sometimes a third.
Old July 27, 2020, 06:31 PM   #27
Aikibiker

At work I carry two spare magazines. Onmyown time I carry one spare mag and occasionally add pepper spray, a black jack, or fixed blade knife depending on where I am going and the "mood" of the area.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old July 27, 2020, 07:54 PM   #28
HighValleyRanch

Hmmm, only post 21 cites magazine failures as a good reason for carrying a spare (I agree) but the majority cite threat and capacity as the major reason. Just an surprising observation so far.

I would have thought more people worried about magazines failing or needing an extra magazine in case of malfunctions. Not everything is tap and rack with the existing magazine.
Old July 28, 2020, 02:47 AM   #29
Ignition Override

Right now, just the mag inside a handgun.

If the November election goes a "certain way" I will Then keep a very small German leather pouch on my belt with a second mag: for the P6, P99 or CZ 'PCR'.

Luckily the Memphis area was quiet after the election in 2016.
Old July 28, 2020, 03:36 AM   #30
Brit

The beauty of carrying a Glock 19, is the capacity with the 15 round flush-fitting magazine is 16 rounds, a decent amount, the Glock 17 round magazine, as a spare, gives you a total round count of 37 rounds, a lot!
And the mag change does not pinch your hand, as a 15 round magazine tends to do. On me anyhow.
Old July 28, 2020, 08:53 AM   #31
pete2

I carry a 642 revolver, only the 5 rounds in the gun. With all that's going on right now I'm thinking about something that holds 15 rounds, maybe an M&P with a safety.
Old July 28, 2020, 09:01 AM   #32
lee n. field

Quote:
1. Only the magazine in the pistol
2. One extra magazine
3. More than one extra magazine

(I should have allowed multiple choices as for many people it vary on the situation and day to day, but guess at your regular habit)
Voted 1 + 1, but sometimes will throw a third into a pocket, times being what they are. It's just a single stack subcompact 9mm after all.

7+1, plus 9, plus possibly a spare 8 rounder in the pocket.

Magazine malfunctions, I suppose, are a consideration. And, yes, I know the statistics say it's extremely unlikly one will need to reload because you ran out.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 28, 2020, 09:32 AM   #33
HighValleyRanch

Pete2,
If I'm carry my revolver, I carry a speedloader and 8 round speed strip in a pouch I made that fits into my rear pocket. So 5 round revolver gets 5+5+8=18 rounds total. A 6 round revolver gets 6+6+8 for 20.
So a revolver doesn't really get less overall capacity, just loaded capacity.
And it's much easier to carry speed strips than magazines.
Old July 28, 2020, 11:32 AM   #34
fastbolt

When I was working in my plainclothes assignment, we were required to carry at least one spare magazine. Didn't matter if you carried an issued double or single stack duty weapon. (I carried an issued single stack .45 toward the end of my career, which used 7rd mags.) There were times when I was working I was working in some of the more "active" areas, or on a warrant detail, when I'd carry a couple spares.

Nowadays, in my retirement, I typically carry one spare mag, except when I pocket-holster one of my LCP's. I don't often carry a spare LCP mag. Why? A couple reasons. First, the really small LCP is not easy to manipulate at speed to reload, including inserting & seating the mag in the really short grip. The slide not locking back on an empty mag doesn't help. Second, the LCP is what I carry when I don't anticipate the need to be armed.

Now, for road trips when I'm going to be away from home for some time, I often carry additional spare mags (and spare boxed ammunition). Might be 1-3 "extra" spares ... or, some years ago, while on a motorcycle trip through some remote places, I carried something like a dozen spare mags for the only full-size double stack pistol I own.

Depends.
Old July 28, 2020, 11:47 AM   #35
Drm50

I am curious about the weapons and ammo carried by people. I only carry a gun where there could possibly be trouble. If I feel there is trouble I wouldn’t go near it. I realize in today’s world stupid stuff can happen anywhere any time. I’m not running around fearing for my life nor am I stupid enough to go into potentially dangerous situations. Whatever I’m in it’s not going to be an extended battle so what’s in gun is all I need. I may be spoiled by living in a place that has almost no crime and goes years without violent crime. The only time I was worried was back several years when we had Dillion the sniper killing people who were hunting and fishing in our area. Almost no way to combat that. Most all major problems are a product of the cities and a certain group of people.
Old July 28, 2020, 12:00 PM   #36
Mike38

Quote:
I only carry what's in the gun, but usually have one extra in the car. If I was expecting trouble I'd carry more.
Avoiding the situation would be wiser than carrying more magazines, in my opinion.

I carry one in the pistol, right pocket, one extra mag in left pocket. that's 15 rounds total. Plenty for me to get the heck out of the area. I'm old but I bet I could surprise myself at how fast I could run if needed.
Old July 28, 2020, 12:36 PM   #37
Screwball

I usually carry at least one extra magazine...

