The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Nathan

Headlamp for hunting

Surely some of you have found a decent under $30 rechargeable headlamp for hunting.

What did you get?

I’m thinking about LINK

Really can’t see spending much more, but I would like a couple hours of use for gutting and dragging.
Old October 14, 2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Logs

Haven't tried that one. I have a few of the Cabela's Headlamps that they run on sale for $20 and they have worked great for me. AAA batteries are easy to carry extra.
Old October 14, 2020, 04:55 PM   #3
jmr40

I just don't think it matters much. I've had several over the years and they all seem to work for me. Even some cheaper ones.

Some features I like:

I don't really want rechargeable. I find it easier to just carry spare batteries. I may camp/hunt for several days in the same location with no way to recharge batteries.

It doesn't need to have a lot of power. I just need enough light to see 10' or so and to load/unload guns in the dark. More power drains batteries faster. If I need to see farther I have a more powerful light in the pack.

I like the ones with the option of a white and red light. The red light is great for up close work and it doesn't mess up night vision. It doesn't alert game that you are nearby either.

My favorite actually clips to the bill of a cap rather than a headband.

Winston Churchill
Old October 14, 2020, 05:29 PM   #4
LeverGunFan

When we were backpacking we used headlamps extensively, and we developed a preference for Princeton Tec headlamps, especially the EOS model. Here's a link to the lineup of Princeton Tec headlamps, some models are within your price point. I also prefer replaceable batteries over rechargeable models; lithium batteries work well for long life and operate well in colder temperatures. Check Princeton Tec's outlet page, they generally have some good bargains on discontinued headlamp models.
Old October 14, 2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Double K

This one is over your budget but it's a fantastic light, I really like the green mode, Home depot carries half a dozen models, I had to order this one online.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coast-FL...1104/311180915
Old October 14, 2020, 07:30 PM   #6
Scorch

This is the one I opted for this year.
https://www.amazon.com/802100-Broadb...ag=googhydr-20
Taylor Machine
Old October 16, 2020, 09:04 PM   #7
ocharry

I have a couple from harbor freight...they zoom from food to an amazing spot...they are not rechargeable.... Have nice head gear...they are on sale now for $9.99....they are led and batteries last a long time

You should check them out....they are the best head light I ever used

Ocharry
Old October 17, 2020, 09:02 AM   #8
shafter

My favorite headlamp is the Black Diamond Storm. It usually sells for around $50 but it's on sale frequently for closer to your budget. Good bright light with multiple settings including a red lens. Not rechargeable but you could use rechargeable batteries in it no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...2943082&sr=8-4

If I'm trying to go a little lighter I'll go with Princeton Tech. I'll wear it around my neck so it's there in case I need it. They have several varieties of different brightness and cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec...s%2C324&sr=8-2
Old October 17, 2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Nathan

Ended up getting this one....we’ll see

LINK
Old October 17, 2020, 01:10 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Keeping in mind that lights, head or not, isn't legal while hunting everywhere, you can get one that runs a very long time on 2 AA batteries(I think it's AA's. Might be AAA's. Only use the thing when the local power goes out.), for about $2.50 or less in a Dollar store. Even $10 is nuts. Most of 'em are made in China.
Old October 18, 2020, 03:23 PM   #11
doofus47

That's a good choice. i don't choose any that can't throw a beam over 200 lumens.
A. it's good for seeing farther in the dark when tracking a wounded deer.
B. It's good for seeing farther in the dark when you hear a mountain lion scream nearby when gutting a deer.

More isn't always necessary, but sometimes... It's comforting to have a high beam.
Old October 18, 2020, 05:24 PM   #12
Nathan

@doofus47....I like your thinking. You ever had much luck with colored lights when trailing blood? I have not. I’ve tried them.

So, my use cases are more like:
-flashing red/white so people could find me if I got hurt
-low red for walking in to a stand or blind
-flood white for gutting...100 lumens or more...200 better
-100+ lumen spot for walking out, looking for buddies, etc
-waterproof...in rains hard in OH
-Drop resistance, dust resistance....MT can be pretty dusty

I have seen all the 300-1000 turbo mode lights, but most cannot run that bright. They overheat and drop to 100 lumens or so.

I do have a Nitecore P12 1000 lumen handheld that really runs at 1000 for an hour. That would get cat duty!
Old October 19, 2020, 01:34 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

B. You think it'd help? Kitty is not interested in you. Kitty prefers fresh meat to carrion. If Kitty comes for you, it'll be from above and behind, way faster than you'll ever be.
Old October 19, 2020, 04:12 PM   #14
stinkeypete

I’m one of those luddites that think a man can do it all with just a stout knife and matches. He probably can, but two great inventions have come about:

1. Game shears- stout scissors that make dressing birds, rabbits and squirrel ten times easier.
2. LED headlamps- bright bright and long lasting so you can do those chores like dressing your pheasant when the sun goes down early here up north. Both hands are free and I can’t see in the dark like I could thirty years ago.

