The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 16, 2018, 07:57 PM   #1
chris16371

What's everyone fill their shooting bags with?

My old bags are worn out so I bought some new and wondering what everyone uses. I don't want to use sand again bc of leaking through materials. I thought about rice but not sure where to find a cheap 6-10lbs bag.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old April 17, 2018, 05:28 AM   #2
TJB101

I had a big jug of cat liter that I used. Good weight and compresses nicely
Old April 17, 2018, 07:57 AM   #3
PlatinumCore16

Second on the car litter. It's also cheap for the cheap stuff.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:37 AM   #4
rpseraph

Cat litter is cheap. Rice is cheap and you can buy a ton of it anywhere. Go to Walmart or Costco or wherever.
Old April 17, 2018, 10:43 AM   #5
LeverGunFan

I used weighted poly pellets, typically used to fill stuffed toys. They don't absorb moisture and won't leak, and they conform to the shape of the bag. I wouldn't use kitty litter or rice, as they will absorb moisture over time. And mice like rice... they could chew on your bags. The poly pellets make for a lightweight bag that is easy to carry to the range, but it may be too light if you are looking for top accuracy. Serious benchrest shooters use some form of sand, and there is also a extra heavy type of sand available. But if you are a recreational shooter who wants a bag that is easy to carry, the poly pellets work well. I used Fairfield Poly Pellets, they are available at a number of places online. The poly pellets won't flow into the bag as easily as sand, so I used a piece of thick copper wire to push the pellets through the funnel and into the bag.
Old April 17, 2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Pahoo

Poly works

LeverGunFan
Quote:
I used weighted poly pellets, typically used to fill stuffed toys.
I do the same although I don't know what weighted pellets are. I think you are refereeing to Polyurethane pellets which are very light and soft. I use HD & LD Polyethylene pellets that are a bit heavier and they don't get crushed. Finding them might take some looking but is all else fails, you can go to Mc-Master Carr. We have a local company that makes plastic cases. Their feedstock is Polyethylene pellets. Last time, I got bucket, for nothing. ......

Another option that I have never tried, is rubber-mulch that you can get at Home Depot. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old April 17, 2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Zen Archery

Rice
Old April 17, 2018, 06:10 PM   #8
LeverGunFan

Pahoo, The poly pellets I used are Polypropylene, probably similar in density to polyethylene. They have a smooth oval or rounded shape so that they pack into a bag uniformly.
Old April 17, 2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Pahoo

Even better !!!

Quote:
Pahoo, The poly pellets I used are Polypropylene, probably similar in density to polyethylene.
Polypropylene, is even better than what I use as it is denser. Might want to tell the folks where they might find some. My bags did develop some mildew but that was due to the bags being cotton. .....

I started out using shot-bags and then cut a section of blue jean pant-legs. The lady who sewed the ends, gave me a strange look. ....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 17, 2018, 08:33 PM   #10
LeverGunFan

Pahoo, The Fairfield poly pellets are available through Amazon, Walmart and other online sellers, and they may be available locally at fabric shops. Here's a link to the Amazon listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-PP2.../dp/B0077AQ0W8
Old April 18, 2018, 11:14 AM   #11
chris16371

Thanks for the replies!!

Ik I need either 11lbs of sand or 5.5lbs of rice (per manufacturer instructions), any idea how many pounds of poly pellets that would be? I'll have to shop around for the best price for those, I do already order from McMaster Carr so I'll check their pricing first.

Old April 18, 2018, 01:38 PM   #12
LeverGunFan

I'd start with 4 pounds of poly pellets and see how that works. It's sold it in 2 pound, 6 pound and 10 pound containers, if you get too much you can use it for other accessories like an elbow pad.
Old April 18, 2018, 03:58 PM   #13
Pahoo

Thank you !!!

LeverGunFan
We thank you and you get "The Tip" of the week .......

