The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 7, 2018, 03:00 PM   #26
Lohman446

I've played the rotation game before. I still hold one exception to what i am going to say: because when I am out alone my options are much greater I will take my NAA Mini in 22 MAG with me running.

If I have to move my eyes towards the gun to active a control, clear a malfunction, or reload its not going to make it into the rotation.

I have spent a lot of time shooting a G29 or a G19. Not nearly as much as those in the gun games. Operating them is second nature and I doubt, in a high adrenaline situation, I would notice the difference. Still its becoming more and more that I have even given up this rotation and opt to carry the G19.

Every gun has flaws. You may not have experienced a malfunction yet but, given enough rounds, your "flawless" gun is going to fail. Murphy's Law says this is going to be at an inopportune time.

A gun is not making it into my rotation until I can clear a common induced malfunctions (a dummy round) without letting the malfunction distract me in training.

There is a limited amount of training YOU are going to undergo. Everyone has limits be they financial or time. Time spent training with gun Y makes you less proficient with gun X. If you MUST have a rotation the firearms in that rotation should be as close to possible to each other as possible.

Yes my NAA violates my own rule. I would like to point out an "appeal to hypocrisy" is a logical fallacy. Naming me a hypocrite does not actually address the strength of the argument it addresses flaws in the arguer.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:40 PM   #27
Drm50

#1 Rule, only first rate quality makes and models. Absolutely no second rate designs or the clones of the tried and prooven makes & models.

#2 Rule, no accessories of any kind on gun, other than sights and grips.

#3 Rule gun has to have been shoot several hundred rounds with no glitches.
Old December 29, 2018, 10:19 PM   #28
ice monkey

Interesting, I’m just in the midst of adding one, and having taken one out. That said, tomorrow will prove if the one I took out, comes back in or not.

To get into the “club,” it’s got to go 500 rounds flawlessly. I never count the first fifty. What happens in in the first 50, stays in the first 50, after that though, my eyes are open.

Why not the first 50? Man, springs got to settle, wrists need to figure out where to hold... 50 might be too liberal, but it’s a box and hence, easy to figure. The next 500 can’t be shot all at once either. There needs to be a cleaning in between.

Ideally, I’ll be able to mix the 500 with different weights and bullet types. After the 500, 100 of the intended carry ammo and balm, Bob’s your uncle if there isn’t any issues.

Now that’s easy for me to do because at the end of the day, I’m not in any rush. I have a great collection already. I will admit that back in the day, a good reputation and 200 would do it for me. I was a lot more cash and time poor back then.

Anyway, my G42 after thousands of rounds started to act up. After 4 failures to feed, I packed it in. I just put new recoil springs in her. If she eats the 200 ball and 100 hollow points and Underwood’s I have slated for her tomorrow, she’s back in!

Tags
carry conceal , edc , failure , malfunction