The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 2, 2021, 06:38 PM   #26
ghbucky

The big day is almost here!

Everything still on track?
Old September 2, 2021, 07:17 PM   #27
ligonierbill

The only thing I have to sweat is the 72 hour PCR test. I am vaccinated, of course, and have not been exposed to my knowledge, but Ohio has pretty much gone back to the worst days of the pandemic. Get past that, and I'm good to go.
Old September 2, 2021, 08:56 PM   #28
Geezerbiker

We're all looking forward to hearing about it and seeing your pictures when you get back. So take lots of pictures...

Tony
Old September 3, 2021, 03:00 PM   #29
sako2

Good luck and have a great time.
Old September 6, 2021, 11:03 AM   #30
Seedy Character

Living vicariously through your word

Funny thing, when grandson was 8, he would go to deer stand and hunt with me. He asked when he would get to shoot a deer. I said when he could hold the rifle and hit his target.

After season, happened into Wally Wawa and the had a set of shooting sticks clearances. (No idea what brand, probably Uncle Mike and less than $5)

Bought them and we headed to the range. Model 92 .44mag and target handloafs. Took him few rounds, but we figured out what worked and that he was left eye dominant.
Started getting consistent hits and practiced all summer.

Got his does, opening morning.

He is now 22 and still uses those same sticks. It is all what you get used to.
Old September 9, 2021, 01:08 PM   #31
ligonierbill

Awaiting my PCR results. If OK, I'm on my way tomorrow. BTW, Namibia just changed their entry requirement to a negative PCR within 7 days (was 72 hr). They want you to come! Next report tomorrow.
Old September 9, 2021, 05:28 PM   #32
NHSHOOTER

ligonierbill I hope you have a safe enjoyable trip, you really put your time in (and money)..Look forward to pictures and reports of your trip..
Old September 9, 2021, 05:37 PM   #33
Sharkbite

Ive got a SCUBA trip to Bonaire planned for Nov. They just REDUCED the time for a test to 48 hours

Heck, it takes a whole day of travel just to get there.
Old September 10, 2021, 07:52 AM   #34
ligonierbill

I'm on my way. No covid. More later.
Old September 10, 2021, 01:55 PM   #35
ligonierbill

Progress report: Checked in with Lufthansa, almost. Guy says my 2nd leg to Namibia is canceled and throws up his hands. Travel agent can't help on the day of departure. So back in line to try again. Oh, it's not canceled, just delayed 9 hours! I've seen worse says I. So, almost there. Needed my vax card, not my PCR. Have to take the rifle to TSA. Need a declaration tag says the TSA guy. (Not interested in my 4457.) We don't use those says the Lufthansa agent. TSA shrugs, runs it through the X ray, and we're good to go. So I'm at the gate, and this one is on time. Right now I would rather deal with puff adders than airline agents, but at least they'll have beer on the flight.
Old September 10, 2021, 02:00 PM   #36
ligonierbill

PS: Guy in line asked if that was a musical instrument I was carrying. Pause, think of witty reply. Just said no.
Old September 10, 2021, 03:27 PM   #37
eastbank

working you way thu the maze of agents on several flights and airports will give a airhead a head ache, not to mention import-export of firearms.
Old September 13, 2021, 12:23 AM   #38
armoredman

"Yes, trombone. I played with the New York Philharmonic until they fired me for my constant flatulence. Cost me a couple of friends, too. Hang on, feel one coming up...where are you going?"
Old September 13, 2021, 09:51 AM   #39
stagpanther

"It's a bassoon." (Sniper)
Old September 14, 2021, 09:31 AM   #40
stagpanther

Just heard from a friend of my friend who was going to South Africa--despite all the paperwork and control for his rifles--a 300 wby mag and a 416 wby mag, they didn't make it to Africa with him. The airline lost control in Dubai and they are gone forever.

Edit--I just called my friend long distance (I'm in Europe) and it turns out his guide had back-up rifles and everyone got the tag they went for! His rifles are still a mystery though. His 12 year old grandson dropped a cape Buffalo with a 416 Rigby!! Little stud.

