The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 29, 2021, 02:07 PM   #76
Carl the Floor Walker

High ammo prices are here to stay for a long time. Not only the fact crime that is rising because of nonsense like de-funding the police etc. but also because every thing has seen a price increase. Copper, Steel, lumber, grocery items, gas Prices, Import shipping cost increasing, container import shipping cost and prices on everything and on and on. It is a different world and changing for the worst each month. I suspect that hopefully they will start to manufacturer more rimfire 22.cal. Even if now paying for a box of 50 rds is about the same cost the range 9mm was in normal times, it may be the only way high volume shooters can at least make it to the range as frequently as we did before.
I have a hard time seeing post on this forum and posters bragging about how cheap they found a box of 9mm at $29.00 or close to that price. My God that is a lot of money. I really believe that the advertising of such prices are going to do nothing but aid the ammo manufactures in the long term. People are adjusting to those prices, it is no longer sticker shock. Ammo manufacturers are not out to help the gun community, they are in it for the money. And they will milk it anyway they can. And this is not good for the sport.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 29, 2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 29, 2021, 06:26 PM   #77
gaseousclay

Quote:
Ammo manufacturers are not out to help the gun community, they are in it for the money. And they will milk it anyway they can. And this is not good for the sport.
I disagree. Raw materials have gone up in price as you mentioned earlier in your post. Ammo companies have to draw a profit to stay in business, otherwise no ammo. I watched a video on YouTube where an ammo company spokesman said the cost of primers alone costs .15, compared to two years ago when they were .02. Thing is, demand is still high and will continue to be high. If my LGS dropped their ammo prices to pre-pandemic levels with no limits I guarantee we’ll be back to square one
Old May 29, 2021, 06:31 PM   #78
sfwusc

Higher prices are needed right now to maintain inventory. You ideal want to sell out right before the next shipment comes in. When you have people waiting in line for the store to open and it sells out in minutes even with limits —- the price is to far below market.

That was the case just a month or so ago. Either supply is up or retailers have increased prices enough to keep it from selling out in minutes.

9mm less than 50 cents a round doesn’t last on the shelves. .223 below 60 cents around doesn’t last either.
Old May 29, 2021, 06:36 PM   #79
sfwusc

Let’s say the fair market price right now with current supply for 9mm is 55 cents a round.

Would you rather stores charge that price or folks buy it up and resell it for 55 cents a round or have limits (which were failing at 35-40 cents a round).

I like having it available even if I don’t buy it.
Old May 29, 2021, 08:41 PM   #80
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker
Ammo manufacturers are not out to help the gun community, they are in it for the money. And they will milk it anyway they can. And this is not good for the sport.
Do us all a favor and let us know when you set up your own non-profit ammunition manufacturing plant. Can't wait to buy 9mm Ammo for whatever price you think is reasonable.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 29, 2021, 11:20 PM   #81
Ignition Override

Don't many ammo companies - whether part of a corporate group or not - have shareholders? One would imagine that they do.

I wouldn't want a serious fraction of a mutual fund invested in companies managed by people whose indifference towards the highest profits today could mean bankruptcy three years from now during a recession.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:58 PM   #82
kenny53

I saw some earlier this week at CAL Ranch. One box per caliber so I could buy a box of 50 rounds for $4.99 or brick of 500 rounds for $45. They had some 308 win, .223, and 7.62x54. There was zero handgun ammo.
Old May 30, 2021, 01:36 AM   #83
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle View Post
Do us all a favor and let us know when you set up your own non-profit ammunition manufacturing plant. Can't wait to buy 9mm Ammo for whatever price you think is reasonable.
Sorry you missed the point, but that is fine.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 30, 2021 at 03:53 AM.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:12 AM   #84
sfwusc

The point is that if they don’t make the most money they can —- they might not be in business in the figure. There are already not a lot of options. There are a handful of companies that make brass and a handful that make primers.

Lose one of them and prices will go through the roof.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:23 AM   #85
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwusc View Post
The point is that if they don’t make the most money they can —- they might not be in business in the figure. There are already not a lot of options. There are a handful of companies that make brass and a handful that make primers.

Lose one of them and prices will go through the roof.
Lol, prices are already through the roof. I have a hunch that 22.cal pistols and revolvers may be increasing in sales down the road. Thankfully I have a large stock of 22.cal and I shoot Air Pistols and rifles very often.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:26 AM   #86
gaseousclay

Quote:
prices are already through the roof.
They're through the roof because demand skyrocketed in the last year. Another thing to consider, Vista Outdoors (and other ammo companies) are working at full capacity. In the case of Vista Outdoors, they sunk $81 million in acquiring Remington. This means patents, equipment and the hiring of new employees that need to be trained. They need to recoup that money. And it bears repeating, raw materials also went up because of demand. You can't realistically expect any ammo company to drop their prices to pre-pandemic levels and stay in business. That's not how capitalism works. The markets will eventually correct themselves. The silver lining in all of this is that there are now millions of new gun owners out there who are starting to realize that law enforcement and/or the government will not protect you in times of need. Take that as a win
Old May 31, 2021, 04:58 PM   #87
ghbucky

