The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 20, 2021, 09:52 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Biden bans russian ammo

August 20, 2021, Biden just signed executive order banning russian ammo, for the poisoning of Nalvany!!! WE are getting punished.

Just bought a case of 7.62x39 Tula before prices go thru the roof.

New sanctions imposed today under the CBW Act include:

1) Restrictions on the permanent imports of certain Russian firearms. New and pending permit applications for the permanent importation of firearms and ammunition manufactured or located in Russia will be subject to a policy of denial.

2) Additional Department of Commerce export restrictions on nuclear and missile-related goods and technology pursuant to the Export Control Reform Act of 2018.

https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-uni...eksey-navalny/

Last edited by Pistoler0; August 20, 2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old August 20, 2021, 10:36 PM   #2
WyMark

O M G

https://youtu.be/Z0GFRcFm-aY
Old August 20, 2021, 11:57 PM   #3
Pistoler0

Yea, laugh it up, but it is totally about gun control.

Biden lifts sanctions on the Russian oil pipeline, but imposes sanctions on ammo. That makes sense uh?, I wonder where the Russian government makes more money?

In the US, from 40% to 45% of the ammo sold is made in Russia. Its not only 7.62x39 and the Russian brands (Wolf, Tula, Barnaul, Monarch, Golden Tiger), they also rebrand for other manufacturers. In addition, steel cased ammo keeps the price of brass ammo in check.

Get ready for ammo prices to skyrocket

Last edited by Pistoler0; August 21, 2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old August 21, 2021, 02:08 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Once again, it seems that govt's solution is to punish people who had nothing to do with the problem.....
Old August 21, 2021, 04:24 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Clinton banned most Chinese ammo imports (as well as most Chinese small arms imports) over Tianenmen Square. Those bans are still in effect.

Obama banned some Russian ammo imports (and some Russian small arms imports) over the Russian actions in the Ukraine. Those bans are still in effect.

Biden has now banned any remaining Russian ammo/small arms imports that were still allowed under the Obama action.

These actions do have an effect on supply and therefore on prices. It's hard to know what the long term effect will be since imports from other countries could replace the lost supply and U.S. ammunition manufacturers will likely increase production capabilities if they perceive a permanent change in demand.

It's interesting to note, however, that the U.S. no longer has the capability to turn lead ore into lead metal. EPA restrictions made it infeasible to maintain smelting operations in the U.S. and the last smelter operating in the U.S. closed down in 2013.

Assuming that the same amount of ammo is purchased and used in the U.S., then any of that new supply that isn't from imports will be met by U.S. ammo makers. That would mean an increase in lead use/demand in the U.S. and since we don't have our own lead production, that means imports of lead would increase.

I guess what I'm saying is that however the lost supply is replaced, it's going to require imports--either to replace the manufactured ammo, or to bring in more lead for use in U.S. ammo production.
Old August 21, 2021, 12:14 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

On the matter of lead supply, I don't think there's any point to panic, just yet.

The closure of the last lead smelter in the US did diminish our raw capacity, but it didn't affect the lead market that much.

Before COVID turned the world upside down, we weren't buying or using very much NEWLY refined US lead.

Imported lead was cheaper, and the rest of the supply is from recycled lead, which we have a LOT of...
Old August 21, 2021, 12:25 PM   #7
Geezerbiker

Compared to what we were afraid chairman biden would do, if this is the worst of it, we should consider ourselves lucky...

Tony
Old August 21, 2021, 01:22 PM   #8
Joe-ker

According to Wikipedia, Tula quit manufacturing for Wolf in 2009, they now source from Europe. Maybe there will still be some players in this game but availability is gonna be tight nonetheless.
Old August 21, 2021, 02:26 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
On the matter of lead supply, I don't think there's any point to panic, just yet.
Just for the record, I have never made any post on any forum with the intent of causing panic and this post was no different.

The point is that no matter how the reduction in ammunition supply is replaced, it will require importation. Either the ammunition itself will be imported from the countries which are still allowed to export ammo to the U.S. or the lead to make the bullets will have to be imported since the U.S. no longer can smelt lead from ore.

