The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 21, 2011, 07:52 PM   #26
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The F&G wardens assume the 44 mag meets those guidlines, you're goint to be hard pressed to convince them a 357 will develop that much energy at 100 yards.
+1.

I hunt in Wyoming as well and when I called the F&G department I was told that a .357 doesn't meet the requirements as a hunting sidearm. With that said, even if I was carrying it just for self protection, the Game Warden advised that each Game Warden may enforce the law differently. He said my best bet was to leave the .357 at home.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:23 PM   #27
kraigwy

Quote:
Careful there Loneranger. No one likes a dog hater.
The most dangerous animal on the mountain walks on two legs.
I've never had a problem with two legged critters in Wyoming, but I've lost a lot of live stock, chickens, hamstrung horse, etc, from uncontrolled dogs. Also a couple times they've keep my wife or granddaughter from getting out of the truck to get the mail. The run and kill deer, turkeys and other wildlife.

If I catch them running running game our in my pasture chasing my horses, I'll hang them on a fence post.

Having said that I haven't seen many dogs in the Big Horns during hunting season.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 21, 2011, 08:43 PM   #28
maxman894

Kreyzhorse, would a .45 qualify?
Old July 21, 2011, 11:46 PM   #29
pvt.Long

A heavy weight HP for the 40 will suffice.
I would carry it just in case I came across anything that could be a possible threat.
I caught a guy running hogs on my uncles farm in east texas... he tried to run but I got his dogs, the game warden has his hide, license hunting and drivers, truck, poached game in his freezer and the guns out of his truck.
Old July 22, 2011, 05:56 PM   #30
cornbush

Neither the .45 or the .40 will qualify, legal handgun stuff pretty much starts with the 41 mag.
357 will with some loads in longer barrels, but you better have some printed ballistics from a manufacturer to back you up.
The safe bet is 41 mag or bigger, the game wardens in Wyoming that I have dealt with over the last 15 years have with one exception been great.
But rules are rules, and they are just doing their job, make it easy and uncomplicated for them.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:20 AM   #31
elkman06

Quote:
after the elk was down and you are packing out the meat
And keep in mind that this is exactly when you will meet up w/ yogi...AMHIK. Only bear encounter I ever had up close and a short barrelled pistol is not the preferred weapon. I don't care if it's a .454Casull.

Back to what seemed to be the guys' question,,
1: For self defense against 2 and 4 legged threats(other than bruins), about anything will do. A double stack auto is a great choice.
2: Do not be tempted to do the "coup de grace" on your elk unless it is a [U]legal[U] hunting caliber. Although common sense tells you it's the right choice to use your .357 or .40 to finish him off, it's illegal.
Most Wyo law enforcement don't hardly look at us while packing, while hunting. If you choose to carry a pistol, the only inquiry might be from a G&F officer, making sure you know the rules about it's legality.
I personally stood talking to a sheriff last year for about 30 mins while carrying, while he was considering giving me a ticket. He didn't seem bothered by the sidearm.

I'll still go back to the original comment though, unnecessary and heavy, especially not being used to the altitude.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 23, 2011, 06:58 PM   #32
maxman894

Thanks for all of your help everybody. Going to shoot a Dan Wesson .44 mag in a couple weeks. Lighter gun, shorter barrel, so I may end up packing this gun since I can't legally open carry.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:27 PM   #33
longranger

Quote:
Careful there Loneranger. No one likes a dog hater.
The most dangerous animal on the mountain walks on two legs.
I don't hate dogs,I hate the people who own dogs and let them bump the country uncontrolled,I can't shoot the owners.I have been accosted by flatlanders dogs to many times on the trails.I use our trail system in the Big Horns 9 mos. out of the year I will not be bit by your dog or any one elses.If you can't control your dog put it on a leash!

Quote:
I've never had a problem with two legged critters in Wyoming, but I've lost a lot of live stock, chickens, hamstrung horse, etc, from uncontrolled dogs. Also a couple times they've keep my wife or granddaughter from getting out of the truck to get the mail. The run and kill deer, turkeys and other wildlife.

If I catch them running running game our in my pasture chasing my horses, I'll hang them on a fence post.
I 100% agree,no hesitation on my part.

Tags
elk , handgun , hunting , revolver , wyoming