The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 13, 2018, 11:35 PM   #51
3Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv View Post
The Savage web site lists both rifles very close in weight. Not enough of a difference to make weight the reason to choose one over the other.
Please do not take this as argument, we just talking. I agree. The difference is with the Hog the non-Accustock is lighter than the Scout's aluminum bed Accustock but the medium profile 20 inch barrel of the Hog is heaver than the Scout's 18.5 inch standard profile barrel, both threaded. The flush 4 round and extended 10 round mags of the Scout are probably a bit extra weight since they are metal as opposed to the Hogs box mag built in. Thus the two rifles average out about the same weight. The rails and sights in weight, though different, are probably close to a wash. The Scout appears to have a larger bolt knob.

3C
Old February 14, 2018, 12:54 AM   #52
bamaranger

weight

There's no doubt my early first generation Savage Scout (w/ the 5 rd, side button release mag) is far lighter than the Savage Hog rifles. Naked, or all up. No doubt in my mind which I would carry all day afoot.

That medium barrel on the Hog Rifle is no doubt intended to deal with the addition of a suppressor, just as the hi-rise sights and threaded muzzle .
I take the sights off my Hogs, likely will never shoot a suppresor, and have considered getting the Hog tubes fluted (to cut weight) ......but likely never will due to cost.

On the same line of thought, firearms weights empty, and with no hardware, serve only as a baseline in comparisons. Add the usual hardware, and depending on one's choices, weights can change quickly. Ditto a 10 rd or larger box mag. Fill that big box with cartridges, and it's heavy. Plunk a 30mm tube, 50mm bell scope on any rifle, heavier still. I keep an ammo cuff on several of my frequently used rifles....more weight again. Sling, bipod, cheek piece, light (trendy these days) laser (ditto), altimeter, AM/FM radio and disk player.......

Ideal Savage Scout? Like maybe from their custom shop? Standard taper barrel, like on the old models, I think 18-1/2", not 20". No muzzle gadget. Blind magazine, like the Hog rifle.......no mag to forget or lose. No cheek piece. XS sights, low power IER scope. Maybe an IER variable 1.5-5X (?) but lighter/smaller than the Burris 2-7x. Coarse, chunky reticle, I might even stay with the German #1. Detachable rings, or rings easily removed with an Torx or allen key. I tape the key under the ammo butt 'cuff. Caliber, .308. Standard trigger, no accu trigger, simpler. I'd keep the oversize factory bolt knob.
Old February 14, 2018, 08:34 AM   #53
agtman

Quote:
Ideal Savage Scout?
Standard taper barrel, like on the old models, I think 18-1/2", not 20". No muzzle gadget. Blind magazine, like the Hog rifle.......no mag to forget or lose. No cheek piece. XS sights, low power IER scope. Maybe an IER variable 1.5-5X (?) but lighter/smaller than the Burris 2-7x. Coarse, chunky reticle, I might even stay with the German #1. Detachable rings, or rings easily removed with an Torx or allen key. I tape the key under the ammo butt 'cuff. Caliber, .308. Standard trigger, no accu trigger, simpler. I'd keep the oversize factory bolt knob.
Actually, with one modification, that's a great Scout check list.

The mod would be that if you're going to omit a DBM in favor of the "blind" magazine system, then for quick reloading in the field, the rear receiver needs to be tailored to accept mil-style 5-rd stripper clips to re-charge the mag. Quicker than finger-fumbling them in one at a time, plus the clips themselves make carrying extra ammo (that's not on the butt cuff) handier.

On the scope, the fixed 2.75x IER Burris is what I run on my Mini-G faux-Scout. Nothing wrong with it for the distances I'm shooting it (generally inside 200yds), but I'm seriously considering Weaver's fixed 4x Scout scope for my next build. Specs indicate that it weighs less than the Burris. Anyone have the Weaver?

