The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 14, 2021, 12:58 PM   #1
stagpanther

Wolf 123 polyformance bulk

After getting delayed my shipment finally came in. I normally load all my ammo--but 9mm and 7.62 x 39 in bulk remain competitive with what I pay for components, so I bought a bulk box of the wolf 123 gr HP polyformance from ammo.com seeing if it was good enough for zombie apocalypse stash ammo for an AK. I shot a couple of groups this morning through my PSAK Zoekov just out of curiosity.

The batch I bought was dated having been made in August of this year--fresh out of the oven from Russia I assume. They claim something around 2450 to 2475 fps I think--my gun didn't quite meet that in the two groups I shot but still not far off. SD was right around 15 fps +/- for both 5 shot groups, and the best group of the two was around 1.5 MOA at 107 yds. That's using PSA's stock trigger which I would rate as 1 notch above terrible, but to be authenticate maybe AK triggers are supposed to be sucky.

No issues at all in the 10 shots I fired, seems like a very good value for most AK applications outside of precision match shooting (not even sure that exists with AK's anyway).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123 wolf poly velocitie labradar.jpg (41.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg wolf 123 poly 107 yds.jpg (103.8 KB, 165 views)
Old November 14, 2021, 02:39 PM   #2
stagpanther

I just shot two 5-shot groups using the wolf 123 HP out of my AR 47 (which has always shot tighter groups than my AK with my hand-loads) and was surprised that both groups were around 3.5 inches at 131 yds. I'm not sure why that is--could be a fluke or maybe the bore is a bit dirty.
Old November 14, 2021, 04:13 PM   #3
Butzbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I just shot two 5-shot groups using the wolf 123 HP out of my AR 47 (which has always shot tighter groups than my AK with my hand-loads) and was surprised that both groups were around 3.5 inches at 131 yds. I'm not sure why that is--could be a fluke or maybe the bore is a bit dirty.
Some rules to live by when purchasing ammo:
1. Never buy ammo with animal names.
2. Never buy ammo manufactured in countries where you wouldn’t drink the water.
3. Whilst observing numbers 1 and 2 above, there are only two times when you may have too much ammo: 1) When you are crossing a river. 2) When your house is on fire.
Old November 14, 2021, 04:19 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
Some rules to live by when purchasing ammo:
1. Never buy ammo with animal names.
2. Never buy ammo manufactured in countries where you wouldn’t drink the water.
3. Whilst observing numbers 1 and 2 above, there are only two times when you may have too much ammo: 1) When you are crossing a river. 2) When your house is on fire.
LOL
Old November 16, 2021, 02:01 PM   #5
ed308

The thing about that ammo, it’s dirty. I tried Wolf ammo for pistol and rifle in 3 Gun competitions but abandoned it due to malfunctions. I’m not a lover of keeping my firearms super clean. But it’s needed with that ammo. I had carbon buildup in my 3 Gun AR in places where I’ve never seen it buildup before. In sure it’s fine in that AK.
Old November 16, 2021, 02:41 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
The thing about that ammo, it’s dirty. I tried Wolf ammo for pistol and rifle in 3 Gun competitions but abandoned it due to malfunctions. I’m not a lover of keeping my firearms super clean. But it’s needed with that ammo. I had carbon buildup in my 3 Gun AR in places where I’ve never seen it buildup before. In sure it’s fine in that AK.
It does seem to shoot well in my AK--though I haven't disassembled the cover and piston tube yet for cleaning, but there's always lots of carbon in the piston tube, pretty harmless and doesn't threaten any operational reliability. I'm actually a bit OCD about keeping things clean (my guns that is, my house is a mess).
Old November 17, 2021, 02:03 PM   #7
stagpanther

I did a reality check this morning and swapped out the budget Hawke scope (which I've never liked) for a budget primary arms one--which I regard as being a decent budget scope. That seemed to make a difference on my AR47 and got this @ 102 yds. For the money, I consider this excellent bulk ammo, not quite as good as my handloads but only about .25 MOA off from my better ones.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6035.jpg (133.9 KB, 96 views)
Old November 17, 2021, 07:14 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

10 shots isn't enough for a statistically representative sample...

That being said, if you've found something that shoots 1.5MOA from a stock AK, get more of it!!!
While you can!
Old November 18, 2021, 01:06 PM   #9
bamaranger

+1

Yeah, if your AK is shooting into just over an inch at 100 with bulk ammo, you've got good one, and that batch of ammo is good too. AK ammo quality is all over the map.......15fps variation and 1 inch groups.....outstanding.

As some folks have been telling us for some time, some AK's anyhow, are accurate.....enough.
Old November 18, 2021, 02:32 PM   #10
stagpanther

I'll take it out again soon--right now I'm working on other "problem children." But the bulk wolf looks excellent to me.