The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2021, 01:48 PM   #26
lugerstew

Finally got to go to the range today to test 9mm and blue dot

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Went to the range today, was a great brisk sun shiny morning, about 20 deg. and no wind.
I did the 9mm/blue dot load workup with my glock 26 about a 3 inch barrel.
I'm not positive to say which load is the greatest, from what I can tell, blue dot works, goes bang, but maybe not the best choice for 9mm. My velocities and sd numbers were all over, and the empty brass flew out anywhere from 4ft to 10ft away, and all loads had a pretty stout recoil, but no signs of over pressure with an Extreme 115g RN plated bullet.
This was at 7yds with a rest and most were 7 rounds each. The groups were just ok, but of course I am not the best pistol shooter. They did seem to open up larger at 8.2 and 8.4 grains. I guess if I had to choose, 7.4, 7.6 and 8.0 would be ok for me.
I was surprised at the over 1300fps out of a short 3 inch barrel, I would like to try it again in my 9mm carbine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9mm glock 26 and blue dot target.jpg (453.0 KB, 14 views)
Old November 18, 2021, 03:14 PM   #27
cdoc42

Thanks, Lugerstew!
Coincidentally, this morning I test-fired the rounds I made last night. Temp was about 60 degrees - a big jump from recent lows.

Blue Dot was the winner. 5 shots at 15 yards from a rest = 1.39" but 4 of them measured 0.644."
CFE Pistol was a bummer -2 rounds touching in the bull but the other 3 had a 3" spread between them
HP-38 - 5 shots were in a 1.5" group.

This with the Berry 124 gr Hybrid HP seated at 1.125". I didn't chrono them but the CFE-Pistol cases were kicked the farthest. Maybe a drop in the powder charge would improve that but I think I'll wait until I use up all the Blue Dot.
Old November 18, 2021, 03:20 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

Just be careful, most plated bullets, unless they are the thick plate variety, don't like being pushed over 1250fps. That could be the cause of accuracy issues
Old November 18, 2021, 06:06 PM   #29
lugerstew

Thanks Shadow9mm

That could very well be the reason that those groups started to open up, I was probably starting to push those plated bullets past their comfort zone. My comfort zone also, I don't care to see 9mm, 115g bullets passing 1300fps, I start to get a little nervous.
Old November 18, 2021, 06:15 PM   #30
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerstew View Post
Thanks Shadow9mm

That could very well be the reason that those groups started to open up, I was probably starting to push those plated bullets past their comfort zone. My comfort zone also, I don't care to see 9mm, 115g bullets passing 1300fps, I start to get a little nervous.
I like go push hard. In 9mm I got my berrys 124g rn up over 1250 with power pistol. Backed it down to an average of 1225.

Use to be a die hard 115, but now I only load 124s. Looking into trying some 147s once primers start coming back

Last edited by Shadow9mm; November 18, 2021 at 06:47 PM.