The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 22, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Beagle333

Finally got a Seneca.

I have always wanted a nice .45 Seneca for a shooter to complement my .54s' and .56 ML's and I finally found one at a pretty good price. I think it'll suit my needs well. I should be holding it in just a couple of days, but here's a few photos the seller sent me.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 22, 2018, 03:46 PM   #2
noelf2

Very nice. Light loads in .45 are good for squirrels. Heavier charges for deer. All around good rifle!
Old February 22, 2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Pahoo

Congratulations !!!

Quote:
I have always wanted a nice .45 Seneca for a shooter to complement my .54s' and .56 ML's
These little guys, always touch my heart. One thing that I cannot see, is the material of the RamRod. Many came from the factory, with Fiberglass Rods and would recommend a Hickory. .....

You did well and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2018, 04:38 PM   #4
reinert

Hard to beat the old TCs...

Nice Seneca you found; always thought they were the best and most classy of the TC guns. I've got a nice .45 Cherokee in the safe that both my sons learned to shoot m.l.s with many years ago. If my grandkids want to try m.l.s, that's the one they'll learn on, too. Hard to beat the old TCs. Congrats on the find!
Old February 22, 2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Beagle333

I think it'll be lots of fun. I have to get a couple of things to get me started in a new caliber and then I'll be making smoke. Deer season just ended here, but squirrel season is still ongoing, and I have a lot of big fat ones that have been raiding my bird feeder all year.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 22, 2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Pahoo

Truly enjoy hunting squirrels with my Seneca-.36

Quote:
Deer season just ended here, but squirrel season is still ongoing,
For a number of years, I practiced for the deer season by hunting squirrels with my .50 Hawken. Then I got into the Senecas and now just hunt squirrels with my .36. Cannot relate to you, just how much fun it is and I really enjoy eating them .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Old Stony

Neat little rifles. I've had one for years and even used to shoot matches with it occasionally...and won ribbons pretty regularly. It has been sitting in a rack for a long time now, but I will have it till I croak.
Old February 22, 2018, 10:04 PM   #8
Beagle333

'Just found a single cav .440 mold, so I'll be set soon. I'm not going for tournaments, so I don't really need to shoot the super tight loads.

Pahoo, I agree with you about the squirrels.... tasty!! I have no idea how many hundreds I have eaten in my days, but I still get excited about a good squirrel hunt and also a good meal of them later.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 23, 2018, 02:27 AM   #9
bamaranger

congrats

Those little rifles are scarce, as well as their stablemates, the Cherokee.

Good for you.
Old February 24, 2018, 01:41 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

First thing you may want to consider. Polishing all that brass to a gleaming new 24 carrot look.
Nothing brings on my smile quicker than meeting some other Pilgrim back in the woods with a shiny new rifle putting their best bushwhacker moves on tree rats or free ranging speed beef.
Nice find there Charles.

Can you handle all that 45 power-house wrapped in a small Seneca package on your upper arm muscle?
Unlike your Renegade's this little Seneca is meant to fire off your upper arm not your shoulder. If you feel leery about or don't want to try shooting? Rest easy partner I'd be quite willing to spare ya'll any disheartening. Oh I'm quite willing to purchase so to help out a Alabamian B/P shooter.
Yup right out of your hands for a bit lesser in price than originally bought for.
Hopefully my Southern Charm isn't suspect tonight Chucky?
Old February 24, 2018, 03:26 AM   #11
Beagle333

haha. You're so helpful there Tom! Let me see if it's going to whip me too badly before I put it back on the ol' auction block. I'll bet this is quite the kitten, compared to the Renegade or Hawkens, but I do have your number if I decide I need to recoup "some" of my losses.
I think me and this one are going to be fast friends though! I won't even have to wait for my mold, the seller said he was going to throw in a box of balls as well.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 25, 2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Tidewater_Kid

That's a very nice looking rifle. I hope it's a joy to shoot.
Old February 27, 2018, 10:34 PM   #13
drobs

Seems like we need a range report.
Old February 28, 2018, 07:23 PM   #14
Beagle333

Yes we do. The seller didn't include a box of balls, as he had said, so that'll slow me down just a little bit as I procure a mold and find some time to cast some balls for it. I got a great deal on it though, so I'm not complaining about a few balls.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:56 PM   #15
Tidewater_Kid

I bought some from Track of the Wolf and was very happy with them.

Not sure what size .45 round balls work well in that rifle.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/2
Old February 28, 2018, 09:26 PM   #16
Beagle333

The postman actually brought my .440 mold tonight. (found one on ebay)
Now I just have to pour a few hot ones and I'm good.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 28, 2018, 10:25 PM   #17
Jackpro555

Great rifle so far. How much did you spend for this one? And whats the shooting range?
Old March 1, 2018, 09:37 PM   #18
Beagle333

I gave $300 for this one. I'm not sure what the range is. I usually don't shoot over 50 yards though. In the places where I hunt, it's often more like 30-35 yards. It's too thick to see much farther. I'm more of a swamp hunter.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 2, 2018, 01:30 AM   #19
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Heck had I known you could use some ball I would have sent you some. BTW: Southern Son: I have some .445 dia if your interested in trying? Maybe I can scout up a few Maxi's for yaw too_to try.
.445 Rod easy so long as your not trying to stuffing em down a 3 or 4-shot fouled barrel. Anywho

Get my best P/Ball accuracy with 2-FFg Gorex. Tried 3-FFFg it didn't target as well for me.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:48 AM   #20
reinert

B333,

I think you got a GREAT deal on your Seneca (IMO). I just lost the bid on a nice TC Patriot, and had bid substantially more than what you got your Seneca for. I always figured I needed a Patriot, but I'm still figuring after an auction...

The Patriot goes quite nicely with the Seneca (IMO). I've shot a few through the years, always borrowed, and always thought I should have one. Cool, comfortable in the hand, and very accurate. Still looking...
Old March 4, 2018, 06:28 PM   #21
Beagle333

I ran some roundball today. Now I have some balls on hand. Maybe next weekend I'll get around to actually shooting some of them!

(I made about 3X this many, this was right as I was getting started)

Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 5, 2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:18 AM   #22
eastbank

I have a Cherokee in .32 and two Seneca,s, a .36 and .45. nice handleing easy carrying rifles. I think there the best factory small bore rifles ever made and wish they had been made in flintlock, I would have bought several if they had.
Old March 11, 2018, 05:53 PM   #23
ThomasT

Very nice rifle. I have had my eye on one for a lot more than what you paid. And 45 is my favorite BP caliber. The 45 I have now is a Cabelas Hawken kit I bought many years ago for $129. I don't know if they even sell kits any more.

But that is my most shot BP rifle. But its heavy. Thats why I want the same gun you have. I also have a Pedersoli Scout Carbine in 45 on my want list. But those run around $750 now.

I had a Seneca in 36 caliber and I could kick my own butt for ever selling it. Boy howdy that gun was fun to shoot. I liked to shoot 357 hollow base wad cutter bullets out of it. They were like little hollow base Minnie Balls.

You may want to order one of the Lee molds that cast a 200gr REAL bullet. My 45 shoots those as well as it shoots round balls. Thats a little more bullet weight than the 50 caliber round ball.