The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 2, 2020, 09:37 AM   #1
mj30wilson

Need help deciding

I have narrowed my choice of handgun for carry and plunging down to three guns.
Sig xcarry
Sig P210 carry
Beretta Wilson combat centurion tac

What do you all think I would be most happy with as a general all purpose gun. Carry in winter, great trigger Etc
Old June 2, 2020, 10:14 AM   #2
stinkeypete

What “General all purpose” means is somewhat subjective. Here is my take-

Sig Xcarry- no, you already have a carry pistol. Top shelf Double action striker military sidearm but if you wanted a huge combat pistol you would not be itching for semi custom.

Beretta Wilson Centurion- no. These are selling used for cheap and everyone whimpering “but it’s a Wilson Combat...” and it’s SO nice they want it gone. aluminum frame Double action hammer. Even the US wanted it gone.

Sig p210 Carry for the win. 1. Excellent bragging rights- you can’t even buy one yet. It’s single action, limited holsters but you can get parts forever. 2. It should be accurate enough to cover range duty and field use including small to medium critters and will wallop a tin can. You could carry it but it’s over 30oz and expensive enough to be worth stealing from you. It’s an aluminum frame Commander sized P210! It’s not a 1911!

Negatives: you can’t buy it and it’s not a 1911.

Honestly, I am careful to never look at p210s because that’s the sort of thing that could deplete my 1911 cookie jar to full empty.

There are some nice 1911s in that price range.

Last edited by stinkeypete; June 2, 2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old June 2, 2020, 12:15 PM   #3
mj30wilson

I was leaning towards the P210 carry but the Wilson has such great reviews.
X carry also has great reviews and optics capability but not sold on optics on carry guns yet as it is just more real-estate to hide.
Old June 2, 2020, 01:13 PM   #4
gwpercle

Select the gun you shoot best .

In dire situations you want hits , misses do nothing for you but deplete ammo .
Don't bet your life on a battery powered anything ... gunfights happen fast and you don't have time for gadgets ...

Gary
Old June 2, 2020, 05:45 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
Select the gun you shoot best .
If mj30wilson's residential circumstances are anywhere near like mine are, it's highly unlikely that it would be practical, if not virtually impossible, to do what you're suggesting (shooting a bunch of handguns to see which one he shoots "best"). That's one reason why folks visit gun sites on the internet-to see if other people's experiences are useful for their needs and expectations.
Old June 3, 2020, 06:58 PM   #6
KLCane

This was not one of your choices, but I am loving the Shield 2.0. It's thin and lightweight. Great feel to it. Comfortable to carry. Shoots great. A really fun pistol.
Old June 4, 2020, 05:59 AM   #7
mj30wilson

Someone at my work mentioned the staccato 2011 anyone have any expertise with these? Compared to my other choices how would this stack up?
Old June 4, 2020, 11:26 AM   #8
stinkeypete

Where do you live?
Staccato used to be STI. They make double stack 1911's in Georgetown Texas.

I buy semi-custom or custom guns based on either knowing exactly who I want and why, or because they live near me so I can go talk to them face to face. If you are dropping $2k on a semi custom I like knowing I can drive to the gunsmith if I have any problems.

You've gone from a German single stack target pistol to a Texas 2011.

You tell me... will the value be in 1911's that shoot 9mm but easily convert to .38 super... or will people go back to .45acp if there is a magazine capacity restriction in the future?
Old June 4, 2020, 06:31 PM   #9
mj30wilson

I live in Missouri
I want a quality gun that is at home shooting on the range and as a lightly carry piece. I have a down n dirty edc but want to spoil myself with a nice accurate piece.
Old June 4, 2020, 09:24 PM   #10
stinkeypete

Ed Brown is in Perry Mo
Nighthawk and Wilson Combat are in berryville Ar
Springfield and Rock River (not Rock island) are across the border in Geneseee Illinois
Les Baer is in leclaire Iowa

Top shelf custom / semi custom outfits. I bet i am missing some.

I’m considering much the same thing although I should stop window shopping and just get to the range and blow some smoke out of what I have as projects right now!

Last edited by stinkeypete; June 4, 2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old June 5, 2020, 06:14 PM   #11
gwpercle

Carry something you don't mind not getting back .
Your gun will be taken as evidence , held until the trial , held during all the appeals and used as evidence in the family's suit against you for the killing of their loved one .

My daughter's 44 special S&W used to defend herself during an armed robbery , after bouncing around in the evidence room for 10 years ... just disappeared .. lost track of it , gone ... Sorry ! She never got it back and was never compensated because you have to hire a lawyer and sue the city , and that takes more money she doesn't have .

There is a good chance you won't get it back...so make sure your gun isn't valuable and you won't mind losing it .
This is a real experience not a story .

Gary