Last edited by stagpanther; September 18, 2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old September 17, 2021, 08:43 AM   #41
ligonierbill

Just found wifi here. Made it without issue. Shot red hartebeest, kudu, and oryx. Saw a big mamba from the truck, but we did not stop to take pictures! Details later, but you need to do this. So long from Namibia.
Old September 17, 2021, 01:17 PM   #42
stagpanther

Nice! Congrats.
Old September 18, 2021, 03:09 AM   #43
ligonierbill

Done hunting. Killed my springbok yesterday afternoon. I will post pictures and a detailed account after I get home next Tuesday. But to clear up a couple things, according to my hosts the rabies vaccine may have been a waste of money. CDC recommended, so decide for yourself. And the sticks: the set here has a shallow U on top like the Primos sticks, and resting your rifle on it is fine. I was hurrying my trigger release before.

I had 7 hunting days, and lost half a day with the flight delay. But I kiiled my 4 animals with 2 full days left. Can't emphasize enough the abundance of game here. If I wanted to pay additional trophy fees, I could go after impala, black or blue wildebeest, zebra, or eland.
Old September 18, 2021, 04:29 AM   #44
sako2

Congrat's on a successful trip. Sound's like you had a good time.
Old September 18, 2021, 04:33 PM   #45
GeauxTide

Been using StealthPOD X sticks for three years. The BEST.
Old September 23, 2021, 04:09 AM   #46
ligonierbill

Photos and summary

Alright, here are the "grip and grin" photos. And some parting notes:

Travel: Return was smooth. At Detroit, an airline guy met me with the rifle and walked me to CBP. He was interested in what rifle I had. Hadn't retrieved my other bag, so I left the key and the 4457 with CBP. When I got back, he handed back the form and asked the usual "fruits and seeds" questions. Professional, but actually friendly. On my way. If you go, find a travel agent that does firearms.

Safari Company: I will throw a pitch for Kowas Adventure Safaris. Obviously a sample of one, but I can't imagine how they would have been better. Really took care of me. Great food and drink. Great accommodations (daily laundry!), friendly helpful staff. Note they have another "camp" in the north where they hunt elephant, buffalo, and crocs.

Hunting: Spot and stalk, and the stalk can be arduous. Depend on your PH. Mine (first black PH in Namibia!) was great. You have enough time to shoot, but "take your time in a hurry". Most shots are not challenging for a competent marksman, but they are not necessarily easy. When the game is down they winch it into the safari car (Toyota Land Cruiser pickup) and off you go for a beer. Game in abundance.

Rifles: I was happy with the 338/200 Accubond setup. The other guy hunting there had a 7 Mag. Based on a few discussions, it sounds like the 300 Win Mag is ubiquitous, no surprise. The oryx in particular is legendary for its toughness. Hit 'em hard, I say.

Snakes: Discussion around the campfire with the owner. The puff adders seem to be the concern, but you almost literally have to step on them. But they won't get out of your way. Cobras, surprisingly, were less of a concern. They usually display, and if that doesn't send you on your way, they spit. Mambas, though. The only good thing said was they're rare. But obviously, a big one like we saw is very dangerous. Just stay close to the PH. They have nasty scorpions, too, but I didn't see any.

Overall, absolutely the "trip of a lifetime". I want to go back - everybody does. My $20k budget (all in, including trophy mounting and shipment) is pretty accurate, but you can do it cheaper. Hunt 5 days rather than 7 with these guys, get skull-and-horns mounts, pick lower trophy fee animals. (The kudu is $2,500, the rest much less.) But, go if you are at all able.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (86.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (86.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 00.jpg (93.9 KB, 48 views)
Old September 23, 2021, 05:54 AM   #47
eastbank

i have been there on six hunting trips and every one was total blast, i hunted with the same PH and we became fast friends, it was a give and get relationship. i brought things he needed-wanted from the states that are hard-exspenive to get in africa and it worked out very nice. i say the same thing, if you can go it will be a worth while trip of a lifetime.
Old September 23, 2021, 07:18 AM   #48
NHSHOOTER

Congrats on the trophy's, looks like a excellent adventure. Just a question, who gets all the game meat?
Old September 23, 2021, 09:27 AM   #49
ligonierbill

They usually cook the backstraps for supper. Most goes to the locals. No gut piles in the brush - like the old farmers that use everything but the squeal, they take it all. We ate red hartebeest and springbok (mine) and eland. All very tasty.
Old September 23, 2021, 03:11 PM   #50
sako2

Nice animals. Congrats.