The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 22, 2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Dauntae

7.62x39 AR upper

I’ve been loving the AR but wanted to get a different upper, So many choices but lately it seems since the Russian ammo band the ammo has gotten seriously cheaper coming from all the EX Soviet countries now and I’ve even seen 20 rnds for $5.99 so figured cheap shooting would be fun, I DO also have a SKS but since I built the AR I really kind of dislike shooting that now, Figured I could get much better accurate range in the AR platform than a SKS and have some fun at the range cheaply compared to 5.56, What are your thoughts on this?
Old November 22, 2021, 02:19 PM   #2
stagpanther

I think they are very wise thoughts, I just bought a 1000 rounds of wolf polyformance and it shoots very well out of both my AK and AR47--and it really is competitive with the cost of my reloads, especially since my supply of primers is dwindling and it's starting to look like there may be no end to the drought anytime soon--perhaps years. People say there is a ban on imported Russian ammo--the stuff I bought clearly says made in Russia and appears to have been made this year as far as I can tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6068.jpg (228.8 KB, 182 views)
Old November 22, 2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Dauntae

I think the trick on the ammo is it’s getting exported to these now free from the Soviet rule and being shipped here, Although a middleman there comtries are still making profit on what they pay Russia for it so all the ban did was change whoget some of the profits
Old November 22, 2021, 02:40 PM   #4
Ed4032

That’s my experience. More fun, more accurate, more familiar controls. I could go on and on this direction. The cons are ……. Hold on I’m stumped uhhh oh well.

Ok edit. One issue. Over 25 rounds in a mag and they bind against each other. FTF now happens. Use brass ammo and still an issue.

Last edited by Ed4032; November 22, 2021 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I’m stupid
Old November 22, 2021, 06:49 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Get good mags
Old November 22, 2021, 07:08 PM   #6
Dauntae

VERY unfortunate in my state, Either I run slightly illegal or I have a fixed 10 rnd mag. My state really sucks but have a great job with 5 weeks paid vaca and a house here so moving isn’t such a option, I however have a drop in trigger that comes out easily and can change back to 5.56 in 10 min if I take my time but I’m working on a pre ban at some point and that will be getting the new upper if it happens, now to figure if I buy complete upper or build it….. it’s Massachusetts the commie state.
Old November 22, 2021, 11:30 PM   #7
Joe-ker

Very pleased with mine thus far. Wolf ammo performs well.

What I’ve learned from others and followed:

Good mags are key……C products duramags

I got the 30rds and I usually only put 20 in as that’s what a box is.

Enhanced firing pin is a must
Old November 23, 2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Dauntae

Right now Bear creek has some decent deals on complete uppers and has the enhanced firing pins included (read about that already) but not sure if I want the traditional dust cover with rear charging handle or side charging handle, they actually have a left handed one also which is nice as I have damage to my right eye so had to reteach myself to shoot lefty.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/cal...al-flash.htmlI have
Old November 23, 2021, 04:32 PM   #9
Joe-ker

Having to get the wrench out to remove side charge handle to disassemble is a dealbreaker for me.
Old November 23, 2021, 08:42 PM   #10
Dauntae

Joe-ker that is a really great point I haven’t thought of that, The rear charging handle is a touch more $$$ but might be worth it.
Old November 23, 2021, 10:39 PM   #11
oldmanFCSA

I bought a 7.62X39 upper for my AR-15 when I was able to buy 7000 rounds of Wolf FMJ and HP ammo for $67.00/thousand rounds.

Wish I had more ammo = down to about 2500 rounds.
The AR-15 in 7.62X39 with a 0.310" barrel shoots Wolf ammo GREAT !!!
Old November 23, 2021, 11:13 PM   #12
Joe-ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanFCSA View Post
I bought a 7.62X39 upper for my AR-15 when I was able to buy 7000 rounds of Wolf FMJ and HP ammo for $67.00/thousand rounds.

Wish I had more ammo = down to about 2500 rounds.
The AR-15 in 7.62X39 with a 0.310" barrel shoots Wolf ammo GREAT !!!
Dammit man! What I wouldn’t give for those prices again. Any idea when that was?
Old November 24, 2021, 05:46 PM   #13
oldmanFCSA

Sportsmans Guide in S. St.Paul, MN

About 2002 or so.

Wish I would have had more money to spend then - did get slightly in trouble as I had it shipped to my place of employment.
Old November 25, 2021, 01:37 AM   #14
Ignition Override

Ban on Russian ammo?

Neither a firm ban, or prohibition has been announced by the State Dept---
unless they clarified something--- which somebody at the AKfiles already would have documented and quoted. This assumed ban, so far, is tentative, or speculation.

The State Dept. language in August referred to future renewals of permits to import:
"...will be subject to denial..". No words such as ban or prohibition etc were used.

"subject to" can be open to interpretation.

Various importers have 'permits' (call it whatever you want) , which have ...different time spans of importation... meaning that no two time periods/spans are the same.

It could be months from now before the first renewal is "due"....then it might be a few More months, before the Next renewal (for a different company) becomes due for continuation.

An AR in 7.62x39 might be as fun and reliable as my Czechpoint VZ-58 and four imported AKMs.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 26, 2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old November 27, 2021, 05:07 PM   #15
kymasabe

I have a BCA side charger (though mine is .223 Wylde), it's one allen screw to remove the side charger handle, disassembly really isn't a big deal. Mine runs great. Best $219 I've spent in a long time.