Last edited by agtman; February 14, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old April 16, 2018, 08:53 PM   #54
3Crows

Just an update, I suppose I had never appreciated a forward mounted scope and had never given them a chance. But, I picked up a forward mounted scope at Cabela's, a Vortex 2X7 Crossfire II. I mounted it on my Savage Model 11 "Scout" and removed the Nikon 3X9 I had mounted rearwards. I was immediately taken by how quickly I could acquire a target with both eyes open which I find difficult with a standard mounted scope at anything much over 1X. But even at 5X I can see decently with both eyes, even if crossed a little. I used Warne QR mounts in medium which set the new optic nicely low on the rail.

So I guess my Savage .308 multi-purpose rifle now wears a forward mounted optic. And this impressed me enough that I ordered a Burris 2.75X "Scout" forward mount optic for my Marlin 45-70 SBL. The SBL has a Nikon 1X4 African mounted on medium Warne QR mounts conventionally and while it has never whacked me, with full on Buffalo Bore or HSM Bear Loads it has come close. So, I will see how the Burris does on the Marlin, should get here this week. To be clear, on the Nikon African, love that scope. It has around 4 inches of ER. It is meant for heavy hitters. I am not really worried especially about getting hit by it with normal 45-70 rounds sufficient to knock a buffalo on it's arse. But with dino-elephant loads I find it needed to rather tightly hang on to the SBL and use due caution, 430 grain hard casts at 2000 fps in a Marlin can come back at you .

Last edited by 3Crows; April 16, 2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old April 17, 2018, 07:26 AM   #55
agtman

3Crows: FWIW, I think you'll like the Burris scout scope.

I finally did get Weaver's 4x SS, and have since mounted it on my '06 Mini-G Scout. The extra bit of magnification is nice for glassing beyond 200yds, although virtually all the shots on deer where I hunt would be well inside that. Probably the same for hogs.

That said, among the fixed-power SSs, Burris' 2.75x magnification is right in the middle between the Leupold 2.5x and the Weaver, and is probably the most useful.

Still might get the Leupy anyway if I do another scout build off an M1 action, although after reading positive reviews of Mossberg's Scout entry I've got my eye on it. Having one bolt Scout in .308 that makes weight and reliably runs Magpul 7.62/.308 (SR-25) mags would be a useful addition to the battery.

Mann's review here, FYI:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=be8NzsFvp1k

Last edited by agtman; April 17, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old April 19, 2018, 01:46 PM   #56
jimbob86

Quote:
Just an update, I suppose I had never appreciated a forward mounted scope and had never given them a chance
If folks gave 10% of the time and effort to learn to use an IER scope that they expend on squalling loudly on the internetz that they do not work ......
Old April 19, 2018, 06:21 PM   #57
PlatinumCore16

Very nice. Glad you like the forward mount. I also went with a variable 2-7, I personally went with the Leatherwood. At this point, I think I would rather have the fixed magnification right around that 2.75x. I have just found with my limited use of it that the adjustability really isn't necessary. 7x was nice at 300yds, but I don't think I need it. The variable magnification also adds a bunch of weight. Not that it's a heavy rifle, but it could be lighter. I'll have to save up and give either the Leupold or the Burris a shot in the future.
Old April 19, 2018, 09:31 PM   #58
3Crows

I got the new Burris on my SBL today and hopefully can sight it in this weekend. Really nice scope and the 2.75X is perfect with the extended eye relief. I certainly will no longer need to worry about the scope hitting me with Buffalo Bore or heavy load 45-70. I like that is it quite light and very compact and mounts very low on the Warne QR Low rings. I do wish they made a 1X4 range forward optic (note I how I try not to use the word bad word "scout") because I really like my Nikon African 1X4 but it only has 4 inches of eye relief, which of course is quite generous itself!

I have not used either the Vortex 2X7 Crossfire on my Savage multi-purpose rifle other than sighting work with it but I like it too. I think the Burris is a superior optic but it coast another $100 and it is fixed power so not a fair comparison. The Crossfire is a good scope, I would rate both it and the Burris 2.75X as "Good" quality.

3C

Last edited by 3Crows; April 20, 2018 at 09:45 PM.