It's just an observation on the fact that the U.S. no longer has the ability to put conventional ammunition (ammo with lead or lead-containing bullets) on the market without imports.
Old August 21, 2021, 02:39 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Already approved import permits can still fulfill the allowances on the permit, as long as it is done before the expiration date. (The longest of which ends in 2023, I believe.)

Tens of millions of rounds of Russian ammo will still be coming into the country, all while other countries get set up to take over production for the US market.

If you panic, you'll just be wasting your money. Or spending money now that could be better invested elsewhere.
Old August 21, 2021, 05:58 PM   #11
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Already approved import permits can still fulfill the allowances on the permit, as long as it is done before the expiration date. (The longest of which ends in 2023, I believe.)

Tens of millions of rounds of Russian ammo will still be coming into the country, all while other countries get set up to take over production for the US market.

If you panic, you'll just be wasting your money. Or spending money now that could be better invested elsewhere.
You make me feel better.
Really, I mean it. I hope your words are true.

Because my wife is going to divorce me if I keep buying cases of ammo.
Old August 21, 2021, 06:07 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Already approved import permits can still fulfill the allowances on the permit, as long as it is done before the expiration date.
Actually, every batch has to have its own permit. The permits take 4-6 weeks to receive approval. The ban goes into effect in 3 weeks.

As per the memo:

Quote:
New and pending permit applications for the permanent importation of firearms and ammunition manufactured or located in Russia will be subject to a policy of denial.
The permanent part is a bit confusing. Permanent importation means the product will stay here once shipped. This is to distinguish it from things being imported temporarily, as happens with tourism and such.
Old August 21, 2021, 06:46 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

For the record I did not mean to imply that anyone was promoting panic.

TO me, "not time to panic yet" is just a phrase indicating its not time to panic, yet, and nothing more. Apologies if I was unclear.

Quote:
It's just an observation on the fact that the U.S. no longer has the ability to put conventional ammunition (ammo with lead or lead-containing bullets) on the market without imports.
I understand your point, and agree, we do not have the ability to dig lead ore from the ground and turn it into ammunition. However, I must point out that there is another source for lead that is not an import, and that is recycled lead.

Industry will, of course, by preference, use what is cheaper, and that will most likely be imported lead. Just pointing out that there is another source that isn't an import.

IF the Govt should pass a law stating imported lead could no longer be used for bullets, other than price, nothing would really change, ammo makers would buy the recycled lead that they had to, and imported lead would go to other industries not restricted from using it.
Old August 21, 2021, 07:39 PM   #14
shurshot

"WE are getting punished."(OP).

Are we? Ammo from other nations isn't banned, just selling like hotcakes. The intent, the way I read it, was to hit the Russian's in the pocket book, deny them profit. I would prefer to buy American made ammo anyhow.
Old August 21, 2021, 08:35 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post

Are we? Ammo from other nations isn't banned, just selling like hotcakes. The intent, the way I read it, was to hit the Russian's in the pocket book, deny them profit. I would prefer to buy American made ammo anyhow.
To hit Russians in the Pocket? By banning ammo? Come on Man, there are many more ways to hit Russia in the Pocket. And why ammo if that is the case. Russia exports more than just ammo.
And regardless of if you use Russian Ammo, many of us do. Sorry, I enjoy a tremendous saving using Wolf and Tula.

Bottom line. Things right now are FUBAR!
Old August 21, 2021, 09:30 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I understand your point, and agree, we do not have the ability to dig lead ore from the ground and turn it into ammunition. However, I must point out that there is another source for lead that is not an import, and that is recycled lead.
Correct. But unless we currently have a glut of recycled/recyclable lead that can be put into ammo production, lead will have to be imported.

Given that demand for lead in the U.S. was already rising, it seems unlikely that there are piles of it sitting around waiting to be recycled.
Old August 21, 2021, 10:39 PM   #17
Pistoler0

Quote:

I don't think that was the intent, because he lifted sanctions on the Russian gas pipeline.
Old August 21, 2021, 10:43 PM   #18
shurshot

It appears to be the intent, a targeted hit in the pocket book.
This is why sanctions are imposed... financial punishment.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/in-d...ons-on-russia/

Last edited by shurshot; August 21, 2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old August 22, 2021, 01:47 AM   #19
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:

