The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 24, 2021, 06:06 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

Shipping guns via FedEx to FFL: questions

1. Am I required to declare to FedEx that I'm shipping a firearm at the time of shipment the same way I must declare a gun when checking baggage at the airport?

1.50 does FedEx charge any more money to ship guns than other types of cargo as slippers or TV sets using the same type of service?

2. Is it true that FedEx will not ship a handgun Ground from a non-licensed individual?

3. What FedEx service must I use if shipping a handgun as a non-licensed individual?

4. should I have the license number of the FFL I'm shipping to in case the carrier asks for it?

5. is there anything else a private individual should know about gun shipping?

Last edited by AlongCameJones; November 24, 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 24, 2021, 06:17 PM   #2
FITASC

1 - Yes, and if it is a storefront FFL, they will know when they pull up the address
2 - Not to my knowledge - weight, box size counts plus value
3- overnight, use your FFL, he can use USPS for a lot less
4 -it can't hurt
5- yes NEVER put any name with GUN in it on the label. I have always shipped to the buyer's name, C/O the FFL's name (not billy bob's Gun store, but Billy Smith) and then the FFL address. While the counter clerk might know, and in some cases the delivery person might know, the rest of the "handlers alone the way" do not need to know
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 24, 2021, 08:08 PM   #3
AlongCameJones

3- overnight, use your FFL, he can use USPS for a lot less

If my local gun shop is even willing to do this for me and he might charge a fee above shipping rates. He is a for-profit entity, not a charity. I have just emailed my local FFL about this. Stay tuned. Naturally, I want to get the lowest shipping costs possible. Being a non-licensee puts me through a lot of bureaucratic hoops already.

I plan to ship guns in their original box or case from the factory they came in. They have trademarks on them. FedEx at their website says any markings indicating a firearm (eg. Ruger or Mossberg trademarks) should be covered. Whenever I picked up guns at my FFL, the boxes were never wrapped.
Old November 24, 2021, 10:44 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
I plan to ship guns in their original box or case from the factory they came in. They have trademarks on them. FedEx at their website says any markings indicating a firearm (eg. Ruger or Mossberg trademarks) should be covered. Whenever I picked up guns at my FFL, the boxes were never wrapped.
I'll bet they came in a larger, plain, corrugated cardboard box. Pre-COVID-19 I used to hang around the shop at the range a lot. I've seen the FFL receive and unpack a LOT of guns. They all arrive in a plain, brown box.
Jeepaholic
Old November 25, 2021, 02:48 AM   #5
AlongCameJones

I just got a late email reply from my local gun shop's owner named Josh regarding shipping services.

"Unfortunately we don’t offer this service we don’t have time. You might have better luck with a smaller FFL who has the time and man power. Thank you."

All this dealer wants to do is sell guns (at no less than full mfr. listed retail) and collect big transfer fees all day long.

I have used this dealer above to do 7 paid FFL transfers for me over the past two years for guns I've bought online myself. They charge $40 per gun transfer. My town in SW Oklahoma is Lawton near Fort Sill army post. This is a small town with mostly pawn shops. I doubt the pawn shops want to mess with shipping.

I don't know what to do. My online handgun buyer is just going to have to pay the price for FedEx overnight shipping by me, I guess. Or come in person to my home to pick the gun up.

Extra! I've just discovered ShipMyGun.com online while doing a Google search. I've emailed them to see how they might help me. Bud'sGunShop.com runs this service.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; November 25, 2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old November 25, 2021, 06:19 AM   #6
MC 1911

Read the firearms shipping guide on GB. It explains everything.
Old November 25, 2021, 10:26 AM   #7
natman

Just an added bit of info:
If you are shipping a gun to an FFL to do a transfer to a buyer, be SURE to put the buyer's name on the label somewhere. Either Bill Buyer c/o FFL or ATTN: Bill Buyer.

Otherwise the FFL is going to have no idea who the package is for.
Old November 25, 2021, 07:30 PM   #8
cjwils

Some, if not most, FFLs in my area will no longer help a customer ship out a gun. They say it is too much trouble. Furthermore, I understand that Fedex has recently stopped shipping for non-FFLs. (Can someone confirm that? I see conflicting info on the internet). Non-FFLs cannot use the post office to ship a gun. That leaves only UPS. I understand that you are required to go to a regional UPS shipping center, not your local UPS store. For a handgun, UPS requires overnight shipping, which costs about $80. USP clerks in my area will require proof that the recipient is an FFL.
Old November 25, 2021, 07:55 PM   #9
ligonierbill

Correction: A non-FFL can certainly ship a long gun USPS. I've done it many times, and not surreptitiously. Handguns, you must be a FFL. Mine will still do it if I ask, and since you can use a fixed rate Priority Mail box, it's the cheapest way to go. That said, I now take handguns to a LGS on consignment. This shop charges 20% of the sale price, but it is very convenient. They have gotten good prices on the several they've sold for me. Could I have done better on Gunbroker? Maybe, and I still sell the occasional long gun there, but I go this route if I'm "unloading" a pistol.
Old November 25, 2021, 10:21 PM   #10
dogtown tom

Forget FedEx

FedEx recently changed its policies. Now only FFL's enrolled with their shipping program may ship firearms using FedEx.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...nd_US_2021.pdf

Quote:
Firearms
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

On behalf of customers holding an FFL who enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement and federal, state, or local government agencies, FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms, and replica firearms, all as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black
powder firearms (collectively “firearms”). Shipments containing firearms must be sent with the Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option.
FedEx Ground has an identical policy.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 26, 2021, 02:48 AM   #11
AzShooter

I just shipped a handgun using UPS. You have to go to their regional office, not the local store. You may want to check with the company you are shipping to. They may pay shipping both ways if it's for repair.

