The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2018, 07:02 PM   #26
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Selling them would end in nothing but regret!
Trading them in on something new is always an option. I have 4 pistols I am going to drop off at the shop next week on consignment. They only take 10% if you take store credit, that way I keep gun money in the guns and get a new smile.

I have sold or traded 47 so far, there are not any I want back. I have some in the safe I wish I had never bought though.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:11 PM   #27
peterg7

I get rid of personal possessions I don’t use, including firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 13, 2018, 08:25 AM   #28
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I have some in the safe I wish I had never bought though.
I hear ya brother..finally was able to sell the 'strawberry' LCP..never really liked that thing..Lost a fair amount of $, since I 'upgraded' it with a recoil spring, grip, mags, etc but..maybe 'she' will like it more than me..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 13, 2018, 08:51 AM   #29
RUT

>>Lost a fair amount of $, since I 'upgraded' it with a recoil spring, grip, mags, etc<<

That's the story of my life! :-(
Old December 14, 2018, 12:06 AM   #30
Adventurer 2

As my salary grew, I sold off my early less expensive firearms for nicer ones - last rifle sold was a boat paddle 270 (bought it at a drug store) replaced with a Nosler 270. I have a Beretta CX Storm Carbine in 45 that sits in the safe but I can’t bring myself to sell it.
Old December 16, 2018, 09:28 AM   #31
lockedcj7

I have sold lots of guns over the years and only regret a few. I do have some heirloom guns that don't get shot much like a baby browning. I won't sell it because of its place in my family history but it's not fun to shoot. I also have a Ruger Old Army that I love shooting but takes forever to clean. I almost never have that kind of time.
Old December 16, 2018, 01:17 PM   #32
Mike38

I have 3 guns I'll never sell, attached to them because they were inherited. One more that is a custom built that I'll never sell. The rest, well they are only tools to me. Trading or selling tools is not a problem.
Old December 16, 2018, 04:15 PM   #33
chaim

I don't know that I'd sell those you have. Sounds like they represent a good time in your life (bullseye shooting) and are also semi-rare guns. I say that as someone who thinks it is OK to sell guns that you don't like, or to help you get into something you want more.

I have several I haven't shot in years too. Mine are very different from yours though (not very valuable) and the main reason I don't sell is how little I'd get for them. A S&W 442 (I don't like shooting it, for how often I pocket carry my SIG P290 works fine), a Kel Tec Pf-9 (unreliable, and no fun to shoot), a Ruger LCP (not fun to shoot, non-existent sights- I just got a Hogue grip and a Crimson Trace so it should help both), a 2" Rossi 461 (unreliable, not particularly fun to shoot), and a 3" Rossi 461 (I want to like it, but I don't trust it due to the trouble I had with the 2"). I keep them since they are worth so little, but then again, even if each is only worth $100, that is $100 I don't otherwise have and they could together get me a nice chunk of the way towards the Kimber K6s and SIG P365 which are going to replace those guns.
Old December 16, 2018, 04:33 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

Easy solution. Plan a range day with just those guns, and follow through on it. Then do it again next month. Again, again, etc, etc.
You don't have to be shooting competitions to enjoy accurate guns.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 17, 2018, 02:05 PM   #35
larryf1952

I don't buy guns with the intention of selling them. But, having said that, if I no longer shoot or need a gun, it is liable to find itself on the free market. The only gun that I've sold and then regretted was my Python.

I only regretted that sale because I wished that I had waited another 4 or 5 years, so that I could've gotten another $2K out of it.
Old December 17, 2018, 03:47 PM   #36
SIGSHR

In my case, most of them. Of all the handguns I have sold there are only 2 I haven't missed. Many-my Ortgies .25, my Mauser M1914 and CZ27 are strictly collectibles.
Old December 17, 2018, 04:58 PM   #37
k4swb

I've got one I'd love to get rid of.
It is a Rem 700 varmint that started out as in .222 Rem. I had it rechambered in .222 Haney, a wildcat that no one has ever heard of except the person that chambered it and me. There is a picture of one on the net somewhere but no info.

VERY tight neck, sharp shoulder (37^) that is blown forward and has to be outside trimmed and it will not fit in a .222 Rem chamber any more.

Has a 1oz trigger, aluminum bedded stock plus I have a bunch of brass ready to be fire formed. It will shoot 1/4" groups all day, and sometimes less than half that with about any 52-55gr bullet and whatever powder you want to stuff in the case that is appropriate.

I think it has a 36X scope on it and I have all the Wilson dies, tools and an arbor press from Sinclair.

Probably forgot a lot since I haven't shot it in 25 years. I have tried to almost give it away but no one wants it since every piece of brass for ammo has to start out as either .222 Rem or .223Rem. It taught me how to really load for accuracy without getting into a full blown BR rifle and it was fun punching small holes at 100-200 yards.

I shot a couple of matches with it and while I came nowhere near 1st place I was far from last.

Just having fun.
Old December 17, 2018, 06:40 PM   #38
dontcatchmany

I have only traded two guns. Now have 20 handguns and 5 long guns.

Have had a complete shooting shoulder replacement....not from shooting... and now that shoulder hurts at times so do not shoot long guns very much any more.

I traded a S&W 686 + 7 shot 6 inch for a Ruger SR22 and a bunch of 22 LR ammo. Never liked the long barrel on the 686 but I sometimes think I might like to have it back.

I also traded a Sig P938 which had had several problems for a Glock 27 plus some dollars. Had lost faith in the P938 so was and am glad to be rid of it. However I am now having problems with the G27 that I hope to fix soon....not a big Glock fan, but the gun has grown on me so I will get it fixed and shoot the heck out of it.