Currently carry my 9mm 642-1. Five in the gun, and either two or three extra moonclips.
Old July 28, 2020, 01:21 PM   #38
CDW4ME

Glock 19/23/32 + 1 spare magazine, regardless of location.
Spare mag is useful in event of malfunction, not just extra bullets.
Nowhere would I prefer to defend myself with a pocket 380/38 snub than a Glock 19/23/32 and I carry accordingly.

Old July 28, 2020, 03:28 PM   #39
Sharkbite

I fall into the +1 camp. The second mag is more for malfunctions/problem solving then extra ammo loadout.

Clint Smith has a good story about catching the baseplate of his pistol on something as he got out of his patrol car. The baseplate ripped off and the spring and ammo vomited out of the holstered gun.

He simply pushed the mag release button ejecting the mag body and inserted a new mag....problem solved.

Without a spare mag, he would have had the worlds most unhandy single shot pistol
Old July 28, 2020, 09:45 PM   #40
BourbonCowboy

I usually carry only the VP9sk with a 13-round mag. However, if I'm driving, I always put the gun rug in my truck's center console. The rug holds an additional 5 mags. I'm reasonably sure I will never need this much ammo, but it's a convenient travel package.
Old July 28, 2020, 10:09 PM   #41
kenny53

Most the time I pocket carry a M&P9c with a back up gun in the other pocket. If I am carrying a 1911 I carry a spare mag and a backup gun. If I carry a full size M&P9 I carry the 9 compact as a back up. So I guess I carry a spare mag it's just in a different gun. I carry the same if I am going to the big city or church. Bad guys travel and can show up anywhere.
Old July 28, 2020, 10:41 PM   #42
veprdude

XDM-45 3.8 on carry with extra mag on belt. Full Size XDM-45 in the car with 2 additional mags when traveling. All can use the same mags except the compact mags won't go into the full size.

Always +1 camp.
Old July 29, 2020, 07:13 AM   #43
corneileous

Springfield XDE 45 with an extended 8-round magazine loaded in the gun and another one like that as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 29, 2020, 01:30 PM   #44
lordvader

One extra. And pray that I am never involved in a gun fight. Any gun fight is going to be a 50/50 proposition. You either win, or you lose. I am not willing to gamble on that. I carry as a last resort. Meaning that if I am cornered and have no place to run, I have my weapon to protect me if possible. Other than that if there is an escape, I will take it.
Old July 29, 2020, 03:20 PM   #45
stephen426

I carried a Kahr PM9 which held 6 rounds with the flush fitting magazine. While the one in the chamber already gave me more rounds than a typical revolver, I started carrying the two 7 round spare mags in my back pocket for a total of 21 rounds. My first version was shipping envelope cardboard lined with Tyvex in the inside, and duct tape on the outside. Laugh all you want, but it lasted for a long time. When I switched to the Glock 43, I got fancy and made a mag pouch of Cordura fabric with kydex to keep it rigid. I bought the plus 2 extenders so I go up to 23 rounds total. Fortunately, the same Mag pouch works for my Springfield Armory Hellcat mags. I carry two 13 round mags, but I carry with the 11 round mag for conceal ability. Total round count jumped to 38 rounds. I tried carrying with the 13 round mag, but the extra length affect conceal ability slightly.

Some people ask why I carry 2 mags and if I really think I’d ever need that many rounds. 2 mags is much easier to carry and it looks more like a wallet. The mags stay properly oriented and don’t move around.

Last edited by stephen426; July 30, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old July 29, 2020, 03:33 PM   #46
HighValleyRanch

Do you mean Kahr PM9?
Magguts makes conversion kit so you can carry 7 rounds in that "flush" 6 round mag. I have one and it works great and the +! kit for the 7 round mag as well.
Old July 29, 2020, 07:23 PM   #47
stephen426

Quote:
Do you mean Kahr PM9?
Magguts makes conversion kit so you can carry 7 rounds in that "flush" 6 round mag. I have one and it works great and the +! kit for the 7 round mag as well.
Sorry, autocorrect changed it on me and I didn’t notice. Yes, it was a Kahr PM9. I would probably never go back to carrying it though since I am very happy with my Springfield Armory Hellcat. It has a much better trigger and double the mag capacity.
Old July 29, 2020, 10:37 PM   #48
Ramiaqrabawi

Since my glock holds 8+1 "+2 extended mag" I have to carry an extra mag. Whenever I carry my S&W 2.0 compact which has a capacity of 15+1 I only carry the mag that's on the gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old July 30, 2020, 07:25 PM   #49
sgms

I'm one of the 1 in the gun 2 reloads on the belt. Same for revolvers, single stack, or double stack magazines. So my ammunition load varies a good but 15 to 46 rounds.
Old July 30, 2020, 08:30 PM   #50
Chipperman

One in the gun, a spare and a BUG; which I guess means two spares