A gun has to be shipped 2nd Day Air which adds to the expense. I had to prove it was going to an FFL dealer by getting a copy of their FFL to give to UPS.
Old November 26, 2021, 02:27 PM   #12
Rob228

Quote:
The trigger guard webbing inside the pack automatically keeps the trigger finger off the trigger and extended forward while drawing.
I shipped a firearm for repair and that was not the case, took it to a regional store and they shipped it standard/slow. I have definitely heard the 2nd day air thing though, might just be for sales?
Old November 26, 2021, 02:43 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
AzShooter

A gun has to be shipped 2nd Day Air....
Quote:
Rob228
I shipped a firearm for repair and that was not the case, took it to a regional store and they shipped it standard/slow. I have definitely heard the 2nd day air thing though, might just be for sales?
Neither FedEx or UPS has ever permitted handguns to be shipped "2nd Day Air" per their published tariffs.
Since FedEx no longer allows firearm shipments except by enrolled FFL's, then lets look at the UPS firearm shipping policy:
https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/sh.../firearms.page
Quote:
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically:

UPS Next Day Air® Early
UPS Next Day Air®
UPS Next Day Air Saver®
FedEx called this level of service "Overnight".

UPS tariffs permit rifles and shotguns to be shipped as "Ground". (as did FedEx)

Quote:
AzShooter ......I had to prove it was going to an FFL dealer by getting a copy of their FFL to give to UPS.
No USPS regulation, no UPS or FedEx tariff have ever required showing anyyones FFL to anyone. Ever. Never. Not now, not then.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 27, 2021, 07:50 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Seems to me that the Op's questions ought to be directed to Fed Ex, not people on this forum.

Fed Ex and UPS are PRIVATE shipping companies, they can set about any requirements they wish over and above what Federal law requires.

Thanks to Federal rules and laws, we're pretty much stuck with having to do what ever the private shippers require and pay what ever they charge for the privilege of doing so.
Old November 27, 2021, 09:38 PM   #15
SIGSHR

Judging by the recent news stories about a large number of FedEx packages found dumped in a ravine, I would hold off using them until they provide a proper explanation.
Old November 28, 2021, 11:58 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Neither FedEx or UPS has ever permitted handguns to be shipped "2nd Day Air" per their published tariffs.
Since FedEx no longer allows firearm shipments except by enrolled FFL's, then lets look at the UPS firearm shipping policy:
Yet when S&W returned my handgun after a repair, it came 2nd day air; maybe they have an agreement with UPS?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 28, 2021, 07:39 PM   #17
dogtown tom

Quote:
FITASC
Yet when S&W returned my handgun after a repair, it came 2nd day air; maybe they have an agreement with UPS?
A carrier is free to allow exclusions or exemptions to its published tariffs.

Then again, folks ignore shipping tariffs and USPS regs every day.

If S&W doesn't tell the carrier what's in the box, the carrier doesn't know what's in the box.

Old December 5, 2021, 11:46 AM   #18
NeverEnough

You can still ship a firearm via Fedex
Old December 5, 2021, 07:08 PM   #19
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
Not according to their website, unless you are a FFL.
Did you recently ship one through their hub?

Jim
Old December 5, 2021, 07:23 PM   #20
dogtown tom

Quote:
NeverEnough You can still ship a firearm via Fedex
Again, you cannot.
See page 8
https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...nd_US_2021.pdf

Old December 7, 2021, 05:23 PM   #21
SF Mike

I have a C&R and shipped off a few things as I am unloading the collection. Handguns are complicated and I think that a dealer is often the best hassle free way for them, fees included.
Gunbroker offers a breakdown of dealers in various areas who will handle this.
Average appears to be $25-30.
Old December 8, 2021, 02:08 PM   #22
Billy the Kidder

I just sent a gun via FedEx on Monday, it has been delivered to Springfield at 10:35 this morning.
Maybe the rules are different if it's going to the manufacturer.

The label said:
FedEx 2Day-Deliver Weekday, Direct Signature Required
Old December 8, 2021, 10:26 PM   #23
L. Boscoe

Shipping guns via Fedex to FFL: questions

I tried to send a gun I had to a gunsmith who is an FFL, fedex would not ship it,
said it had to be shipped by a FFL, and that this is a NEW POLICY, some 7 days old.
Then had to go to regional UPS, not the storefront UPS, who charged $80 for
overnite, which is the only way they will ship it.
Sounds like you either ship pieces by separate mail, or get your FFL to ship for you.
Failing that, time for the politicians to rise UP!!!
Old December 9, 2021, 03:56 PM   #24
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy the Kidder
I just sent a gun via FedEx....
Geez! Didn't you read dogtown tom's post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
FedEx recently changed its policies. Now only FFL's enrolled with their shipping program may ship firearms using FedEx.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...nd_US_2021.pdf....
FedEx employees and agents (just as any business' employees and agents) will make mistakes or misunderstand their employers policies or otherwise screw up. So the guy at the counter could get it wrong, and therefore your personal experience with a busness cannot be taken as conclusive evidence of what the business' rules are.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 9, 2021, 08:34 PM   #25
FITASC

Quote:
If S&W doesn't tell the carrier what's in the box, the carrier doesn't know what's in the box.
Seriously?
The driver pulls up to S&W, the sender addy is SAW and their MA address. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what might be inside