The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2018, 02:16 AM   #51
jmstr

There are a lot of posts with some good insight.

I will reiterate what some have said:

BHP trigger pull does NOT equal a 1911 trigger pull.
A BHP trigger can be made pretty good, but not likely to be under 5lb and reliable, with a distinct reset- due to factory trigger linkage design. From factory, more likely to be 7-9lb trigger pull.

The only 'downside' to the BHP trigger I am really bugged by is the reset length. But, I still have 5 BHPs [2 9mm and 3 40S&W, until I sell one of them: goal is 2 of each].

40S&W BHP is heavier, with sharper recoil, than 9mm.

.40S&W round has sharper recoil than 9mm in almost any platform, unless designed from ground up around the cartridge [maybe a HK USP, or Glock Gen 4, or S&W M&P?].

BHPs are no longer in production.

I like the 9mm BHP more than the .40, but I like shooting 9mm more than .40 in ANY gun design.

As mentioned, I have 2 9mm [1958 Austrian state police one, and a MK III with sentimental connections], and 3 .40S&W ones. I intend to go down to 2 and 2.

If I could only have one of the ones I have, I'd probably stick with the historical one.

If I didn't have that historical one, I'd keep a single .40 version, and run either a conversion barrel in the slide [allowing +P 9mm with less concern- due to third locking lug] or fit a spare 9mm top end to the frame [either use a 9mm ejector or widen the extractor cut in the 9mm slide to allow thicker 40 ejector to move through it.

BTW, my 1911s all have better triggers [and I have more 1911s than BHPs]. And 1911s can be had in 9mm or .40.

That said, I prefer my 1911s in .45 and my BHPs in EITHER 40 or 9.

Good luck- and tell us your decision.

hipowers and handguns is a website with a LOT of information on it.

the 1911 forums dot com has a BHP section as well- with a lot of information.