I also have a GSG 1911-22 that has taken forever to be even remotely reliable shooting and since it is not worth much, I will keep it and at times shoot it.

I try to do a rotation of all 20 handguns to keep them from gathering dust. I just like shooting them to see the variances in my abilities to shoot them as opposed to the specific ones that I actually use in SD types of places and shoot more often..... i.e. vehicles, work sheds, etc.

Do not plan on getting any more guns, just want to get better at shooting in general and with the ones I have. At least I have a handgun range in my back yard and can shoot quite often..... just costs way more than a 40 mile round trip to a range as I shoot a lot of ammo and have a tendency to make up "needs" for another gun.

And, yep, retired for 14 years after getting out of the rat race at 57. Wish I had done it sooner.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; December 17, 2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 17, 2018, 08:22 PM   #39
walnut1704

I've got a few myself. But outside of actually needing the money, why sell? They can sit. Might get around to them later.
Old December 17, 2018, 09:14 PM   #40
RaySendero

I've got 1 I'm thinking about selling,
BUT I've sold a few and, like others, I've regretted selling every 1 of them.

I've passed some onto my son and daughter-in-law.
They are both avid hunters and shooters.
Haven't regretted passing them down to family!
Old December 18, 2018, 10:12 AM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I haven’t regretted selling or trading any of mine. I have more that I regret buying than I’ve regretted moving on. But the sales and trades have opened up better opportunities down the road.

Why leave cash wrapped up in an unused asset if it doesn’t have an emotional reason to keep (like an heirloom) or you aren’t a collector?

I agree with this. For several reasons I sold 90% of my stock. Needed money, I don't shoot, use, or have use for them, another weapon does their job better, and biggest epiphany of all is that I was in a Cat 4 hurricane with all my survival stuff ready, plans read, just ready to see that ish hit that fan when I looked down and realized I had 3-4 bags full of guns.

If the flood had happened like they said or if the wind had torn off the roof like they said, where would and what would they all be of use?

Ditched most. Sad about some. But I'm in a new town house and have my stable small and full of use.
Old December 18, 2018, 10:35 AM   #42
Cheapshooter

Quote:
another weapon does their job better
Mine do not have to have a specific tactical or sporting job. For many of them having them fills a "job". Be it unique design, historical significance, nostalgic remembrance of my younger days afield, hunting, self defense, or just because I think they are cool.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 18, 2018, 10:39 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Well, that's your prerogative and I don't disagree with it. You collect for many reason and I think that's cool. I just can't sit on things like that.
Old December 18, 2018, 11:28 AM   #44
Charlie98

I really only have 2 firearms I regret selling, plus 1 honorable mention. If I don't use it, I get rid of it for something else I will... I don't do safe queens. Having said that, I have a few arms that I don't particularly frequent... I hardly shoot shotgun anymore, and because of the .22LR shortage a few years ago, and the subsequent cost increase, I don't shoot a lot of rimfire anymore, either... but I'm not going to sell off my .22's, a few of which are quite sentimental to me, including my first rifle (Marlin 15,) my first pistol (Buckmark .22 I bought when I was in the Army.)

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 18, 2018, 09:59 PM   #45
armednfree

I do have another I don't shoot and won't sell. It's a Blackhawk 45 colt. My buddy gave it to me because its cylinder would not lock. He had shot the heck out of that gun for years. I replaced the cylinder latch and spring and was going to gift it back to him when he died.

Dude was like a brother to me, busted me up to find him deceased in his house.
Old December 19, 2018, 06:21 PM   #46
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I haven’t regretted selling or trading any of mine... the sales and trades have opened up better opportunities down the road.

Why leave cash wrapped up in an unused asset if it doesn’t have an emotional reason to keep (like an heirloom) or you aren’t a collector?
I agree. I've sold about twice as many guns as I currently own, and those sales and trades have allowed me to try a lot of different guns over the years. If I don't LOVE them, they leave. I end up shooting my fav guns over and over anyways, so let's sell the ones that don't get used and keep searching for a new fav.
Old December 26, 2018, 07:01 PM   #47
Slotback

Don't regret any of my sales. I used the funds to upgrade.
Old December 27, 2018, 04:51 PM   #48
Targa

S&W 642, I am trying to like it and trying to become proficient with it but that little thing is just flat out unpleasant to shoot. I am going to put a bit more effort into it but right now I am leaning towards it going away.
Old December 28, 2018, 08:21 AM   #49
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
S&W 642, I am trying to like it and trying to become proficient with it but that little thing is just flat out unpleasant to shoot. I am going to put a bit more effort into it but right now I am leaning towards it going away.
Had one and I agree 100%..traded it for a Glock 42. Not only no fun to shoot, couldn't hit squat with it..it was pretty tho.

I have one I don't shoot much, a LCP..I shoot it to make sure it works..fills that 'can't carry anything else that day', pocket type carry..but no fun, even with Hogue grip and 13 pound spring set.

Still searching for a Glock 25..unicorn and odd choice for sure. Goin' to Tanners tomorrow...ya never know??

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 28, 2018, 09:00 AM   #50
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapshooter
Mine do not have to have a specific tactical or sporting job. For many of them having them fills a "job". Be it unique design, historical significance, nostalgic remembrance of my younger days afield, hunting, self defense, or just because I think they are cool.
Exactly, while a few of mine do have specific "jobs", this pretty much sums up the way I look at mine. I've never sold a gun I've bought. I've never regretted any gun I've ever bought, because every gun is unique and has SOME redeeming qualities. Even those I've lost favor with for various reasons and don't shoot often, I still keep them. I understand that for some, they don't have that luxury. I've given a few I've inherited to other relatives, but that doesn't count.