I saw an article, I'd have to search for it, but someone interviewed a couple of the manufacturers and they are claiming that they are backordered for close to 2 years worth of ammo, so I doubt we are going to see any improvement for a while.
Old May 31, 2021, 05:06 PM   #88
Carl the Floor Walker

A friend of mine called me yesterday to go with him to test out a new Micro 9mm. Fortunately we have a major LGS about a mile away. They were out of just about every thing. No 9mm or 380. What they did have was plenty of Shotgun ammo. I bought 500 20ga bird shot and 100 rds of various boxes of 12ga. Buck shot at reasonable prices.
By the way, tested out the FN 503. Had to say I was really impressed. Nicely built with quality and smooth shooter. Grip a little thicker than my preference, but the grip material was stellar. Easy gun to shoot, and low recoil and muzzle flip. Depending on hand size, this gun could be a winner for some folks.
Old May 31, 2021, 07:17 PM   #89
HWS

Availability is getting better, slowly, and prices are dropping, slowly where I am.
Old June 1, 2021, 01:22 PM   #90
Logs

Multiple places this weekend had 9mm for under $30 per box.

Still not seeing much Deer Hunting ammo like 270, 30-30, 30-06 or Turkey loads on shelves, but handgun ammo is coming back some.
Old June 4, 2021, 07:00 AM   #91
Logs

Nice Sale at KY Gun Co...

Old June 4, 2021, 08:03 AM   #92
gaseousclay

Still surprised there’s virtually no hunting rounds on shelves. You can still get it online but it’s insanely expensive. I’m assuming that since it’s not hunting season there’s little demand for these rounds.
Old June 4, 2021, 03:27 PM   #93
viciouskitty

Locally here in Houston I have been consistently seeing 9mm and 223 on the shelves. 223 is hovering around 60 cents a shot and 9mm even steel cased ammo is going for 38-40 cents a round. It seems they recently raised the prices as I was buying the same ammo like 3 weeks ago for 10 or so cents less. I personally stopped buying because it was to high for me to stomach at this time, coming back to visit I still see the ammo sitting there so I think the price has risen high enough to discourage people from buying.
Old June 4, 2021, 05:01 PM   #94
Logs

I was in a fun shop today and the owner said they have a bunch of 9mm coming in at better prices. He had Blazer Brass on the shelf for $29.99 today. I then hit a local pawn shop and they had Blazer Brass for $40 a box. I figure when the locals see the KY Gun ad at $27.99 it may slow down the buying at $40.
Old June 26, 2021, 07:24 AM   #95
gaseousclay

Tons of Tula 9mm steel cased ammo at Scheels yesterday. Didn’t check the price since I don’t buy steel cased ammo. They actually had 30.06 ammo as well which I haven’t seen in months
Old June 26, 2021, 07:35 AM   #96
Carl the Floor Walker

Went and shot the LCP and LCR at the local gun shop and range the other day. The place was dead. Not many firearms other than some shotguns and rifles and mostly SCCY's. All revolvers sold out other than some Heritage and Ruger Wranglers.
No centerfire pistol ammo. Talked to the owner and he said that it always slows down this time of year, so may get some more centerfire in as demand will not pickup again until fall.
Last week I did pickup 20ga birdshot $119.00 for 250 rds. This week that pallet was still had plenty left so bought another 250 rds.
So I think you may see more availability and lower prices through summer. If you have not stocked up before, I would advise and buy as much as you can afford now, even if paying so much more than normal times.
Old June 26, 2021, 12:19 PM   #97
Ignition Override

I don’t know… but then I don’t fall for the rumors that the US govt. tracks how many cases of ammo we buy on the Internet (and it’s legal) . Some guys on AKfiles believe that "X-Files" stuff…and also that we’re gonna start “dropping” from the vaccines——

Just ordered a case of 7.62x39 at $275/1,000 rds. Arrived on front porch yesterday (didn't want my reserve of 7.62x39 to get below "multiple" 1,000s of rounds). >>> CLT Ammo only offered this for Father's Day weekend. <<<

Logs: Thank you.
That's a nice ad - will help reduce some anxiety.

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 26, 2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old July 1, 2021, 08:08 AM   #98
Logs

9mm seems to be dropping the fastest. Blazer has been from $49.99 to $69.99. Good to see under $20 now. Hope it keeps going. Ad from KY Gun Co 4th of July flier

Old July 2, 2021, 05:33 PM   #99
Prof Young

22 LR and 30-06

Today I paid 5 cents a around for Federal 22 LR at a WalMart and then $1.50 a round for 30-06 (Kore Lokt and Winchester) from a gun show dealer.

Hmmmmmmm . . . .

Life is good
Prof Young
Old July 4, 2021, 12:38 PM   #100
Ignition Override

What’s wrong with buying online?

Ammoman has a case of 7.62z39 at $320/1,000, Includes Shipping.

Finally, JGSales and at least one additional seller dropped its Lowest case price from $380 to $330.

How do people save while gradually “preparing for next time” if they don’t use the economics of buying a case, now and then?