I am going to pick up 2 more headlamps. My wife keeps borrowing mine and keeps on losing them.
Old October 20, 2020, 11:22 AM   #15
JakeE

I will for sure be adding this to my next must get list
Old October 20, 2020, 08:26 PM   #16
ocharry

I'm telling you guys...you are missing the boat if you dont check out that harbor freight light!!!

For the money ...run time and bright zoom to flood and $10 bucks on sale....it is a hard head light to beat

I have and have had several....this one gets to go every time....I know HF dont get a lot of creds...but they hit a homer on this

My .02

Ocharry
Old October 20, 2020, 10:16 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

I have been using these for the last 4 or 5 years. It uses a rechargeable 18650 battery which gives it a very long run time, plus if you run out of juice in the field, you can just pop in another one. The last has 4 brightness levels and red light for navigating in the dark without really giving yourself away.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old October 22, 2020, 09:27 AM   #18
Ricklin

Tired of AAA batteries

I do a lot of small stuff work. I also got really tired of buying AAA batteries.

A couple tips. Many of the headlights are actually made for 18650 Li ion cells. If it has the little holder for the three AAA cells it will also take one 18650 rechargeable. Just loose the little 3 battery adaptor.

The ultimate is the clip on type with a separate battery pack. Like your dentist wears. 100% awesome. I just used my last pair of glasses, close enough to the ones I have now. I just keep it set up that way.

Can get the clip on type on ebay or amazon. My battery pack will last a good 8 hours.
Old October 22, 2020, 03:47 PM   #19
Nathan

I’m pretty happy with the Nitecore NU17. I really couldn’t use much more light. Too much light working close hurts my eyes. A re AF l ~50 lumen flood and real 100 lumen spot is ideal to me with a 1-5 lumen red and 10-30 lumen spot for being inconspicuous.

Super light and small. Recharges easily with one of my 50 charge wires!
Old October 23, 2020, 11:11 AM   #20
doofus47

Nathan, i've been fortunate to not have to track often after dark. I used a high beam when last I did, but tbh the deer did't run far and I readily spotted in the dark the retinas of my wounded deer's eyes looking at me first, so the blood trail was a moot point.

T.Oheir: I agree that a cat that wants you will come from behind and quietly as it did for this Colorado hunter recently, but I also know that I don't see in the dark nearly as well as them, and I'm not adverse to making up that difference.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:59 AM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Nathan, i've been fortunate to not have to track often after dark.
LOL, virtually all of my tracking is after dark. Of course, I primarily hunt only after dark.
Old October 26, 2020, 09:17 PM   #22
doofus47

No joke, DNS: I've watched so many of your night scope videos that I sometimes wonder if I'm color blind...
lol
Old October 27, 2020, 09:40 PM   #23
GeauxTide

I got the Everbeam H6 Pro LED Rechargeable Headlamp, Motion Sensor Control, 650 Lumen Bright 30 Hours Runtime 1200mAh Battery USB Headlight Flashlight, Camping Hiking Fishing Work Waterproof Torch. Love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Everbeam-Rech...s%2C181&sr=8-5
Old October 28, 2020, 10:03 AM   #24
Drm50

I’m looking for head light right now. I want good rechargeable light that has clip to mount to cap. Also want charger and everything in one deal. I’m Ex miner and don’t want to carry power pack or batteries. Besides that I want no wires to snag up in brush. Spent many night coin hunting with the old Wheat lites and wet cell on belt. I also don’t like the models with elastic band to hold around head or hat.
Old October 29, 2020, 09:40 AM   #25
stephen426

I am of the school of thought that it is better to buy quality or you'd better have a few back ups. I love Harbor Freight, but a lot of their cheaper stuff is junk. It doesn't mean that more expensive stuff doesn't go bad, but their cheapy lights have had broken switches or some internals got loose. I used head lamps quite a bit when I used to install cameras and wiring so I've tried a few different head lamps (including the really cheap stuff).

I've used the Energizer ones from Home Depot and they seem reliable, but you need to pick the power output that you need. Most of them have variable power settings, but keep in mind the high output will use up the battery in a hurry. Be sure to keep a few spare sets. I agree that rechargeable batteries are not always the best option when out in the field. You should also have a hand held back up so you don't end up getting lost or walking off a drop off if your light dies on you.

Check out this light from Milwaukee. It has spot light and flood light, 450 lumen output, and is waterproof and drop proof. It can pivot to focus the light up and down.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2104/309838475