It appears to be the intent, a targeted hit in the pocket book.
This is why sanctions are imposed... financial punishment.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/in-d...ons-on-russia/
Sanctions! Lol, Yes we could talk about sanctions and lifted sanctions etc.
I would love to comment on your post. But that would be getting very political, which due to the rules I will back off now. . But I will just say again. Right now everything seems to be heading right into being FUBAR!
Quite frankly, I am worried and concerned now about much more than ammo.
Old August 22, 2021, 09:50 AM   #20
Aspect

I don't think Wolf is going anywhere. I found this blurb on Wikipedia

"Since 2009 The Tula Cartridge Plant and Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant (owned by Tula Cartridge Works since 2005) no longer manufacture cartridges for Wolf due to legal disputes.[2] Wolf now uses new European suppliers."
Old August 22, 2021, 09:55 AM   #21
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Clinton banned most Chinese ammo imports (as well as most Chinese small arms imports) over Tianenmen Square. Those bans are still in effect.

Obama banned some Russian ammo imports (and some Russian small arms imports) over the Russian actions in the Ukraine. Those bans are still in effect.

Biden has now banned any remaining Russian ammo/small arms imports that were still allowed under the Obama action.
In all of these the US government (under a Democratic administration) reduced the supply of ammo in the US, thereby furthering their goal of making gun ownership as expensive and difficult as possible.

Whatever was the diplomatic issue of the day was used as an excuse.
Old August 22, 2021, 11:16 AM   #22
Joe-ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspect View Post
I don't think Wolf is going anywhere. I found this blurb on Wikipedia

"Since 2009 The Tula Cartridge Plant and Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant (owned by Tula Cartridge Works since 2005) no longer manufacture cartridges for Wolf due to legal disputes.[2] Wolf now uses new European suppliers."
I found that too. Promising, but we are still screwed with short supplies and increased prices for a long time I’m afraid.
Old August 22, 2021, 12:34 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

I wonder what percentage of the Russian GNP comes from ammunition export sales to the United States?? What portion of that revenue goes to the Russian Federal govt?

Somehow, I'm thinking that it can't be a very large percentage.
I gotta wonder, if the REAL reason is to punish the Russian govt why bullets? Why not caviar or oil, or some other product that actually produces enough income that removing some or all of it would matter???

I understand the idea behind import bans, and "economic sanctions", but is there anywhere in the world in the past century where, by themselves, they have actually worked and delivered the desired result???

I can't think of any.

Hasn't seemed to change Iran's policies. Didn't seem to get Saddam out of power in Iraq....how long did we have sanctions in place against South Africa? Was it sanctions alone that created changes there? I don't think so.

Fidel Castro kept control of Cuba until old age finally took him out of power, despite a nearly complete prohibition of the US buying anything from Cuba for what...40+ years???

Economic sanctions against Imperial Japan didn't work out the way we figured, either. Rather something quite different, as we learned on Dec 7 1941.

Banning US import of Russian guns and ammunition is a symbolic gesture with most likely about zero impact on world politics, and probably very low impact on the Russian economy.

What it is, is an easy (executive order) way to prohibit SOME of the guns and ammo imported into the US, without "threatening" our Second Amendment rights and igniting again the domestic gun control fight.

The people being affected and the amount of money "lost" are insignificant to world leaders, both ours and theirs. They claim this is a "foreign policy" matter, but I think we all know what it really is, behind the smoke and mirrors...
Old August 22, 2021, 12:58 PM   #24
Carl the Floor Walker

Lol, gee what a coincidence.

https://www.everytown.org/press/brea...al-convention/
Old August 22, 2021, 02:02 PM   #25
'88Scrat

Time to get a new hobby...

The price of ammo in the current market already makes it so expensive just to punch holes in paper or bust some clay at the skeet range that I only go once or twice per month and now this?

I (and I suspect many others) literally can't afford the 2021 market. The price of ammo was already insane, and now the bargain ammo is going away?!

Me and some friends went to the range last month and shot about a combined total of 400 rounds of 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62x51. Afterwards we added everything up and including range fees we spent just over $350 for an hour of shooting between the 3 of us!

This isn't sustainable unless your loaded with $$$$. If the goal was to make it so expensive that people would just give up, this might have been the final nail in the coffin. I know of at least 1 collector locally who sold a bunch of stuff on GB because the firearms became so costly to take to the range he claimed it just wasn't worth it.