Be Safe !!!
Old April 18, 2018, 06:01 PM   #14
LeverGunFan

You're welcome!
Old April 18, 2018, 06:37 PM   #15
FITASC

rice and litter hold moisture
I prefer used primers or sand in a plastic bag stuffed inside a canvas shot bag.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 18, 2018, 07:38 PM   #16
cw308

Chris
What rear bag did you get ? I have the PROTEKTOR MODEL in leather with bunny ears , I use beach sand , like the weight , packed on the tight side . Haven't had a problem with the seams loosing sand . Weather is warming up ,will be at the bench soon .

Chris
Old May 2, 2018, 06:40 PM   #17
reynolds357

Sand
Old May 3, 2018, 11:00 AM   #18
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16 View Post
Second on the car litter. It's also cheap for the cheap stuff.
Car litter?
Old May 3, 2018, 11:18 AM   #19
Don Fischer

I have always used sand because it's inexpensive. If I think about it, it's always been lacking one thing, that plastic bag! I've heard of using kitty litter but my thought is it's subject to getting wet and then it's history. Also have heard of using rice. Kitty litter and rice both have one thing in common, you have to pay for it! I too make my bags from jean legs mostly. another great material is MTY shot bags. If shot wasn't so expensive it would probably make good filler.The shot bag's with sand in them are great! I think that the best bag's have some weight to them and still have to flex but not over flex. Those plastic filler seem's to me would move around to much. Kitty litter may or may also. Even shot might. Sand takes a position under the rifle and doesn't move at all!

A problem with my sand bags is that it freeze's and the bags are in the Bronco, then you'd have to shoot off a brick! I had to sew up a few hole's in my bags last week, pain in the but but easy enough done.

Gonna make me a new one one of these days and put the sand in a plastic bag, that does sound like a great idea.
Old May 4, 2018, 08:28 AM   #20
chris16371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I have always used sand because it's inexpensive. If I think about it, it's always been lacking one thing, that plastic bag! I've heard of using kitty litter but my thought is it's subject to getting wet and then it's history. Also have heard of using rice. Kitty litter and rice both have one thing in common, you have to pay for it! I too make my bags from jean legs mostly. another great material is MTY shot bags. If shot wasn't so expensive it would probably make good filler.The shot bag's with sand in them are great! I think that the best bag's have some weight to them and still have to flex but not over flex. Those plastic filler seem's to me would move around to much. Kitty litter may or may also. Even shot might. Sand takes a position under the rifle and doesn't move at all!

A problem with my sand bags is that it freeze's and the bags are in the Bronco, then you'd have to shoot off a brick! I had to sew up a few hole's in my bags last week, pain in the but but easy enough done.

Gonna make me a new one one of these days and put the sand in a plastic bag, that does sound like a great idea.
I haven't filled my new bags yet. Sand would be my choice for the reasons you stated but there's no way to get a plastic bag into the shooting bags bc you fill through a little flap that you need to put a funnel into.

Old May 5, 2018, 05:54 AM   #21
Scoits

Poly pellets do the job .
Old May 7, 2018, 07:18 AM   #22
Runs With Fire

Dirt. Took a little out of the corner of my driveway. Just had some excavating done, now there's a pile of sand. How considerate and handy. Making sandbags out of old worn out jeans. Just filling them with pure whiteish sand now. I will soon have enough to make my own sandbag barricade.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:23 AM   #23
Runs With Fire

Dirt. Took a little out of the corner of my driveway. Just had some excavating done, now there's a pile of sand. How considerate and handy. Making sandbags out of old worn out jeans. Just filling them with pure whiteish sand now. I will soon have enough to make my own sandbag barricade.
Old May 23, 2018, 08:11 AM   #24
Joe-ker

^^^^^this

Legs off old jeans work great. Zip tie ends shut.

First one I used soybeans. Wouldn't want to leave that one out to get wet so second one I used pea rock. I actually like the beans better.
Old June 5, 2018, 04:21 PM   #25
doubleh

Dirt for me. I just go out in my pasture and fill them. It's no problem to find DRY dirt out there and I've never had any leakage. Protektor builds excellent bags.